Feb 27, 2005
Texas
✟761.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hobo[IG leader] said:
Can I ask what kind of music fits into those catagories?!?!?!
Nothing? I thought not...

Here's my two cents: Secular music ROCKS! Sounds like you need to get some Metallica into you. Then some Radiohead. Then ease your way into something faster, like Dragonforce. Then Steve Vai. hmmm that pretty much covers all bases. The ones worth covering anyway...

Musicphan has it DEAD on. Christian music is for the musically retarded; utterly predictable and never adventurous. You hear one Christian album and BAM you've heard them all.

Sure, they aren't meant to be musically mature or anything, they are there to praise God, right? Well good on them. Praise the lord! However, I think that you need to be MORE careful listening to said 'christian' music. Too often, people say things that may not be theologically correct. Whoops. Hate to screw up there...worst is when you don't realise, and end up liking the lyrics to a blasphemous song...

Alternatly, you could just accept that we live in the world and party on from there. Do you seriously think that someone listening to...hmmmm...'All Within My Hands' by Metallica is suddenly going to go out and 'Kill kill kill kill', purely because that is in the lyrics?! ahahah NOOOO!!!!
Ever heard the song 'Number of the Beast' by Iron Maiden? Fantastic song, I'd recommend it to anyone. But hang on, how can something called that NOT be satanic? That was precisely the reation of a bunch of tree-hugging conservative hippies when the album came out in the 80's. Subsequently, because said bunch of idiots reacted in such a way, Iron Maiden were written off as satanic by a large number of people. If only they had looked further than face value, they would have discovered that the song is about a nightmare one of the members had after he saw a movie...

My point? Branch out and mellow out about the whole issue. It's like not playing Counter Strike because someone might inappropriate content spray. Boo hoo, just avoid it and move on...just because something potentially may be bad, doesn't mean you should avoid it. And avoiding bad is pretty easy. Just lower your standards of bad...

Sure, there's a line. It varies from person to person too. But mate, you are throwing so much away by rejecting secular music...SO much.

No swearing? ahaha funniest part is, words are only given meaning by people such as you or me. We can take that meaning away just as easily, or modify words to mean what we like. My point? Swear words are only considered 'bad' because some dude decided to get offended by them at some stage. In 50 years, the 'black list' of words will have changed completely. It's all subjective, so why get uptight about it? Whether you get offended is your call and your issue, not mine or anyone elses. So why get offended by mere words? Worry instead about intent...do you really believe that musicians want you to do what they say? They just want to make an awesome record (although some just want the cash...avoid these scumbags! Scourge of the music industry! Hereby labled as poop music...), not influence you in a negative fashion...
There may be some kind of input of their personal views on issues (ie Rage Against the Machine and politics) but that's merely what they think, not you. They aren't out to get you, just make great music and if they are relying that much on lyrics, should you bother anyway? Probably not...

Suggestive? That's quite often a given, but who cares? Sex happens, more often out of marriage than in. To not listen to music that might involve this is pretty ludicrous, its like denying it exists. I think my biggest issue with this is it's a whole lot like putting your fingers in your ears and sitting in a corner going 'BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH'. And in the long run, that doesn't solve a thing...

um yeah ultimately it's your call; if you feel that so called 'secular' music is affecting your relationship with God in a negative fashion, then I agree you should bail, but I really cannot see any reason why it should.
Seems like dropping all secular music is taking the easy way out...

AMEN 'NUFF SAID!!!!! :thumbsup: good job

Upvote 0

Cultus_Diabolus

Apr 13, 2006
Hell
✟15,178.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Breetai said:
Uhhh... huh? Where did you get this idea?

I know that some of the guys in Iron Maiden are Christian. Dave Mustain of Megadeth is, Alice Cooper is, and many others, but they haven't always been Christians. I've never heard of anyone from Metallica being a Christian though.

Though their image isn't what you think it should be, if you really look into and think about their lyrics you'll see they are Christian. The same with Black Sabbath. If you wonder why every member of Black Sabbath wears a huge cross on their necks it's because they are strong Christians, not because they're mocking it. Watch "Some Kind of Monster" the Metallica movie and you'll see they're Christian.

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Cultus_Diabolus said:
Though their image isn't what you think it should be, if you really look into and think about their lyrics you'll see they are Christian. The same with Black Sabbath. If you wonder why every member of Black Sabbath wears a huge cross on their necks it's because they are strong Christians, not because they're mocking it. Watch "Some Kind of Monster" the Metallica movie and you'll see they're Christian.

As for Black Sabbath, wearing a cross on your neck means nothing! When I walk around in the trendy areas of Tokyo, I see many people wearing crosses. Virtually none of them are Christian. It's an image. (by the way, I don't *think* anyone's image should be anything. Do not make false accusations about me again!) Have you ever seen an Ozzy or Sabbath concert? I have. Yelling at the ladies in the audience to "show me your ******s" is not a Christian action. It's an anti-Christian action, as it's sinful. I'm not saying at all that Ozzy, or Black Sabbath has ever been anti-Christian. It would be more accurate to describe them as pro-Christian, but not necessarily Christian. Many of their lyrics show of searching and reaching out for God. Yet, they're actions show that they have seriously backslidden if they were Christians in the first place. I have never heard of them openly saying that they have faith in Jesus. Christians are commanded to do this. Saying "God bless you" at a concert doesn't mean much at all. Whether any of the members have been open about whatever they believe in recently, I have no idea. At best, these guys are complete hypocrites. They wear Christian symbols on their necks, and talk about God and running away from the Devil, yet they have set a horrible example for people with their lifestyles. 'Strong Christians', as you claim, they are not. Weak hypocritical Christians is a possibility.

As for Metallica, I don't have so many of their lyrics memorized in my head to honestly judge them. As for their lifestyles, they were well-known for being very heavy partiers back in the day. So, again, at best, they would be weak hypocritical Christians. Now, you claim they are Christians. I have never heard of anyone in Metallica being a Christian. Do you actually have any solid quotes that these guys have recently gained a faith in Jesus the Christ as their Lord? It wouldn't completely surprise me (as opposeed to what you seem to think that I think, judging by what you've already said). If any of the members are Christian, this would have to have been a recent occurance.

So, if you have any evidence of these guys being Christians, put it out here to see! I would be most interested.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
songmp3 said:
I too wish to tell that bad music does not happen. Each music has a listener.
what about me ,I listen as well as Russian and English music
Priveit!

We are talking about the words, or lyrics, in the music. For a Christian, there is some music that is not so good to listen to. It isn't always 'bad music', just not good music for a Christian to hear.

So, it is not the style of music that is bad. Heavy metal, rock, rap, hip hop, pop, classical and others can all be good music. Language doesn't matter either. If it did, I would worry about my Korean and Japanese music!

Upvote 0

Kellen

Jul 21, 2005
NJ,USA
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
justanobserver said:
I picked "good enough" - its your rules for you on what and how you listen to. As others mentioned, music affects each person different and if a certain genre has an adverse affect on you then follow your rules for you.

agrees.

Upvote 0

Kellen

Jul 21, 2005
NJ,USA
✟1,527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
AFallingStar said:
I generally try to stay away from music that has swearing in the lyrics, but that's just because I never swear and I have a tendency to sing along to songs when I hear them. On the other hand, "trying to stay away" from music hasn't really been all that effective with me...I am drawn to certain songs not of my choosing. The bottom line is that I can't really control what music I like if I expose myself to it all (which is what I do).

But whatever works for you, I'd say do it. To each his/her own. :)[/quote

this is how I'd answer this question but seeing as it's been posted-I'll just thunbs up and move on.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spdnet75

Veteran
Apr 21, 2006
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
✟18,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Subzerohero111 said:
I would like a strait answer.... I listen to some secular music. I want to be careful what i listen to, so i want to ask people i dont know....
i set these rules for my music...
1) No cussing
2) No provacative lyrics
3) No other suggestive lyrics

if these do need more just tell me....
what do you think?
Unfortunately, the world is not sparkling clean and we are not perfect beings.
One person's bad music is another's good.
Music is one medium in which we all share an interest and would seem to be a universal desire amongst all of humanity. :)

Upvote 0

Cultus_Diabolus

Apr 13, 2006
Hell
✟15,178.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Breetai said:
As for Black Sabbath, wearing a cross on your neck means nothing! When I walk around in the trendy areas of Tokyo, I see many people wearing crosses. Virtually none of them are Christian. It's an image. (by the way, I don't *think* anyone's image should be anything. Do not make false accusations about me again!) Have you ever seen an Ozzy or Sabbath concert? I have. Yelling at the ladies in the audience to "show me your ******s" is not a Christian action. It's an anti-Christian action, as it's sinful. I'm not saying at all that Ozzy, or Black Sabbath has ever been anti-Christian. It would be more accurate to describe them as pro-Christian, but not necessarily Christian. Many of their lyrics show of searching and reaching out for God. Yet, they're actions show that they have seriously backslidden if they were Christians in the first place. I have never heard of them openly saying that they have faith in Jesus. Christians are commanded to do this. Saying "God bless you" at a concert doesn't mean much at all. Whether any of the members have been open about whatever they believe in recently, I have no idea. At best, these guys are complete hypocrites. They wear Christian symbols on their necks, and talk about God and running away from the Devil, yet they have set a horrible example for people with their lifestyles. 'Strong Christians', as you claim, they are not. Weak hypocritical Christians is a possibility.

As for Metallica, I don't have so many of their lyrics memorized in my head to honestly judge them. As for their lifestyles, they were well-known for being very heavy partiers back in the day. So, again, at best, they would be weak hypocritical Christians. Now, you claim they are Christians. I have never heard of anyone in Metallica being a Christian. Do you actually have any solid quotes that these guys have recently gained a faith in Jesus the Christ as their Lord? It wouldn't completely surprise me (as opposeed to what you seem to think that I think, judging by what you've already said). If any of the members are Christian, this would have to have been a recent occurance.

So, if you have any evidence of these guys being Christians, put it out here to see! I would be most interested.

Okay, Black Sabbath on stage, their stage image at least, is really just Ozzy. Nobody else in the does crazy stuff like that. But it's just a show. Ozzy on stage and Ozzy off stage are way different. And they all have professed their deep Christian beliefs. Look at the lyrics for After Forever by them and tell me that isn't Christian. They never talk about God running away from the Devil I don't know what you are talking about (and yes, I do know every Black Sabbath song (from the Ozzy era at least). Ozzy has repeatedly talked about how on stage he just wants to give the fans a good show, that accounts for his crazy behavior. He does it all for the fans.

And for Metallica, like I said, watch Some Kind of Monster. End of story.

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Cultus_Diabolus said:
Okay, Black Sabbath on stage, their stage image at least, is really just Ozzy. Nobody else in the does crazy stuff like that. But it's just a show. Ozzy on stage and Ozzy off stage are way different.
Why give off two messages? What a hypocrite!

And they all have professed their deep Christian beliefs.
Oh? Where?

Look at the lyrics for After Forever by them and tell me that isn't Christian.
I've probably been listening to that song for longer than you have, but I'm only guessing. It's a very Christian sounding song, and it very well may be the band trying to convey a Christian message. Or, it may be them searching and honestly questioning whether Christianity is real or not. It's a very positive, although cryptic, song. Just because this song was written by someone, doesn't mean that the writter is a Christian.

They never talk about God running away from the Devil I don't know what you are talking about (and yes, I do know every Black Sabbath song (from the Ozzy era at least).
You completely misquoted me.

Ozzy has repeatedly talked about how on stage he just wants to give the fans a good show, that accounts for his crazy behavior. He does it all for the fans.
What about his well known drinking, drug and adultery problems from the past? That leads one to believe that he wasn't a Christian for a time span of a couple of decades at least; spanning from the Black Sabbath years, all the way to No More Tears. More than two decades. Why does he never talk about any faith in Jesus now? What has his life, through his reality show, shown concerning any faith in Christ? It has shown the exact opposite. I very much doubt that Ozzy was ever a Christian, at least from his late-teens onward.

As for the other members of Sabbath (discounting the numerous vocalists), I know nothing about their faith.

And for Metallica, like I said, watch Some Kind of Monster.
How about you just tell me the parts where they show they are Christians? I cannot find this in Japan, and I have no intention of importing this from overseas.

End of story.
No, because you failed to validate your point on Metallica, which was my original question. I am not planning on watching one video, in which you subjectively claim that shows the members of Metallica's faith in Christ. Show me some evidence to back your claims.

You do make an objective, although weak because of limited evidence, claim for Black Sabbath though. That's definitely something!

Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
songmp3 said:
It is the truth that we cannot listen to any music :))
But too we cannot argue on tastes.If somebody like a rep to me it not to taste :))

I hope somebody will not take offence
No offense taken.

You're right though, everyone has difference tastes in music style. It's impossible to listen to every kind of music, because there are so many!

PS, in your first sentence, you should not use the word "any." You would be more clear if you said, "all kinds of music." :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jcsavedme12

May 15, 2006
✟7,628.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm completly behind Breetai on this one.

Music is a means of expression that is more powerful than simply spoken word. If this is not believed to be true then find me an example of this not working.

The singular peculiarity of music is that the performers' own sins and beliefs are expressed throughout their music whether through word or just simply through the spirit that is behind the music.

When using any gift that God has given you, whether using it God's way or not, your Spirit (and all attached spirits) will follow through into your audience.:clap:

Reactions: Lion_Knight
Upvote 0

Breetai

Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
jcsavedme12 said:
I'm completly behind Breetai on this one.

Music is a means of expression that is more powerful than simply spoken word. If this is not believed to be true then find me an example of this not working.

The singular peculiarity of music is that the performers' own sins and beliefs are expressed throughout their music whether through word or just simply through the spirit that is behind the music.

When using any gift that God has given you, whether using it God's way or not, your Spirit (and all attached spirits) will follow through into your audience.:clap:
Luke 6:45

The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

:)

Upvote 0

foo-oswald

There goes my hero...just a patsy...
Mar 11, 2004
Right here
✟2,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jcsavedme12 said:
When using any gift that God has given you, whether using it God's way or not, your Spirit (and all attached spirits) will follow through into your audience.

I agree completely! That is exactly what I have been trying to say in so many "Christian Music vs. Secular Music" threads.

I don't necessarily get too deep into the "spirit of this" and "spirit of that" discussions, but I suppose that's for another thread.

A Christian musician shouldn't be disparaged because he/she doesn't conform to the CCM model any more than a Christian painter should be disparaged because he/she doesn't scrawl "Jesus Is Lord" in bright orange paint across the front of his/her latest work of art.

The words of Jesus:

John 13:35 (The Message): "This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples--when they see the love you have for each other."

For me, that's what it's all about... :)

Upvote 0

jcsavedme12

May 15, 2006
✟7,628.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But you must be careful, because if you don't pay attention, then whatever the musicians have attached to them (ie-drugs, drinking, sex, etc) will flow into you. If you don't pay attention to what the spirit behind the music is, then you will be caught up in a spiritual battle that could have been completely avoided if you hadn't decided to listen to a band going on about doing some girl.

By avoiding the mainstream, you can also avoid the mainstreams' sins, not completely, but a large chunk of them.

Music is something that feeds into us so much that we assimilate into what they are doing, whether it be physically or just spiritually at the moment.
As Breetai stated Luke 6:45 "A good man produces good out of the good storeroom of his heart. An evil man preoduces evil out of the evil storeroom, for his mouth speaks from the over-flow of the heart."
So as you may note, whatever is in your heart will flow through your gift into your audience. Thus, if you aren't saved, whatever your sinful desires be, they will flow just as easily as a Spirit-filled person's strength.:)

Upvote 0