QUESTION: Should Christians take a more AGRESSIVE or PASSIVE approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caleb89

Some people believe that in this day and time, Christians need to take a more aggressive approach to spreading the Gospel. They believe we should be openly preaching it to everyone.

Others believe that Christians need to take a more passive approach to spreading the Gospel. They believe you should just live your life as a Christian an let yourself be a living example of the Gospel.

What are your thoughts?

Should we as Christians be taking a more AGRESSIVE or a more PASSIVE approach to preaching the Gospel?

Selznak

No King But Jesus
Jul 6, 2003
Nevada
✟17,278.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that Christians should be much more aggressive in spreading the Gospel message. There are far too many believers who are waiting instead of working! We desperately need to proclaim the truth of God's Word in every corner of our nation and the world.

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
I think that Christians should be much more aggressive in spreading the Gospel message. There are far too many believers who are waiting instead of working! We desperately need to proclaim the truth of God's Word in every corner of our nation and the world.

I agree...we have allready been way too passive...look what happened...it is like living in Sodom & Gomorra. ;)

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm..I think God needs to tell whomever to share gospel. I don't think everyone is capable to do so.
Either way can work..i think..

I tend to agree with you -- to a point. Not everyone is able to talk with people and present the Gospel in a way that will be listened to. But I think we ALL need to do a better job of living the Gospel. That way we may open doors for those who can speak.

Reactions: Sennaria
Upvote 0

eb693

Feb 10, 2007
✟15,163.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mmm, does seem like Christianity in general is in a bit of a slump. The Church as a whole seems to be taking a stand in the UK against the Government's attempts to force Catholic adoption agencies to offer places among same-sex couples - slightly off-topic, but perhaps taking an active approach in protesting or street-corner-gospel might help revive people's interest? More school religious groups? I think the problem is, before schools taught Christianity as a faith, as to a group of young christians; now, they are taught about faith, rather than to believe. It is now dependent on the parents to develop the religious side of their children...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people believe that in this day and time, Christians need to take a more aggressive approach to spreading the Gospel. They believe we should be openly preaching it to everyone.

Others believe that Christians need to take a more passive approach to spreading the Gospel. They believe you should just live your life as a Christian an let yourself be a living example of the Gospel.

What are your thoughts?

Should we as Christians be taking a more AGRESSIVE or a more PASSIVE approach to preaching the Gospel?

Agressive? Reminds me of a church in a nearby town where every Saturday they send a group of men stand on the corners at a busy intersection and, at the top of their lungs, "preach" to the people going by in their cars. There is no pedestrian traffic to speak of, just these guys shouting at cars.

There are many ways to preach the Gospel and we need to use all of them. The gifts God gives us to use, the work He calls us to, the circumstances... all are factors in deciding what and how we spread the Good News.

Upvote 0

Sennaria

Veteran
Sep 26, 2006
Hill Country, Texas
✟17,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend to agree with you -- to a point. Not everyone is able to talk with people and present the Gospel in a way that will be listened to. But I think we ALL need to do a better job of living the Gospel. That way we may open doors for those who can speak.

I think rather than saying people should be more agressive, I would prefer to say that people should be more active. Agressive comes across in a way that I find often not helpful.

Marv

I think that there is plenty of room for both; living examples of his teachings, and people to actively spread the word, so to speak. Evangelism and beatitude, we need it all :)

There are many ways to preach the Gospel and we need to use all of them. The gifts God gives us to use, the work He calls us to, the circumstances... all are factors in deciding what and how we spread the Good News.[/quote]

I so agree with all of these thoughts. Even agree with the thought that agressive may not be the right term as that tends to have negative conotations with it....reminds me of bible thumpers of whom I cannot stand because I do not relate to bible thumping. They are like a car salesman to me, push me too hard I run away.

However, there is a place for all evangelistic methods now adays.
Mostly though, I believe, if we live for Christ and in Christ that is the best evangelistic tool we can use. If we don't hide Him, if we give Him glory for all that He is due glory for people will see Him in us.

I don't believe in hellfire and brimstone sermons or preaching in fear, I don't believe in Christians who judge others for sin when none of us are perfect. We should move forward and evangelize in love, reach out when others won't, speak when others won't and stand up for our faith when others won't.

Sennaria

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
I have just read Acts again this week...the word boldness comes to mind...those Apostles had it and prayed for it...they also were wise and humble. Full of the Holy Ghost ... I think their prayer life is a good example for us too...we need God's Spirit at work...opening our mouths, keeping them quiet if need be...this is a good verse from Paul:

according to my ernest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. Phil 1:20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silliness

Feb 17, 2007
✟7,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
i personally think that it just depends on whether or not YOU'RE passive or aggressive. because if a passive person tries to be aggressive in their approach to evangelism, it will come off as fake. likewise for a person who is aggressive and tries to be passive.

God created us as who we are, and those things apply to every part of our lives, including how to minister to people. there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it.

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
well, it depends on what kind of agressive. if it's a radical, forceful type of aggresive, then absolutely not lol, but if it's just getting more serious about working to get people to convert, i don't see a problem.

however, i think we need to find more approaches to spread the gospel. i don't think that spamming people and going door to door is good.

domestically, i think we need to focus more on educating people by having websites, hotlines so people can ask questions, we need to offer more literature, and we need to set up more programrs at universities and such.

as for worldwide and in places where there aren't a lot of christians (like in india or something) we need to get more charities going, and we need to show a good example. and we don't need to be forceful.

we shouldn't just be spreading one type of christianity either. like i for example am an extremely huge liberal. and so are most teens and young adults. think we need to assure people that they can be a liberal and a christian, or something like that. i honestly believe that the reason churches are getting more empty is because people are being scared away from it.

Upvote 0

chickenutbread

Feb 14, 2007
✟15,177.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
aggressive i suppose. not to the point where we're forcing christianity upon them, but telling the blatant truth about christianity, not just telling others the good but also the bad that might come along. the reason why people don't like being passive is because the ones hearing the message don't get the ENTIRE message and fall away when hard times comes (like the parable of the seeds in vine, rock, soil).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.