Question: Rep-A-Holics, at what point, becomes dysfunctional like alcoholics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Question..

I apologize if anything I say here may come off the wrong way. FOr I enjoy others who truly do delight in repping others because they truly wish to support others.

Nonethelss, I've noticed something from specific others that has been perplexing me for awhile...and I felt it was necessary to addresss it here.

When reps are given to a posting (or a string of postings) by one individual and yet there's no real description of what they got out of a post---is that to be considered offensive? For many times, it gives off the impression that reps are simply given out as a means to an end that the person repping is trying to get at...namely, achieving a goal of having a number of reps given out rather than really giving encouragement/support of something that was noted by a poster.

I'm not saying this to say others doing so are not sincere--but it can come off the wrong way. In example, when looking at one's rep page, not all of the rep references are kept due to how new reps push the older ones down...and when 5 to 10 to 15 or more are just given out (sometimes, seemingly at random), it pushes away those refernces you'd like to go down to.

Has anyone else here experienced the same? Or am I crazy in what I'm thinking? For in all realness, there've been a couple of times I considered either saying something publically--or, if there was no response given, simply reporting it/asking it to be removed. Not saying reps aren't appreciated---but at times, there can be a bit of insincerity that can come with them if one sees they're given out just because someone wants to be either be a "rep king" or "rep queen" and gives them out for their own benefit rather than truly encouraging because they were encouraged/learned something.

Habakk

Prayer Team †
Jun 10, 2011
Teesside
✟36,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Easy G (G²);58846056 said:
Question..

I'm not saying this to say others doing so are not sincere--but it can come off the wrong way. In example, when looking at one's rep page, not all of the rep references are kept due to how new reps push the older ones down...and when 5 to 10 to 15 or more are just given out (sometimes, seemingly at random), it pushes away those refernces you'd like to go down to.

All references are kept. If you go to User CP then look at the list of options on the left you will see an option for Your Reputation. Selecting this option will allow you to view your complete history both of reps given and reps received.

Upvote 0
D

Doof-Le-Moi

Question..

I apologize if anything I say here may come off the wrong way. FOr I enjoy others who truly do delight in repping others because they truly wish to support others.

Nonethelss, I've noticed something from specific others that has been perplexing me for awhile...and I felt it was necessary to addresss it here.

When reps are given to a posting (or a string of postings) by one individual and yet there's no real description of what they got out of a post---is that to be considered offensive? For many times, it gives off the impression that reps are simply given out as a means to an end that the person repping is trying to get at...namely, achieving a goal of having a number of reps given out rather than really giving encouragement/support of something that was noted by a poster.

Has anyone else here experienced the same? Or am I crazy in what I'm thinking? For in all realness, there've been a couple of times I considered either saying something publically--or, if there was no response given, simply reporting it/asking it to be removed. Not saying reps aren't appreciated---but at times, there can be a bit of insincerity that can come with them if one sees they're given out just because someone wants to be either be a "rep king" or "rep queen" and gives them out for their own benefit rather than truly encouraging because they were encouraged/learned something.
Most people like getting reps. I've yet to have anyone say otherwise, even if I don't put anything into the comments; the mere fact of getting a rep is, for most, an encouraging thing in and of itself.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge the hearts of those giving them, but that's just me because I have no way of knowing whether someone is being insincere or not when repping me - but then I like getting them too, comments or not, maxed out or not...

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Question..

When reps are given to a posting (or a string of postings) by one individual and yet there's no real description of what they got out of a post---is that to be considered offensive?
i personally get very blessed by a rep for something i said in a post that blessed someone.... i want to understand what i said that blessed the person.... that is a great blessing to me.... and i love how you never lose the reps..... you can go to VIEW ARCHIVE on the rep blue band and see ALL the reps that have dropped off.... i love to read the inspiring words people said about me or my post....

i do that for others too.... when their post blesses me.... i rep them and tell them what their post meant to me.... i try to be specific so that they can be blessed..... and this too becomes a permanent list of all the posts that bless me....

what i don't feel blessed by is an empty rep from someone who didn't read my post AND didn't get blessed..... it feels like a let down..... i don't know what they are trying to say to me when they don't say anything..... it feels like i am not even valuable enough to warrant a minute or so of their time..... they spent one second on me.... that really doesn't feel good....

and a series of empty reps from someone really feels like a let down..... it feels like i am being used rather than honored/loved/blessed/valued..... to me it feels impersonal..... empty.... careless..... meaningless..... etc..... i feel unblessed / spammed.....

love you all.... you are awesome..... blessings.... peace.... prayers.....:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

ps. i understand that there are games where everyone is repping everyone as part of the game.... for the people involved that is fun..... and there is a common goal and motive that everyone in the game AGREES on.... that is a different scenario..... but outside of that specific game thread.... i think most people love/are blessed by a meaningful rep.... based on something they did/said.... and are let down by an empty rep.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I spent way to much time on here for awhile. But I was the first person to a billion..LOL..Like that matters now sheesh...

Howdy Watchman....

I was the one who started the Repaholics Sub-Forum. I deliberately created a parody of AA as a way to make giving reps some fun and build some friends. The results were amazing... almost a quarter million posts in six months with rep soaring to unimaginable levels. The subforum attracted a hundred or more regulars and built a lot of camaraderie among many who were burned out in the debates on other parts of the forum.

Repaholics made repping fun.

Forum politics resulted in a number of the key leaders leaving CF and the forum moved toward toward more mechanical exchanging or reps without as much creativity.

So, why not inject some creativity and see what happens.

drstevej (formerly Rep Daddy)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All references are kept. If you go to User CP then look at the list of options on the left you will see an option for Your Reputation. Selecting this option will allow you to view your complete history both of reps given and reps received.
It appears there is no way to leave a rep message like before....or am I just not seeing it? :scratch:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Howdy Watchman....

I was the one who started the Repaholics Sub-Forum. I deliberately created a parody of AA as a way to make giving reps some fun and build some friends. The results were amazing... almost a quarter million posts in six months with rep soaring to unimaginable levels. The subforum attracted a hundred or more regulars and built a lot of camaraderie among many who were burned out in the debates on other parts of the forum.

Repaholics made repping fun.

Forum politics resulted in a number of the key leaders leaving CF and the forum moved toward more mechanical exchanging or reps without as much creativity.

So, why not inject some creativity and see what happens.

drstevej (formerly Rep Daddy)
Sounds like a plan!:oldthumbsup: :ebil: :pray:
Will you be my "Rep Daddy"? ehehe

Change this song name to "Keep on Repping!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why, o' COURSE he iz, pard'na

but he ain't got nuthin' on this o' here newer version

dancing-smiley04.gif

4chsmu1.gif
I bet dees dudez culd really rockz da danc flo back in da dayz..........................

371959083_l.gif

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.