Aug 15, 2014
Lisbon, Portugal - Yes, that little rectangle next
✟15,521.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good evening, everyone.

As some of you might notice, I'm not a Roman Catholic, but I'm putting here a question for the sake of knolwege gathering and sating my cousin's curiosity, and since our family is atheistical, we have nobody else to ask but to post this here, where others might have the knolwege to explain this to us.

The question is a simple one: Are women allowed to take a Master of Divinity degree in a Roman Catholic seminary? This is not a question on wherever women can be ordained or not, merely if they can study in a Seminary, even if they're not going to be ordained afterwards, as I know that the RCC does not ordain female clergy.

Many thanks for your attention,
God Bless you!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Women are more than welcome to get a masters in theology. My husband's cousin is doing as much now. As far as seminary, that is a study for priests. As far as I know there are no women in seminary. What would be the point?

Good evening, everyone.

As some of you might notice, I'm not a Roman Catholic, but I'm putting here a question for the sake of knolwege gathering and sating my cousin's curiosity, and since our family is atheistical, we have nobody else to ask but to post this here, where others might have the knolwege to explain this to us.

The question is a simple one: Are women allowed to take a Master of Divinity degree in a Roman Catholic seminary? This is not a question on wherever women can be ordained or not, merely if they can study in a Seminary, even if they're not going to be ordained afterwards, as I know that the RCC does not ordain female clergy.

Many thanks for your attention,
God Bless you!

Upvote 0

SilverAvenger

Old-Catholic and Jewish Interfaith Minister
Aug 15, 2014
✟15,521.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Women are more than welcome to get a masters in theology. My husband's cousin is doing as much now. As far as seminary, that is a study for priests. As far as I know there are no women in seminary. What would be the point?
My cousin would like to follow her calling as a Priest. Considering that she is a girl, it's not allowed, so she was going for education in a Roman Catholic seminary, then atempting for ordination at an Anglican Church, since the Lusitanian Anglican Church has no teaching facilities for new priests, and we're very close to Roman Catholics [I'm Old Catholic, she's Anglo-Catholic]. That was her idea, at least.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
She would not be allowed to stay at the Seminary and be part of Seminary life but they are normal colleges in many respects. Each varies in what they allow. There are also many other Catholic Colleges that provide excellent M.Div degrees.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Her best bet is just to investigate it for herself. Our cousin who is female is studying for a masters in theology. Her brother is studying in seminary to be a priest.

My cousin would like to follow her calling as a Priest. Considering that she is a girl, it's not allowed, so she was going for education in a Roman Catholic seminary, then atempting for ordination at an Anglican Church, since the Lusitanian Anglican Church has no teaching facilities for new priests, and we're very close to Roman Catholics [I'm Old Catholic, she's Anglo-Catholic]. That was her idea, at least.

Upvote 0

SilverAvenger

Old-Catholic and Jewish Interfaith Minister
Aug 15, 2014
✟15,521.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Single
She would not be allowed to stay at the Seminary and be part of Seminary life but they are normal colleges in many respects. Each varies in what they allow. There are also many other Catholic Colleges that provide excellent M.Div degrees.
In Portugal, things are not that simple. You only have two universities that have Theology, and in both, it's an integrated Master's degree. And the conditions to get in are almost impossible, hense the idea. Thanks still, I'll tell her that she'll have to find a way to talk to the Rector somehow...

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know of many lay women (and men) who have obtained a Masters degree from our area seminary (which is now called a School of Theology). They serve in parishes and in diocesan ministries. Often, having a Masters is a job requirement. I think it is a wonderful idea to give lay people interested in pastoral ministries the opportunity to gain the education and training they need to serve our faith communities.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know my husband's cousin has a desire to teach theology one day. I think her goal is to be a professor.

I know of many lay women (and men) who have obtained a Masters degree from our area seminary (which is now called a School of Theology). They serve in parishes and in diocesan ministries. Often, having a Masters is a job requirement. I think it is a wonderful idea to give lay people interested in pastoral ministries the opportunity to gain the education and training they need to serve our faith communities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums