Question regarding atheists

dh316

Jul 16, 2007
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Hi all,

This is my first time posting, though I've been an avid reader for quite a while. I wanted to pose a question to others that I was recently asked myself.

An atheist classmate of mine recently claimed that no atheist could ever be elected to high office in this country. I didn't agree, and told her that the country was becoming less Godly, not more. However, she went on to ask me different questions about my attitude to atheists, and I thought it might be interesting to see what y'all might answer.

I'll try to remember the questions, though I'm sure the wording will be different:

1. Would you ever vote for a presidential candidate who openly claimed to be atheist/agnostic? What if they had exactly the same beliefs as you about abortion, gay marriage, gun control, and every other issue?

2. Would you vote for any politician (congress, school board, mayor, etc.) who openly claimed to be an atheist?

3. What would be your reaction (she meant concretely, as in would I protest, or write letters, etc.) if an atheist president was elected? An atheist politician for a different position?

4. How would you feel if your son/daughter (future son/daughter for me) dated an atheist? What if he/she married them?

5. If you found out that a close, longtime friend had been lying and was secretly an atheist, how would you react?

I'll give you my answers later, but for now, thanks for reading! I know that this is kind of long, but I would definitely be interested in reading other people's opinions!

God Bless!

jasmine88

May 13, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1. Would you ever vote for a presidential candidate who openly claimed to be atheist/agnostic? What if they had exactly the same beliefs as you about abortion, gay marriage, gun control, and every other issue?
Probably not.

2. Would you vote for any politician (congress, school board, mayor, etc.) who openly claimed to be an atheist?
I doubt it.

3. What would be your reaction (she meant concretely, as in would I protest, or write letters, etc.) if an atheist president was elected? An atheist politician for a different position?
I wouldn't mind, so I'd probably wouldn't take any type of action.

4. How would you feel if your son/daughter (future son/daughter for me) dated an atheist? What if he/she married them?
I wouldn't mind if my child was casually dating an atheist, but I would be against him or her marrying one.

5. If you found out that a close, longtime friend had been lying and was secretly an atheist, how would you react?
That seems hard to imagine, being close and longtime friends...but for the sake of the question, I would still be friends with the person.

It may seem that this country is becoming less godly, and separation of church and state is very important, I still believe that many people still consider this country to be founded on Christian principles and consider themselves even "somewhat religious" and like their politicians to reflect that. People were surprised that JFK was elected because he was Catholic and even now people make a big deal out of Mitt Romney and he's a Mormon.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Yes. I'm voting for their political beliefs, not their religious beliefs.

See #1.

Seriously, I'd probably write a letter congratulating them on being so honest.

Not a bad idea. At least they wouldn't be lying about being Christian, because they wouldn't be Christian at all.

I'd probably say "yeah, I was for a long time too." Or kvetch about how I suspect parts of the OT are not literal but rather metaphorical. Actually I've done both of the above.

Upvote 0

alphacheese

If God brings u to it, He will bring u through it
Jun 7, 2007
Montana!
✟21,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm getting a little fed up with this country (USA), and most definitely with it's commander-in-chief. It's interesting that this country (yes, USA) was founded on Christian beliefs, and "we're" fighting so hard to get the Ten Commandments taken out of the courtroom (oops, too late), take “Under God” out of pledge (do we even know what a PLEDGE is?) Oops, God is mentioned repeatedly in original government documents and papers that founded the nation. I heard this funny commercial on the radio the other day about how this government employee was destroying all these historic documents and national monuments because they had reference to God in them.

To answer your question, I’m one of those idiots that says your vote doesn’t matter anyway :p … unless the rest of your state agrees (but that’s how the state decides anyway, so it’s a vicious cycle of idiocy) But I wouldn’t vote for an atheist or marry one, and neither would my children.

Did any of you see “Man of the Year?” It almost makes me wanna cry that we can’t have Robin Williams, or his theatrical equivalent, as our president.

Upvote 0

Fed

Veteran
Dec 24, 2004
CA
✟17,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I vote based on political stance, not religious affiliation. Atheists are no less honest or hardworking than the rest of us.

I vote based on political stance, not religious affiliation. I'm not sure why someone would go around openly claiming to be an atheist, but it's irrelevant.

I vote based on political stance, not religious affiliation.

I wouldn't want them dating an atheist that tries jamming beliefs down their throat. If they mutually respect each other, it's ok - and probably a valuable learning experience. Marriage I wouldn't approve since it would lead to too much disagreement once kids arrive.

I'd be disappointed that a close, longtime friend would lie to me.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2007
✟15,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to pose a question to others that I was recently asked myself...

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I'd be glad. Finally somebody might quit trying to use religion to gain people's support, and focus on the issues for once.
4. I would be fine with my (future) kids dating just about anyone, so long as they're happy.
5. I wouldn't be shocked at all. Everybody comes out to me. Everybody. About everything. If they're gay, bi, atheist, religious, in the US illegally, whatever they're hiding, I always end up being the one to know first. I'm cool with it. What matters is that people just get along.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
(If they would benefit God, I suppose i'd vote for them,(Like votes matter) but it's easy to put on the mask, midaswell do it. )

2. Would you vote for any politician (congress, school board, mayor, etc.) who openly claimed to be an atheist? (I don't know. Probably. )

(Not suprising, I would hope that our leaders would take off their masks soon. Reaction would be that I would be indifferent.)

(Well, I would have hoped to have brought them up right, so I wouldn't be happy seeing as they would KNOW what they are doing even though the know it is wrong and will only cause trouble.)

5. If you found out that a close, longtime friend had been lying and was secretly an atheist, how would you react? (With love, I'd have to pray for the Lord to give me the right way to react because i'm not certain what words I'd use, but then again, the Holy Spirit would help us see who is and isn't, don't you think? But most of all I ask the Lord to react with love and no hatred or telling them to go away.)

Upvote 0