Question on speaking in tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am don't know whether or not to believe the speakin' in tounges in the sorry for lack of a better term "spiritual babbling" sense.  I do however believe that you can speak in tounges in the sense of another language in order to spread the word, even if you haven't studied or learned the language. But the whole "spiritual babbling" concept just doesn't make any sense to me.  My girlfriend believes in it and says she has done it.  I know that is is/was a part of her spirituality.  I just don't know what to believe after hearing so many disaster stories from people in Penecostal Holiness churches, and her coming out of one.  The Penecostal faith is reall the only faith that I know that is all about some speaking in tounges.  My question is why is it so great, how does saying something you can't coprehend bring you closer to the Lord, how does it come about...I mean are you just praying, singing,  etc and here you go "babbling"?  I have prayed hard about this for monthes asking for an answer and I am trying to dig deeper to get an answer...and find what I truelly believe...I am open minded enough to give it a fair chance and find out if it is something that it is something of truth.  Please give me any help that you can.  Hopefully some of my "babbling" LOL on here has made some since thanks all

GOD bless,

Xnot A citizenX  :pray:

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Today at 12:32 AM Xnot A citizenX said this in Post #41

Well I am don't know whether or not to believe the speakin' in tounges in the sorry for lack of a better term "spiritual babbling" sense.  I do however believe that you can speak in tounges in the sense of another language in order to spread the word, even if you haven't studied or learned the language. But the whole "spiritual babbling" concept just doesn't make any sense to me.  My girlfriend believes in it and says she has done it.  I know that is is/was a part of her spirituality.  I just don't know what to believe after hearing so many disaster stories from people in Penecostal Holiness churches, and her coming out of one.  The Penecostal faith is reall the only faith that I know that is all about some speaking in tounges.  My question is why is it so great, how does saying something you can't coprehend bring you closer to the Lord, how does it come about...I mean are you just praying, singing,  etc and here you go "babbling"?  I have prayed hard about this for monthes asking for an answer and I am trying to dig deeper to get an answer...and find what I truelly believe...I am open minded enough to give it a fair chance and find out if it is something that it is something of truth.  Please give me any help that you can.  Hopefully some of my "babbling" LOL on here has made some since thanks all

GOD bless,

Xnot A citizenX  :pray:

Xnot A citizenX

Here is a response I gave to someone else on the issue. It helped him to have a better understanding and he's speaking in tongues now on a regular basis and seeing quite a few changes in his walk with God as a result.

Hopefully it will help you understand the point.  Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.  I don't necessarily know everything, but I know a lot.  :D

It is my understanding that there are 2 types of tongues. Which means, that the Holy Spirit, using your tongue, speaks in a language you don't know and have never studied.

1. A language that someone, somewhere on earth would understand in the natural. We see this in Acts 2:4 where the disciples along with several others are filled with the Holy Spirit. As part of this infilling they began to speak in different and foreign languages they had never studied. As a result, in every dialect within the city that day, was heard the glories of God.

2. A language of Angels.[/B] I believe this one can be split in to 2 parts.
A. Prayer between you and God only. This is for your edification. For you to be made stronger.Paul refers to this in 1 Cor 14:2, 4

B. A message for the body that needs someone with the gift of interpretation to interpret. Paul refers to this one in 1 Cor 14:1, 3, 5-13. Reading the whole chapter is a good idea.

WHAT'S THE POINT?

The point of tongues as described in #1 is, I believe to be mostly a witnessing tool to someone of another language who needs to know Jesus. That is basically what is seen in Acts 2 . There were about 3000 souls added to the church that day (v41)

I had a friend, who when waking up from surgery was approached by the nurse and asked how long he had spoken Hebrew. He told her he did not speak Hebrew. She then told him that while under anesthetic, he spoke fluent Hebrew, and the surgeon, who was Jewish, understood every word. While being operated on my friend witnessed to his doctor.

I've also heard of other situations where missionarys spoke in languages they had never studied and people were saved because it was in their language.

The point of tongues as described in #2A, is to build you up spiritually, which may also manifest physically. Such as your feeling depressed, you allow the Holy Spirit to pray through you in your heavenly language, He requests what is needed, you are strengthened, and you feel uplifted spiritually and physically.

We can see this in Romans 8:26-28 (Amplified) "the Holy Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.

And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the Holy Spirit, what His intent is, because the Spirit intercedes and pleads before God in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will.

We are assured and know that
God being a partner in their labor , all things work together and are fitting into a plan for good to and for those who love God and are called according to His design and purpose".

The trinity, working together for your benefit is in full view in these 3 verses. When we don't know how to pray, the Holy Spirit, praying through us, intercedes for us. The one who searches the hearts of men (Jesus), understands what the Spirit is requesting through you. And then God, who is in partnership with them (Holy Spirit and Jesus) works everything together for good to those who love Him, and fits it into His design and purpose.

This form of tongues can and should be used at any time. You can pray out loud or you can pray silently. When witnessing to a Muslim once I prayed silently in tongues the whole time. And each step of the way the Holy Spirit directed.

You can pray in tongues when you are in need physically, spiritually, or mentally. When your feeling weak and see the possibilities of walking into sin, pray in tongues, you will get the strength you need to overcome

When being like Christ seems too tough and you feel like giving up, pray in your heavenly language and you wll get the strength to persevere.

Pray in your heavenly language when you see you need more love, peace, joy, longsuffering, gentleness, etc. You may not know what to say but the Spirit is never at a loss for words.

Pray in tongues when your overwhelmed by God's love for you. I sing to Him in tongues all the time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post.  I have read most of those versus before over and over.  The thing is, I may have missed it, but where in the Bible does it show where anyone again sorry for the lack of a better term "spiritually babbled".  Is there an evidence of it at all in the Bible?  If so where? 

Also when speaking in tounges do you control the tounges or when you speak them?  Or all of a sudden do you just start "babbling"? Or what?

Thanks for all the help you have given me, I do appreciate this.  As it is something I have been praying about for awhile now thanks :wave:

God Bless,

Xnot A citizenX :pray:

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday at 05:25 PM Xnot A citizenX said this in Post #44

Thanks for the post.  I have read most of those versus before over and over.  The thing is, I may have missed it, but where in the Bible does it show where anyone again sorry for the lack of a better term "spiritually babbled".  Is there an evidence of it at all in the Bible?  If so where? 

Also when speaking in tounges do you control the tounges or when you speak them?  Or all of a sudden do you just start "babbling"? Or what?

Thanks for all the help you have given me, I do appreciate this.  As it is something I have been praying about for awhile now thanks :wave:

God Bless,

Hey again,

Can you clairify what you mean by babbling?  The dictionary definition of babble is:

1. a: to talk enthusiastically or excessively b: to utter meaningless or unintelligible sounds.

2: to make sounds as though babbling

3: to utter in an incoherently or meaninglessly repetitious manner.

I've heard, mostly those against tongues, refer to tongues as babbling, but that's certaintly not how scripture refers to it. 

1 Cor 14:2 (NKJ)  For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

It may sound like babbling to the human ear but to God's ears it is communication in the spirit rhelm.

WHEN SPEAKING IN TONGUES DO YOU CONTROL THE TONGUE?  OR ALL OF A SUDDEN DO YOU JUST START "BABBLING"? OR WHAT?

1 Cor 14:31-33 (Amplified) For in this way you can give testimony [prophesying and thus interpreting the divine will and purpose] on by one, so that all may be instructed and all may be stimulated and encouraged; For the spirits of the prophets (the speakers in tongues) are under the speaker's control [and subject to being silenced as may be necessary], For He [Who is the source of their prophesying] is not a God of confusion and disorder but of peace and order.  As [is the practice] in all the churches of the saints (God's people),

The answer to the first part of your question is yes.  You are in control.  This is not like a seizure of some sort :), although some are known to portray it that way.  LOL

I remember the first time I ever gave a message in tongues.  The Spirit had been working on me for weeks, trying to get me to respond to His gentle prodding that He wanted to use me in this manner.  In my fear I held it in. 

But finely, one day I had held it in for so long that it just burst out of me. Sorta like a balloon that has reached it's point of popping because there is no more room left.  LOL

Since then, that was many moons ago, I have learned to respond immediately and that way it doesn't sound so uncontrollible. 

I grew up being told that the only time one could speak in tongues was when the Spirit came upon them in some "frenzied" way, but that is not true.  The Spirit in us is always willing and ready to make intercession for us and others.  We can pray in tongues any time we choose. 

As far as you controlling the sounds that come out. . .allow a lot of fluctuation.  With some people, at the beginning there are alot of the same sounds, over and over again.  I believe that as they mature in this gift and relax that the sounds will change and it will sound more and more like another language.

You don't need to do anything special.  When you get in your private time with God, ask Him for that gift, then pray, but not in english, or any other language you know. 

You will hear sounds in your head and I would suggest going with the sounds you hear in your head.  You'll mostly likely feel stupid, the enemy most definitely does not want you to do this.  But you just push forward and do it anyway.  :)

As thoughts come into your head about other persons or situations, continue praying in tongues, the Spirit is most likely interceding for them.      

Most of all, just relax.  And enjoy this special communication that is there between you and God.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0
What I meant by "babbling" was just that..uttering things that seemingly have no meaning.  Not speaking in a language.  I hope I didn't affend you with the term....because I really couldn't think of another way to put it...And that is the only thing I have ever really heard about it...I thank you for helping me out on this subject...I have been for a while and am continuing to pray about this....the fact is I don't know if it is something I believe can happen or if it is just a bunch of "bologna" or whatever...but I am being open minded...and I am sure since I am going to the source...ie God...that I am sure some how I will find out....But thanks for your help and support Quaffer....it is much appreciated....

God bless,

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Today at 12:05 AM Xnot A citizenX said this in Post #46

What I meant by "babbling" was just that..uttering things that seemingly have no meaning.  Not speaking in a language.  I hope I didn't affend you with the term....because I really couldn't think of another way to put it...And that is the only thing I have ever really heard about it...I thank you for helping me out on this subject...I have been for a while and am continuing to pray about this....the fact is I don't know if it is something I believe can happen or if it is just a bunch of "bologna" or whatever...but I am being open minded...and I am sure since I am going to the source...ie God...that I am sure some how I will find out....But thanks for your help and support Quaffer....it is much appreciated....

God bless,

Xnot A citizenX

God bless you too.  And absoutly no offense was taken on my part.  When one does not understand what is being said, I suppose to that one, it is babbling.  It's not a term I'm fond of but I took no offense.  Really.  :)

God says, if you seek Him with all your heart, He will be found. . . so just continue searching and asking.  Also, check out what sbbqb7n16 says here about his learning experience with tongues  http://www.christianforums.com/threads/36743-2.html (I'm having a hard time getting it to go to the exact post.  It's post #12)

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.  This is a gift that I operate in, so I do know a lot about it. I'm more than happy to share what I know.  

Quaffer

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Quaffer

One great thing that I heard Dave Wells say about speaking in tongues was this "If speaking in tongues was wrong or evil, you would be seeing people in bars speaking in tongues. In the book of acts, what was the first thing the church did when they recieved the Holy Spirit? Speak in tongues."

This one great bible study that I goto which is lead by a calvanists, said this. "There are times when you want to talk to God, but you run out of things to say, thats when you carry over into tongues."

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Today at 02:27 AM Andrew said this in Post #49

wa ai ka le gong ye saw jin ai le !!!
sen ai ni!

And. . .Andrew says, Glory be to God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come . . .:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
When the gifts were listed in various books/chapters in the bible, they were not listed in order of importance, or preference.  I think Paul, through the Holy Spirit, did this on purpose so "no one can boast" as to what their gift of the Spirit is.  Besides, it's not from us, it's from Him. :)   We're to use it to further the Kingdom of God, not to further our own agenda or ego's (whatever the gift may be).

The gifts of the Spirit are given to sealed believers. Not what the believer requests or wants, but what God wants to give them to add to the body of Christ.  If everyone could speak in tongues, then we would only be an "arm", where Christ is the Head, and there wouldn't be any legs, hands, torso's, feet, etc. to complete a "whole" body in Christ.   Not everyone can "speak" in tongues, and that's quite all right.  The Lord is gracious enough, and giving enough, to give each believer the gift that best suits God's purpose, and our personalities which goes hand in hand.

Keep in mind ~ one gift is not more important than the others, exept love. If one cannot show/speak love to others, the gift of the Spirit that is given to you is worthless, whether it be prophecy, mercy, teaching or tongues, etc. 

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
[/QUOTE]

Hello blindfaith,

Like you, I don't believe tongues is the most important gift either.  But that was the subject question of this thread and none the less is a gift. 

1 Cor 14:1 (NKJ) says, "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy."  Since we are told to desire I would assume that would involve asking.  I believe the gift of tongues as a prayer language to God is for everyone, but is not required in order to be a Christian. 

I believe this because 1 Cor 14:4 says, "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself".  This would be the Spirit praying through us in incouraging our spirits and giving us the strength we need to do whatever it is we need to do.  And since God is not a respector of persons (Acts 10:34), I can't see that God would give one a gift that would help build up one member but withhold it from another.   

Just as you've pointed out, love is the most important one.  The gifts are not for us to horde to ourselves but to be used to minister the Love of Jesus to those around us.  Lost and hurting people who need to see Jesus in us and hear from God through us.

Quaffer

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 01:11 PM blindfaith said this in Post #51 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=694843#post694843)

When the gifts were listed in various books/chapters in the bible, they were not listed in order of importance, or preference.  I think Paul, through the Holy Spirit, did this on purpose so "no one can boast" as to what their gift of the Spirit is.  Besides, it's not from us, it's from Him. :)   We're to use it to further the Kingdom of God, not to further our own agenda or ego's (whatever the gift may be).

The gifts of the Spirit are given to sealed believers. Not what the believer requests or wants, but what God wants to give them to add to the body of Christ.  If everyone could speak in tongues, then we would only be an "arm", where Christ is the Head, and there wouldn't be any legs, hands, torso's, feet, etc. to complete a "whole" body in Christ.   Not everyone can "speak" in tongues, and that's quite all right.  The Lord is gracious enough, and giving enough, to give each believer the gift that best suits God's purpose, and our personalities which goes hand in hand.

Keep in mind ~ one gift is not more important than the others, exept love. If one cannot show/speak love to others, the gift of the Spirit that is given to you is worthless, whether it be prophecy, mercy, teaching or tongues, etc. 

When Paul is speaking here, he is just giving some order for when they assemble.
If we were to have only one or two or however many gifts, thats it no more, then he would have said, pursue "your" gift that God wants you to have. But he didn't say that, he said pursue the gift that edifies the church the most, which is prophesy.

Look at this verse in the Amplified version. This is word for word, and bracet for bracet :)

"What then, brethren, is [the right course]? When you meet together, each one has a hymn, a teaching, a disclosure of special knowledge or information of it. [But] let everything be constructive and edifying and for the good of all." `1 cor 14:26

Paul wished that all spoke in tongues, and that all would seek to prophecy. He was just setting some order for when "you meet together". When you meet together, then you should fall in order to how you believe God would have you to use a gift.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Today at 03:47 PM SUNSTONE said this in Post #54

I asked someone today. "How does a mute person speak in tongues?"
They said, "I don't know, how?".

I scribbled on the board. :p

[pong]:p GROAN! :p[/pong] 

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday at 09:45 PM Andrew said this in Post #57

actually i used a dialect i know and it means "I want to tell you Jesus really loves you. God loves you". But your interpretation sounds better. *L :)

OooooK, so I need to hone interpretation skills via the forum  :)

I was not really attempting to interpret, which I know you know. . . but actually, "Jesus loves you" was the first thing that popped into my head.  Then the other one popped in and I used it instead. 

I'm still learning to go with the first thought.  Even when I was just playin'.  :D 

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.