Question on Solid State Drives

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟424,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all,
I am curious here. Is having a SSD better than using a Hard Disk Drive? If so why? If not, why not? I have one and have used it. Yes my pc is quicker, but that's about it. Care to tell me the benefits VS the downsides? Thanks

Reactions: -Luca

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟676,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think quicker is the main advantage. Also you don't have any moving parts and it is quieter, lighter and uses less energy. There maybe other advantages too, but they do cost more. I swapped out an old drive (that went bad) for a SSD in my laptop and the biggest advantage; like you said seems to be speed.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
It's noticeably and ridiculously quicker. If you need to do a heap of things that aren't confined to one process where it doesn't matter (ie just opening a web browser and keeping just that open all day), then you won't see any real benefit.

If you're doing a heap of multitasking with different programs or loading large amounts of data (ie games) a HDD is a huge detriment. Even 10 years ago when I had an SSD die and temporarily went back I couldn't cope with the slowness.

That said, plenty of reasons to keep HDDs: NAS, servers that don't require fast R/W, etc. You can't get the same storage out of an SSD (without paying a butt tonne more money). We bought some new servers at work that have a pair of SSDs, and 6 HDDs; we keep VM boot drives on the SSDs and all other data on the HDDs.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They also are much cooler, so they help a lot in laptops which don't cool the CPU as well as desktops do. I have a laptop that can take two hard drives. I use a SSD for the operating system and a regular HD for data, pics, movies etc.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I suspect they are less prone to breaking down.

Well... not in the same way. They're more reliable than they were 10-15 years ago, for sure, but you can still get dodgy flash, and it too will eventually die with use. Unfortunately there tend to be fewer warning signs than a HDD where you can usually hear it in the lead-up to it actually dying.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well... not in the same way. They're more reliable than they were 10-15 years ago, for sure, but you can still get dodgy flash, and it too will eventually die with use. Unfortunately there tend to be fewer warning signs than a HDD where you can usually hear it in the lead-up to it actually dying.

Yeah, but I imagine SDD on average tends to last longer?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟404,224.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I had my HDD, as well as my fan, fail on me last year, which was a real pain. It was a very high-end mini-PC, but the parts were so difficult to replace, I ended up upgrading and investing in a whole new PC. It's not super common for HDD to fail but it can happen. Now I've learnt the value of opting for SSD and a PC with parts that are more easily replaceable. I think if you can afford going for SSD, that's probably better as they're faster and more stable.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Yeah, but I imagine SDD on average tends to last longer?

In my experience: not necessarily. Just like HDDs there's a lot of factors to it failing or working. I've had SSDs fail without much provocation and relative use, and I've got a HDD that's over 10 years old still happily churning away with regular use.

More than anything, it really has to do with the parts that leave the factory and general use vs abuse. You get bad batches of both SSDs and HDDs, and on the flip-side you get some of both that last forever.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
HDD's usually have a longer life span. SSD's can die in one day or can last years. They are fast but can die fast too. I never put anything important on a SSD and for a tech like myself having just an OS on one is not a big deal. OS installs are easy and fast :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
SSDs do tend to get slower over time, as more writes occur. TRIM mitigates this noticeably but does not eliminate it. This is why you don't defrag an SSD.

Of course, they're crazy fast to begin with, so the trade-off is often worth it unless you need to be doing things that involve a ton of writes.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
HDD's usually have a longer life span. SSD's can die in one day or can last years. They are fast but can die fast too. I never put anything important on a SSD and for a tech like myself having just an OS on one is not a big deal. OS installs are easy and fast :)
You’re confusing two things. SSDs have a finite lifetime. But with recent models that should be long enough not to be an issue. However there are lousy SSDs. If a drive fails quickly, it’s not because of limited SSD life. It’s a bad drive. The limited life is caused by things that happen slowly over time. There are programs that will tell you how far along that curve your drive is. Fir Linux it’s smartctl, but I’m sure there are windows and Mac versions.

For normal PCs and laptops a good quality consumer SSD is fine. For certain types of research, IO rates are high enough that you need enterprise grade SSDs.

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Also when purchasing an SSD, always look at reviews from multiple sources. Some companies these days are using cheap controllers (on NVME SSDs) but not advertising that change. They send out samples with good controllers to major outlets, but then sell ones with poor controllers to the general public. Stick to companies like Samsung, Sandisk etc. Check video reviews of actual samples on Youtube.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟51,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Enterprise SSDs rarely fail. Consumer ones do all the time. At least for us.

Depends what you get (and whether or not it's a bad batch) and what happens with it. I've only ever had two SSDs die; one (SanDisk) was still while they were still relatively small and new, and one (Kingston) was a 24/7 running image management server that was subject to a lot of regular re-writes.

Upvote 0