Question on independent Baptists

DrenchedInHisBlood

Renewing the innner man
Jun 23, 2004
El Sobrante, California
✟21,277.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I married an independent Baptist woman and I have a question because of that. First let me tell you how we are. On Sundays we go to an independent Baptist church because that’s her background. And then after that that’s when we go to a church which is not independent Baptist. I recognize she takes notes on the sermon if it’s in the independent baptist church. But she doesn’t do that in my church.

My best friend is also married to an independent Baptist though he is not one. He used to attend my church with his family. At the same time he used to always attend the independent Baptist Church. But now he moved to the church where his wife likes. I noticed his wife is the same as my wife. She takes notes in the independent Baptist Church sermon but not in our church. Has anyone seen this kind of situation? Where someone is married to an independent Baptist and they went to both the IFB and non-IFB. Did their spouses also take notes only in the IFB?

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Baptists grow roots for their own denomination. They usually are pretty well versed in the bible. That's about the best I can offer you, my exposure (directly) is with one woman who I was beginning to think might have potential in my life long term. Though I have from other folks knowledge that this loyalty is or tends to be the case. She ( my friend, kind of sister in Christ that tentacles were growing for)has sought out a Berean Baptist man through facebook and they have met and it seems that is growing 9k mph. I say if you love your wife let her take the notes she wants but she is likely to trust the Baptist doctrines and her church first. Be blessed she even goes to your church. True devoted Baptists will always be Baptist at heart is my experience.

My church is non denominational but it runs closest to a Baptist platform. My friend tolerated and learned or agreed a lot with the preaching but I only recall a couple of times where she took notes. We do a lot of connecting dots so to speak all over the bible and by principle application to life today.

Last edited:
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I married an independent Baptist woman and I have a question because of that. First let me tell you how we are. On Sundays we go to an independent Baptist church because that’s her background. And then after that that’s when we go to a church which is not independent Baptist. I recognize she takes notes on the sermon if it’s in the independent baptist church. But she doesn’t do that in my church.

My best friend is also married to an independent Baptist though he is not one. He used to attend my church with his family. At the same time he used to always attend the independent Baptist Church. But now he moved to the church where his wife likes. I noticed his wife is the same as my wife. She takes notes in the independent Baptist Church sermon but not in our church. Has anyone seen this kind of situation? Where someone is married to an independent Baptist and they went to both the IFB and non-IFB. Did their spouses also take notes only in the IFB?

This would be an individual situation with one person. There would be no general trends on people taking notes in different churches.

It's important to allow people to do what they want to do without scrutiny of an awesome habit, like taking notes. When they say "It's a free country" is that in the US you are free to take notes at any time, for any reason without people watching what you are doing. That's not the case in many countries. In some countries you are arrested for taking notes. It suggests you are an international spy.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I married an independent Baptist woman
she takes notes on the sermon if it’s in the independent baptist church. But she doesn’t do that in my church.

At which church did you do your marriage preparation course?

Did you discuss which church you would join and attend as a marriage couple?

Have you asked your wife why she doesn't take notes of 'y our churches ' sermon?

In your opinion what differnce is there between the two sermons?

My advice would be to get a job that requires you to move far away from your home area so you can start again as a couple.

Upvote 0

DrenchedInHisBlood

Renewing the innner man
Jun 23, 2004
El Sobrante, California
✟21,277.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Please don’t get me wrong. This is just a curiosity question. The reason I ask is because I know it is the same pattern with my friend’s wife being an independent Baptist. So I don’t know if independent Baptist people just rather take notes at an independent Baptist Church or if it’s a coincidence with my wife and my friends wife.

Though I believe many of their teachings are dangerous, I let my wife know if I find something in the sermon that is dangerous in the long term. Usually it’s not by the pastor there. It’s usually by the guest speakers. They sometimes have speakers that will encourage the members to just stick with independent baptist churches. When I hear of a preacher like that I will immediately let her know that it’s not something to listen to. So it’s only in this instance when I will really say something. I think that is a little overboard. You should let the people decide if what they’re hearing in another denomination is better. Instead of deciding for them

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Blessed more than I deserve
Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a deacon at an Independent Baptist Church and I don't take notes on the sermon.

The main reason for that is that I found out I was just doing it to do it and I wasn't actually reaping much benefits with it. I don't think taking notes is somehow a "feature" of Independent Baptist Churches.

I would say a feature of Independent Baptist Churches (at least the ones that don't have aggressive pastors) is that we respect other denominations, but want to remain distinct in our own beliefs and practices.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I go to a Baptist church & a RCA church both. I take notes at Baptist church, I don't at the RCA one. Every Baptist church I've been to, they take notes during the sermon. Other denominations I've been to, they don't.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
She takes notes in the independent Baptist Church sermon but not in our church.

One possibility is that in the Baptist church the sermon may be an exposition of something from the bible. Taking notes allows one to record the references for later study. For example if the sermon is from Ephesians, taking notes might help one remember references made to other verses.

If the sermon in your church is topical, there might not be a biblical connection that would require later or expanded study. Then the task of keeping notes might not be needed.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baptists grow roots for their own denomination. They usually are pretty well versed in the bible. That's about the best I can offer you, my exposure (directly) is with one woman who I was beginning to think might have potential in my life long term. Though I have from other folks knowledge that this loyalty is or tends to be the case. She ( my friend, kind of sister in Christ that tentacles were growing for)has sought out a Berean Baptist man through facebook and they have met and it seems that is growing 9k mph. I say if you love your wife let her take the notes she wants but she is likely to trust the Baptist doctrines and her church first. Be blessed she even goes to your church. True devoted Baptists will always be Baptist at heart is my experience.

My church is non denominational but it runs closest to a Baptist platform. My friend tolerated and learned or agreed a lot with the preaching but I only recall a couple of times where she took notes. We do a lot of connecting dots so to speak all over the bible and by principle application to life today.

My wife takes notes whatever church she happens to be in. (She's been in a lot of different denominations over the years including General Baptists, but recently we concluded that Baptist was what fit us both the best so we're attending a Southern Baptist church.) It helps her to focus.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well their doctrine is sound and they preach right from the bible I. Their pulpits.

By the way, that friend I spoke of ? Well we got married this past Saturday. I spoke to Lord about her " Lord what am I to do with this, it's as though I have no pocket to put it in ? The fact of the matter is I can not ignore that I love her ". He came back with immediate reply in my heart and mind " tell her that". So I did. And here we are on a honeymoon in Niagara Falls Ny.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums