Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I didn't know where to ask this question but this seems to be a good place to start.

I just wanted opinions on the practise of fasting and when and how to do it. Scripturally where is this taught in the Bible. I see that in Matthew it says that Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights before he was tempted by Satan.

Jesus My Wisdom

Mar 28, 2004
✟569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
nephilimiyr said:
I didn't know where to ask this question but this seems to be a good place to start.

I just wanted opinions on the practise of fasting and when and how to do it. Scripturally where is this taught in the Bible. I see that in Matthew it says that Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights before he was tempted by Satan.

http://www.reference-guides.com/isbe/F/FAST_FASTING/

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
neph, although the Bible doesn't go into detail about fasting, we have tons of writings from early Christians outlining what they had been doing from almost the very beginning. The Bible as you have already read emphasizes the spiritual value of fasting.

The early Christians began fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays most weeks during the year. It wasn't a total fast from all food, but rather a strict vegetarian fast with smaller portions. The idea seems to be to deny ourselves at least in some way to desires of our appetites puts God first above those appetites.

The days they fasted were significant also because Wednesday is the day believed that Christ was betrayed by Judas and Friday is the day Christ was crucified. By fasting we sort of say hey he really suffered we can deny ourselves a little to at least feel a fraction of what he must have felt.

For more info check out www.orthodoxinfo.com

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fasting and Fast Free Seaons of the Church Year has dates/days and general guidelines.

Note that a personal rule of fasting should be determined with your spiritual father/confessor taking into account both your spiritual health and needs and you physical demands and abilities.

Upvote 0

aanjt

Jen
Dec 16, 2003
United States
✟559.00
Faith
Anglican
Also with fasting, people fasted when they sinned (Ash Wednesday starts the Penitental season of Lent, so there is fasting) and people fasted when someone died (family or friend, generally). King David was asked why he didn't fast after his son died at 1 week. It seemed odd that he didn't fast since his son died. But, you also see it when people sinned that they fasted.

Yours in Christ,
Jen

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.