May 31, 2005
✟119.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A few years ago i met this guy who really changed my life, at a Christian Get together. I had so many strong feelings for him, one day in Church I prayed to God, i said please give me a sign on how mine and this guys relationship is going to be or supposed to be! I said when i open my Bible i would like you to show me a passage on what are relationship is supposed to be. When i opened the bible it went straight to a page with a little clipping of to the side that said the perfect marriage!! Several different times when i asked for signs they have been given to me about him!!

So what i am trying to say is that, Do you think the signs that i got are really telling me to be with him. Is he the only one out there for me? I am so confused can you help me? Anybody?

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi AlwaysLost ,

Isn't it ironic that your name and the notion of " following signs " seem oddly connected .

I would suggest looking at the fruit a person bears , rather than for a sign , when it comes to knowing who you can trust with your love .

The idea that the Bible speaks on call like a " fortune teller " isn't the soundest approach to having Scripture confirm the truth .

Yeah , when I was younger I did the same thing .

But , I wouldn't base such grave a decision as who to give myself to , till death do us part , based upon a random opening of a page , which had a slip of paper , which would increase the odds of The Bible opening to that page .

There was a time or two when opening The Bible and reading wherever my eyes first focused , that seemed extraordinary ; but this was not done in a premeditated fashion . And efforts to reproduce such results were not at all the same .

The perfect marriage ??

I think that must be the marriage between Christ and New Jerusalem .(See Revelation 21:9+10 )

Marriage is challenging and about half of them fail .

Before marrying someone , it would be prudent to know how they respond / react under stress , because a good companion is one who loves when things are tough , not just when things are easy .

I hope this helps , and welcome to C.F.

Sincerely ,

wm

Reactions: joyousliving
Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟23,457.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
wayfaring man said:
There was a time or two when opening The Bible and reading wherever my eyes first focused , that seemed extraordinary ; but this was not done in a premeditated fashion . And efforts to reproduce such results were not at all the same .

Amen. I have seen it work, but not by my effort. The Bible is God speaking to us for sure. But usually it is like Standard Operating Procedures rather than a specific order. This is not say it cannot be, just that the tendency is for it to be as I have said. You can probably gain much by just randomly opening the Bible, as all reading of it is to some profit.

I think what you are trying to get is divination. What you need to look for is discernment.

Our hearts see hope where it is not. Perhaps it is the light in our hearts leaking out lighting paths that we are not meant to trod. With God all things are possible, but not all things are within His will. Seeking His will is good. But be prepared for this, that man may not understand the perfect will of God. Pray that you will do His will. That is about the best prayer I can suggest.

I do hope things work out for you. I am a romantic myself, so I have much experience looking for signs.

Upvote 0

AlwaysLost

May 31, 2005
✟119.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To explain myself.........It was a teen bible and i meant i looked at a little excerpt in the bible explaining things to teens, and it was all about a perfect Marriage, on how a christian marriage should be and work! It gave me scripture that i did look up, there was no little paper in the Bible. Sorry for being so confusing! I'll keep on praying!

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear ALwaysLost ,

May The Lord be pleased to call you " Ever Found " .

I concur with silentpoet's evaluation -

I think what you are trying to get is divination. What you need to look for is discernment.

We happen to be presently discussing the gift of discernment on this board .

Click on the word " Link " below to go to that thread , and read the posts , the discussion of discernment starts mainly on page 2 .

Link

May The Lord Be Pleased To Make His Way Plain Unto You . Amen .

Peace and Joy In Christ .

Sincerely ,

wm

Upvote 0

Ann Doupont

Veteran
Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
AlwaysLost said:
A few years ago i met this guy who really changed my life, at a Christian Get together. I had so many strong feelings for him, one day in Church I prayed to God, i said please give me a sign on how mine and this guys relationship is going to be or supposed to be! I said when i open my Bible i would like you to show me a passage on what are relationship is supposed to be. When i opened the bible it went straight to a page with a little clipping of to the side that said the perfect marriage!! Several different times when i asked for signs they have been given to me about him!!

So what i am trying to say is that, Do you think the signs that i got are really telling me to be with him. Is he the only one out there for me? I am so confused can you help me? Anybody?

In the Old Testament, there was a man named Gideon. He prayed if it be Your will, Lord, let it rain everywhere except on this sheep's fleece. That night it did. He then prayed if this is REALLY You, Lord, let it only rain ON the sheep's fleece. Again, it did. (Or, maybe it was the other way around, but both of these events took place.)

In the New Testament, we are given the Holy Spirit within us to guide us. I have heard of a minister who prayed, "Lord, if it be Your will for me to pastor this church, let there be 100% agreement," and there was. Six years later, as a pastor, the Holy Spirit spoke to him, saying that He had not called him to pastor that church.

The enemy is very clever. He can make us think that something is God's will for us, like Gideon's fleece. Nowhere in NT times are we to seek for a sign. God will confim His Word, yes. But, He said that an evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign.

We need to just spend time in the Word, reading it, studying it, meditating on it, and praying for God's will to be done. When the time is right, He will bring the right man into our lives. We won't be looking for a sign, but just to know Him. To know the Lord well, and to be walking in obedience to Him.

It is normal to want to be married to someone who has helped us. However, the feelings would need to be mutual.

No, that "sign" you got was not the Lord telling you that you're to marry him. It was a trick of the enemy to get you off track, sis.

With much love and prayers,

Ann

Upvote 0

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟16,374.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
great advice silent poet and wayfaring , i would always say go by the fruits and always wait a while before thinking of marriage to someone, if its love it will last and if God sent them, they will stay. my marriage to my husband was 7 yrs of dating, married 12 now, there was times when we would break up and move on just to find our-selfs together again, somehow i prayed and ask God to help me make the right choices in my life, and he did. always put God first and he will guide your steps. there is no perfect marriage eccept the one to God. most marriages fail because it was not thought out, prayed about and they were lead astray. just because you think you are seeing signs does not mean that it is from God. pray and get closer to God.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While God does sometimes bless us with signs, I would always be cautious. Two of my past boyfriends have shown me signs and instead both of those relationships ended up in heart break. Instead, look at what this person is really life... take the time to get to know him... all the good points and all the flaws. And then take the time to see if you could really love him, especially when he hurts you. I believe that's more of an indication of whether or not you two will be good for one another.

Just from experience, I keep my eyes open for signs, but I also now have the patience to test these signs in order to make sure they're true. Give this relationship to the Lord and He'll surely show you whether or not this person is right for you.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

joyousliving

-*-*-*-*-
Sep 13, 2004
✟16,033.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
AL - Welcome to CF!!!

I think that you might want to rethink your entire approach to dating and marriage. I highly recommend a book by Josh Harris called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and another book he wrote with his wife Shannon called "Boy Meets Girl."

Real Christian love isn't really tied to the feelings that you are talking about here. A relationship based on these sorts of fleeting emotions isn't the kind of relationship that will last a lifetime.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums