Nov 6, 2002
Augusta, Maine, USA
Visit site
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If you think having an abortion is the same as killing a child, and you want abortion to be outlawed in this country, I have a question.

Let's say pro-life people get their wish, Roe v. Wade is overturned, and all 50 states decide that abortion is murder and that it should be illegalized.

What would you like to see happen to women who go ahead and get an abortion? Should they stand trial for murder? Should they get prison sentences like Susan Smith, who drowned her kids? Or should they plead temporary insanity, like Andrea Yates (who also drowned her kids)?

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Nobody would ever put a woman in jail for having an abortion even if it was illegal, which it will never be since so many people benifit from the 'abortion war'. And anyone who thinks they should, such as mr emu, should realize that if that were happening now many key women in their lives (moms, aunts, sisters, etc) would be imprisioned and they themselves may never have been born.

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
flicka said:
Nobody would ever put a woman in jail for having an abortion even if it was illegal, which it will never be since so many people benifit from the 'abortion war'. And anyone who thinks they should, such as mr emu, should realize that if that were happening now many key women in their lives (moms, aunts, sisters, etc) would be imprisioned and they themselves may never have been born.

I agree it would probably never pass--abortion has never been considered murder under the law--but there are people who would want it. I think we can't overestimate the punishment that some people think sexually active women deserve.

But, it's highly unlikely that Roe will be overturned (it's political gold for Republicans, and if it were overturned they'd lose a significant number of voters who only vote Republican because of that issue), and if it were, there would be states where abortion is legal. As it is, over 85% of counties in the country don't have any abortion providers, and yet abortion rates are still very high. It just goes to show that when a woman wants an abortion, she will do what it takes--leaving the state, breaking the law--to get one. The way to reduce the abortion rate is to make sure that childbearing is an option that won't leave women shamed and in poverty and unable to complete their educations, rather than to make it illegal.

Upvote 0

judy

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Augusta, Maine, USA
Visit site
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Mister Emu said:
They should face a charge of either first degree murder... 25 to life, or manslaughter 10-15.

This brings to mind a related question:

Would you want every miscarriage (there are a lot of them) to be investigated, to make sure it occured naturally, and the woman didn't accidentally or intentionally cause the death of the embryo?

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
judy said:
This brings to mind a related question:

Would you want every miscarriage (there are a lot of them) to be investigated, to make sure it occured naturally, and the woman didn't accidentally or intentionally cause the death of the embryo?
Involuntary manslaughter?:confused: It's really not a well thought out plan....

Upvote 0

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And, if abortion was illegal, it's likely that women would return to using lots of non-medical means--coathangers, falls down the stairs, home "remedies"--to abort, and their abortions would look like miscarriages. So, if you truly had abortion enshrined as murder under the law, I can see no way around investigating all miscarriages as potential murders.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
judy said:
If you think having an abortion is the same as killing a child, and you want abortion to be outlawed in this country, I have a question.

Let's say pro-life people get their wish, Roe v. Wade is overturned, and all 50 states decide that abortion is murder and that it should be illegalized.

What would you like to see happen to women who go ahead and get an abortion? Should they stand trial for murder? Should they get prison sentences like Susan Smith, who drowned her kids? Or should they plead temporary insanity, like Andrea Yates (who also drowned her kids)?

We anti-abortionists want the medical practice of abortion to be made illegal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

judy

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Augusta, Maine, USA
Visit site
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Stinker said:

You want doctors prosecuted if they provide abortions, but the women who utilize them to get off scott free?

So I can go out and hire a hit-man to off my husband and only the hit-man will get in trouble? Cool . . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loriersea

Oct 11, 2005
Detroit, MI
Visit site
✟11,071.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How about eating tuna, or sushi, or soft cheeses? Those can carry chemicals or bacteria that can harm a fetus. Should we arrest any pregnant woman who dares to eat any of that?

What about using hot tubs, or taking baths that are too hot? Those can also be dangerous to a fetus. Should there be random bath temperature checks to make sure that no pregnant woman is using water that is too hot?

And, sleeping on your back when pregnant can cut off some of the blood flow to the fetus. It's recommended that pregnant women sleep on their side. I think it might be good to have the authorities randomly come into the homes of pregnant women while they sleep to make sure that they are not endangering their fetus by sleeping the wrong way.

I'm thinking the best idea might just be to round up all pregnant women into camps where they can stay for their pregnancies, and that way we can make sure that they won't do anything to endanger their fetuses.

Stinker said:

So you are in favor of illegal abortion. I get that. Does that mean you have no problem with women having non-medical abortions--falling down stairs, using coathangers, taking folk remedies, etc.?

Upvote 0

judy

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Augusta, Maine, USA
Visit site
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
shinbits said:
Only if it is made illegal, the brunt of the punishment should go to the one performing the abortion, which should be about five years.

Why should the hired killer get the brunt of the punishment? Why not the person who hired them?

Upvote 0

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
loriersea said:
I'm thinking the best idea might just be to round up all pregnant women into camps where they can stay for their pregnancies, and that way we can make sure that they won't do anything to endanger their fetuses.

"Why don't they take all the pregnant women, and move them to a state they're not using, like Idaho? [SIZE=-1]And since nobody cares any about Idaho anyway, I'd change the name to Pregnaho."

- Al Bundy
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0

judy

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Augusta, Maine, USA
Visit site
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
loriersea said:

Actually, for the first 4 -5 months or so, during the time the fetus is most vulnerable to toxic substances, it's very difficult to tell that a woman is even pregnant. So just to be on the safe side, maybe we should round up all women between the ages of 13 and 53 and keep a close eye on all their potentially fetus-endangering activities.

Upvote 0