Question for creationists only: What is the theory of evolution?

Creationists only: What is the theory of evolution?

• A fake scientific theory resulting from a deliberate conspiracy of scientists, governments, etc.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • An incorrect scientific theory that is a result of poor science, but not a deliberate conspiracy

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • A scientific theory that is partially valid / partially invalid, but not a deliberate conspiracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A valid scientific theory based on the current available evidence to date

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - Please describe

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I am not a creationist (non-creationists use this option to vote)

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,509.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Evolution assumes the fittest selection is made.
I don't even know what that means. Would you like to rephrase it? I can take a wild guess at what it might mean, but I don't want to put words in your mouth, especially as the only plausible meaning I can drag out of it represents a total misunderstanding of evolution. So I'm working, for the moment, on the idea that I'm being especially dumb today and that's why I can't grasp what is probably a straightforward statement. Looking forward to clarification assuming you want to get involved with
discussing science honestly or objectively.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

AdB

Heb 11:1
Jul 28, 2021
Leusden
✟71,650.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think one huge problem for evolution is how new functional dna was formed even once the impossible leap from non-live to live was somehow made... Lenski's e-coli experiment has yielded some mutations that lead to some changes in the bacteria, but non of these are about really new genetic code.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I think one huge problem for evolution is how new functional dna was formed even once the impossible leap from non-live to live was somehow made... Lenski's e-coli experiment has yielded some mutations that lead to some changes in the bacteria, but non of these are about really new genetic code.

What do you mean by "really new genetic code"?

Also worth noting is there are numerous examples of gain-of-function mutations in the literature. So that in itself isn't an issue for biological evolution.

Upvote 0

AdB

Jul 28, 2021
Leusden
✟71,650.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by "really new genetic code"?

Also worth noting is there are numerous examples of gain-of-function mutations in the literature. So that in itself isn't an issue for biological evolution.
Quite literaly what I say, initially there was no genetic code, live somehow started and then bit by bit all the genetic code somehow came into existance... how?
Lenski's experiment definitely did not yield evidence for this. Gain of function doesn't neccesery need to be actual new function, as far as I know there are none, else it would have been shouted from the rooftops...

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Quite literaly what I say, initially there was no genetic code, live somehow started and then bit by bit all the genetic code somehow came into existance... how?
Lenski's experiment definitely did not yield evidence for this. Gain of function doesn't neccesery need to be actual new function, as far as I know there are none, else it would have been shouted from the rooftops...
How Evolution Builds Genes from Scratch.

Reactions: Frank Robert
Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"But then she stumbled on studies suggesting that genes do not always evolve from existing ones, as biologists long supposed."
"Instead, some are fashioned from desolate stretches of the genome that do not code for any functional molecules."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Isn't taking something out of context and then pretending it says something it doesn't called... lying?
It usually is and appears to be this time around. It was clearly a falsehood, an obviously false claim.

• Agree
Reactions: Phred
Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just saying what the article said
in·teg·ri·ty
/inˈteɡrədē/
noun
noun: integrity
  1. the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
  2. the state of being whole and undivided.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

If you're talking about the origin of things like RNA and DNA, that's a question of biochemistry and origin-of-life research.

Lenski's experiment has nothing to do with origin of life, so no, it wouldn't answer it.

Gain-of-function mutations are what they say; a mutation that enables a new function in an organism (whatever that may be). I'm not sure what you mean by "actual new function". If you're wondering about what enables the function to exist, that's the biochemical processes and interactions that are inherent in biochemistry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AdB

Jul 28, 2021
Leusden
✟71,650.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're talking about the origin of things like RNA and DNA, that's a question of biochemistry and origin-of-life research.

Lenski's experiment has nothing to do with origin of life, so no, it wouldn't answer it.

Gain-of-function mutations are what they say; a mutation that enables a new function in an organism (whatever that may be). I'm not sure what you mean by "actual new function". If you're wondering about what enables the function to exist, that's the biochemical processes and interactions that are inherent in biochemistry.
I see you are coming with the same deflections as other atheists, no use continuing this discussion

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I see you are coming with the same deflections as other atheists, no use continuing this discussion

1) I'm not an atheist.

2) There are no deflections here. I'm simply trying to understand your position and what you mean by some of the terms you are using.

But if you don't want to elaborate on that then you're right, probably no use in continuing the discussion.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is not an apt quote. A six year old will be honest and will want to learn. i do not see that in creationists. Every creationist that I have run into to date is simply looking for excuses to maintain their old beliefs. One cannot explain something to those that do not want to learn.
That is what they have been taught since they were 6 yrs old. Along with, if you don't believe in a literal Bible God will get you.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for sharing your dishonesty.

Should you ever visit wikipedia and look up natural selection. You will see exactly what I said.

Darwin's theory
Main articles: Inception of Darwin's theory and Development of Darwin's theory
Further information: Coloration evidence for natural selection
In 1859, Charles Darwin set out his theory of evolution by natural selection as an explanation for adaptation and speciation. He defined natural selection as the "principle by which each slight variation [of a trait], if useful, is preserved".[17] The concept was simple but powerful: individuals best adapted to their environments are more likely to survive and reproduce

Natural selection - Wikipedia

Darwin died in the 19 century. It is just possible that evolution theory, well, evolved a bit. It is unfortunate to see people whose knowledge has not evolved from what they were taught when they 6 years old.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) I'm not an atheist.

2) There are no deflections here. I'm simply trying to understand your position and what you mean by some of the terms you are using.

But if you don't want to elaborate on that then you're right, probably no use in continuing the discussion.
When people use the atheist gambit they are admitting they don't know what they are talking about.

Upvote 0