jsrdrnr

Mar 19, 2011
Virginia
✟7,757.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys....I need some prayer for wisdom and answers first of all. This all has to do with the fact that traditionally I am southern baptist. I am by nature non denom but I currently go to a baptist school and a baptist church.

I know for sure that I have been called into Ministry. Ok, so where does that line begin and end? Traditionally, women are not to hold positions of teaching over men, therefore, I cannot be a pastor. I could be a leader of Women's Ministry or even Children's Ministry but that would pretty much be it. The problem is that I feel like I have been called to do more. I have been researching this extensively and it seems that there are so many ways that the verses in question can be "interpreted." This particular forum is not the place for the theological discussion, but it is the problem. I am not "allowed" to become a pastor at my current school or church.

My husband is entering the ministry but he is blind and it takes him longer than the average person to do work. He can only take one class at a time. it is going to take him, at his current pace, 8 years to complete his education.

I feel like I am being called to move now.

As you can see things are not totally lining up. As such, I request the prayers of my fellow believers as God works all of this out in me.

Thanks!!!
-J

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I believe that you can become a shephard to a church, and(from personal conviction) would encourage you to explore the opportunities you may have.

But, we all have different convictions, and if your's are different than mine, perhaps God is placing you in a position to speed your husband's education and ministry up a bit. By both of you having the same life goals, you can help him as he helps you.

Regardless, I'm praying for you and your husband!

Upvote 0

jsrdrnr

Mar 19, 2011
Virginia
✟7,757.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, through my research, I have come to the conclusion that women are not bared from being ministers. I just dont know what I have to do to become one, how long it would take and where to go from here. I do know it is definitely frowned upon in my current school and church. One of the few things that I agree to disagree with.

Thanks so much for your prayers.

-J

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, you can go to seminary and get a degree, or you can start a church, or you can progress through the ranks of an established church. The Church is slowly opening up to the idea of female pastors, and I believe many of the main seminary schools accept female pastors.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think southern Baptist do though. Does the Baptist school you're going to now, do they?

btw, absolutely love that painting of Yeshua by Akiane Kramarik.

It's really rough starting your own church. Have you ever worked in a church office or anything like that? You know, it looks basically the same from Sunday to Sunday but the amount of time, energy, money, etc. is enormous. Of course, there are cell churches now.

praying, too.

Also, why not start off in a position with the Women's or Children's Ministries? Since your husband is going into the ministry, the more experience you guys have under your belt the better.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
also, you have to be prepared for deal with difficult personalities. I think most folks entering the ministry aim is to point others to Yeshua and help as many as possible. But there are usually some folks in the church who seem to be think their job is point out everyone else's problems, gossip, and cause problems. There are just a very few but they are there. They usually think they're helping the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2013
Southampton, England
✟9,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jsrdrnr, just keep your focus on the Jesus' finished work and gospel of grace and your heavenly Father will do the rest.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 AMP
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, Who loved us and gave us everlasting consolation and encouragement and well-founded hope through His grace (unmerited favor), [17] Comfort and encourage your hearts and strengthen them make them steadfast and keep them unswerving in every good work and word.

Galatians 3:5 NLT
I ask you again, does God give you the Holy Spirit and work miracles among you because you obey the law? Of course not! It is because you believe the message you heard about Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 AMP
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (emancipation from bondage, freedom). [18] And all of us, as with unveiled face, because we continued to behold in the Word of God as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord Who is the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Terry M

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi JSRDRNR, It's tough going against the traditions of your local Church. I enjoy the teaching of people like Joyce Myer - as well as the wife of the minister of my own church (who incidently often leads the services) - great faith and love and wisdom. If our first priority is to lead people to Christ - and following the 'Great Commanment', then I believe God will specifically help you along he way.

Love and Blessings

Terry M

Upvote 0