• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Question About True Kolaczki

Discussion in 'Cooking and Culinary Arts' started by Phoebe Ann, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Here is the Kolaczki cutter:

Cookie Cutter Kolaczki.jpg

How should I fold the dough? I can't find a photo.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Unofficial Reverand Alex

Unofficial Reverand Alex Look up Jason Evert on YouTube; he changed my life Supporter

+2,078
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    The kolachki my mom makes is a big walnut roll; the little folded one's we call kieflees (not sure how to spell that, but my tablet tried to autocorrect it to lifeless :eek:).

To my understanding, you told it however you want to find it; as long as the dough is at about the same thickness, it should cook fine. Try making a tray of different folding styles, using a toaster oven if you want to just try a few.

And I've never seen a specific cutter for dough like that; we just use one of those rolly plastic cutters, or even a metal butter knife.

Good luck, God bless, and send us some when they are ready!:D

3. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+2,608
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    The problem is I bought that cookie cutter and don't understand how to fold the dough! The kolaczki I'm thinking of are small with jam filling.

As for Kifli, the ones I make are made with ground walnuts and almond flavoring. They taste better to me than any other cookie I've ever had! A Serbian Orthodox lady used to make them for us.

^_^

5. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Thanks, those are great links --- but I don't see my cookie cutter.

6. Unofficial Reverand Alex

Unofficial Reverand Alex Look up Jason Evert on YouTube; he changed my life Supporter

+2,078
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    So we have reverse ideas of kolaczki & kiflis...it's so strange & kinda cool how the traditions from the Old Country can become so diverse!

So I have to ask...are your pierogis small or large? My mom knows pierogis as little things, where you can eat 6 for lunch. She always knew them like that, until my dad (also Polish) said that 2 pierogis fill him up!

And what do you fill them with? My mom only knew potato pierogis, and my dad only knew cheese or kraut pierogis, until they met up.

Peace & all good things!

7. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Kifli are small. This is my recipe, but I roll the dough to about an eight inch circle and cut pie-shaped wedges.
    Kifli means crescents.

Kifli (no yeast)
    Yield: 6 Dozen

Dough:
    4 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
    2 cups butter or margarine
    4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1 cup sour cream

Filling:
    1 1/4 lb shelled walnuts (about 5 Cups), ground
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tablespoon almond extract

Glaze:
    1 large egg, beaten
    Confectioners' sugar

Make dough: in a large bowl, place flour and butter. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg yolks and sour cream; stir with a fork until combined.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board or pastry cloth. Knead dough with your hands until it is smooth and can be shaped into a ball. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour. If desired, wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Make filling: in a medium-sized bowl, place ground walnuts, granulated sugar, milk and almond extract. Using a wooden spoon, stir in walnut mixture until ingredients are thoroughly combined.

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease baking sheets with solid vegetable shortening.

To shape Kifli: divide dough into quarters; wrap three of quarters separately in plastic wrap and put in fridge. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining quarter of dough to a 15" x 12" rectangle that is 1/8" thick.

Using a pastry wheel, cut rectangle of dough into 3-inch squares. Place a heaping teaspoon of walnut filling in center of each square; bring one corner of dough over filling to opposite corner; pinch edges together.

Place Kifli on baking sheets; brush with beaten egg. Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Remove from baking sheet. Fill bottom of a pie plate with confectioners' sugar. Roll Kifli in sugar. Let cool on wire racks. Repeat steps with remaining three quarters of dough.
    Source: McCall's Cooking School: Desserts/Cookies

Now some photos to see how they usually turn out:

Cookies Kifli.jpg Cookies Kifli 2.jpg

I pull mine into more of a crescent shape.

8. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    I have no Eastern European ancestry --- I just love the food. The only pierogis I've had were potato ones from the grocery freezer section.

I like stuffed cabbage rolls and Hungarian Goulash with Galuska. I don't eat potatoes, tomatoes or peppers anymore. It was hard to give them up, but they cause inflamation if you have arthritis. I also like stuffed grape leaves.

9. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    I'm pretty sure I figured out how to fold Kolaczki made with that cutter. I end up with a small opening in the center where the jam peeks through.

10. Occams Barber

+2,608
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Congratulations :)
    OB

11. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Roll Kolacky dough to desired thickness on floured board. Cut out dough with cutter. Place kolacky on prepared cookie sheet. Dot center of each with desired filling. Fold the 4 narrow cut ends over and back to form a diamond-shaped ridge encircling filling. Bake as recipe directs. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.

I like directions that have drawings or photos of the end results.

12. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
  13. Occams Barber

+2,608
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    I think you just passed the official Polish citizenship test.

Gratulacje, jesteĊ› teraz Polakiem !!!
    OB

14. Occams Barber

+2,608
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Duplicate - CF is having the wobbles
    OB

15. Phoebe Ann