Midwest
✟305,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the story of the woman running out of the house - would appreciate knowing the abuse of tongues in that story?
The Pastor got carried away. My friend grew up in the Assemblies of God church and has witnessed numerous accounts of people speaking in tongues before, but never like that. The Pastor was yelling very loudly in tongues and basically did the nestea plunge on the floor. If my friend was freaked out by what happened imagine how freaked out that Baptist woman must have been.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See, at least Christians are honest about that kind of stuff rather than brushing it under the carpet and using it for evil while pretending it doesn't exist.

Idk, intensely dislike even the notion of "spiritual gifts" because it destabilises reality and smacks of witchcraft and sorcery, which aren't great for people. Also torn between desire for truth but also of not speaking evil and feeding into it, yet the only way to adequately address problems is with truth.

Like...it's maybe akin to idolatry? By putting too much stock in something as human as mere words and that from desire to gain power and dominion over ourselves, others and the world (or from fear of that) seems like making ourselves equal to God and showing a lack of faith in Him.
You may want to be careful, this statement is dangerously close to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A fair price for individuality to take precedence over a hive mind, as what benefits the individual benefits all, within reason, and I've seen what happens when people go power mad and reality goes Pete Tong. Will stand alone if I have to, and as I have.
Wow, you are really overly focused on this in an unhealthy way. You don't get to define what is "within reason" when it comes to God. That type of thinking could be considered being "power mad". If you look around and you are standing alone is a good sign that something is wrong. It is the banana that is separated from the bunch that gets peeled and eaten.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't reasonably object to others not wanting to charge into the jaws of Death and down the mouth of Hell with me :p

I had cause to give such things some thought, and hive minds and witchcraft and sorcery don't appeal. Only vaguely willing to concede that spiritual gifts might be good because it's covered by Christianity and can be used for good, or just taken in a largely more mundane and thus divine context. God might work in mysterious ways, but not being God I don't need to.
You keep making these vague accusations about large numbers of Christians. The Bible talks about the "accuser of the brethren" and, spoiler alert, it's not good. So how about instead of broad generalizations you give some specific examples of what you are talking about?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is speaking in tongues deliberate? Is it something you do or something the spirit inspires and does? Is it its own language or the ability to speak different languages?

The cloven tongue spoken on Pentecost per Acts 2 is likely the one tongue which all peoples spoke prior to the Genesis 11 tower of Babel event. Because of that event, God confused the one tongue into many languages, and the people were scattered to the four corners of the earth.

Per Acts 2, the way it manifested was with known languages, and not just each person's language of birth, but the very dialect of their language of birth! In other words, the people present heard the Apostles speak their own languages, not gibberish. And they heard them speak about the wonderful works of God!

That... is the manifesting of the TRUE cloven tongue of Pentecost per Acts 2. Don't allow any man to tell you different, for there is another spirit active that is out to deceive by the devil and his servants. God is not the author of confusion, like Apostle Paul said.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as tongues for interpretation, this would be something that God has gifted the person for that specific moment in time. If no interpretation is given then the person was incorrect and should sit down and continue speaking in tongues quietly.

As far as one's "private prayer language" that is typically done willfully more than anything else.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There were tongues and an interpretation at my church Sunday about "pressing into God". It was wonderful. I never heard it done except one other time, and at that time I didnt believe in them, so was a little spooked. But not this time.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"...If no interpretation is given then the person was incorrect..."

Havent seen that but could have missed it. There are reasons why there wasn't an interpretation. Maybe the believer is new at being used in this gift while spending time asking the Lord, the leader moves the service to a song, sermon, etc. Maybe the believer with the interpretation is a visitor and doesn't know that church's protocol. So they proceed in the way their church does which is to write it so it can be passed to leadership for consideration. But that's not how this church usually handles it. etc The Lord uses us in this way and there's variables.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One can speak in tongues out loud in ignorance, but that doesn't change that they are incorrect in doing so according to 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 specifically, but the whole chapter in general. It's not necessarily bad to be incorrect, especially when done out if ignorance if one has not been educated on how to use the gifts that God has gifted them with. That's why Paul wrote that chapter, because the Corinthians were not using the gifts properly.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
yes Another guideline is the message for interpretation isn't to be given more than 3 times. There's variables for both - the one giving the message and the one giving the interpretation. Also, it can be one believer being used in both.

There are differences between a nessage for interpretation or not for interpretation

Last edited:
Upvote 0