Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the two natures which came together in union were hypostasesin uniting humanity to Himself, does God the Word assume it only as an abstract reality, without being in a hypostatic or personal condition? If the humanity of Christ doesn't have the features which make it a person, can it function in anyway in the incarnation? this looks very nestorian what does this mean.
Sawiris Ibn al-Muqaffa' (Severus of Ashmunin) is the most famous Coptic historian and scholar from the 10th century. He wrote about the idea that Christ is one hypostasis out of two hypostases, and that the human person who was united to the divine Word became totally one with Him. While at the same time he switches to radical Eutichianism whereby he questions the uncreatedness of Christ's "one nature" after unity since Mary is the Mother of God because she is the Mother of an uncreated person and uncreated nature using the same argument of Dioscorus and his successor Ibn al-Makin about the incorruptibility and change of human nature due to the hypostatic unity with divinity. Cf. Al-Durr Al-Thameen fi Eedah al-Deen. published by Pope Kyrellos VI Sons, Egypt 1992. pp.166-177
The link I posted is arabic I apologize if you cant understand it
https://7b8f42d9-7dc1-4673-9128-65b...aa173bce9b4b05a26ac9e0f107ce29.pdf?index=true

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well you posted in English and I still can't understand what you're asking, so maybe let's leave the Arabic aside for now, if we can.

Where does HG Severus write anything like that? I only have an incomplete set of the History the Patriarchs that he started (the bookseller messed up and sent me two of the same volume, so I don't have all three) and an English translation of The Lamp of the Intellect, and neither of them say anything like what you are claiming, though they are also not strictly theological works. I find it very hard to imagine that he advanced a Eutychian position, however, given that he famously wrote his refutation against Said ibn Batriq (Eutychius) in the Book of Councils to strike down the idea of the Chalcedonians that we had embraced Eutychianism. Does the book you reference deal with this fact at all?

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0