Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is there any part of the bible were it looks like paul could leave his body at will?Through God?Just wondering.Because of this.Is there any part of the bible were it looks like paul could leave his body at will?Through God?Just wondering.Because of this.2 Corinthians 12:1-4And.Colossians 2:5.And.1 Corinthians 5:1-5.

No, there is no part of the bible that teaches that out of body experiences are voluntary.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Is there any part of the bible were it looks like paul could leave his body at will?Through God?Just wondering.Because of this.Is there any part of the bible were it looks like paul could leave his body at will?Through God?Just wondering.Because of this.2 Corinthians 12:1-4And.Colossians 2:5.And.1 Corinthians 5:1-5.

I've heard it speculated before that the man Paul is speaking of is actually Paul himself. But he says "whether in the body or out of the body I know not", meaning that he is not endorsing any form of out of body experience but maybe it happened. He says at 1 Corinthians 13:12 that "we see through a glass darkly". It's not actually "glass" he is speaking of at all, but a metal mirror. AS if to say "we see through the mirror dimly" for now, but one day we'll see things before us. That might allude to some type of astral projection using a mirror but it is unknown. It's believed that ancients used mirrors to induce visions but it isn't something just anyone should try to do.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is there any part of the bible were it looks like paul could leave his body at will?Through God?Just wondering.Because of this.2 Corinthians 12:1-4And.Colossians 2:5.And.1 Corinthians 5:1-5.

Corinthians 12:2-3

no ... verse Corinthians 12:1 sets the context (visions & revelations)

Paul is simply stating that he does not have a clear understanding of the nature of his supernatural experience.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Visions can appear so real that you think that you're living through the vision, and actually experiencing the actions in a physical sense, whereas in reality you could just be lying in bed. That's assuming the vision seems to involve physical activity on the part of the person having it.

Those sorts of visions also take place very quickly - a vision in someone's mind which seems to encompass an entire weekend's activity might only take a few seconds in real time.

Saint Paul could have been "snatched up" to heaven in visionary form and not real form. But it would appear so real he wouldn't know if he'd actually been there or not. The only way he'd be able to tell would be if a witness had been present at the time, who could confirm if he'd disappeared for example.

To actually go to heaven in person he'd have had to temporarily disappear from this earth or at the least bilocate, as Padre Pio had a reputation for doing.

As a particular pastor said to me once, "There's a very strange psychic world out there!"

• Agree
Reactions: Joyous Song
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there any part of the bible were it looks like paul could leave his body at will?Through God?Just wondering.Because of this.2 Corinthians 12:1-4And.Colossians 2:5.And.1 Corinthians 5:1-5.

That is not the thought, brother, as I see it. I don't think he supposed he actually left his body ---saying he did not know if "in the body or out of the body"; saying: "I knew such a man" ---maybe 'day dreaming' (which many of us have done. He had a spiritual experience of communion of one with God, which so absorbs one that they are not thinking where they are, as being absorbed with the deep thought and visualizing it, or even who the 'man' was. That is my thought from some of my deep meditations at times, too. It is much like as many Christians experience when in lengthy prayerful conversation with God. Let us speak to God as in a present talk somewhere (even in "your closet" (Matthew 6:6). Paul was a New Testament prophet called in spirit by God to go forth and teach and serve God.

He is speaking of the Spirit of God speaking to Him in his mind --in a dream perhaps, or as he was deep in prayerful thought and communion with God. Many of us have drifted into deep meditation with life and spiritual thoughts of God and purposes of life. Let us not ever just MOUTH a prayer, but talk to God in the Name of our Lord Jesus, the Christ. Such prayer should be close communion and not a speech to God. It is a personal relationship ---would you say?

Upvote 0