Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Back in the day on the Nintendo and Super Nintendo they marketed the systems to kids. Nintendo appears to still maybe take that approach though I don't have a switch. I am betting that maybe homebrews probably have more adult themes, though I don't know

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I love my Switch, but I've never been a big fan of Nintendo games in general. Never got into Mario. Tried playing one of the Zelda games and got so annoyed by that stupid fairy that I was easily distracted by other game. However I do LOVE Animal Crossing, so always seem to get whatever Nintendo system that game is on, and then the Switch has the advantage of making it possible to play portable Skyrim, and portable Diablo 3, and other non-Nintendo games.

Unfortunately, one of my joycons is conked out at the moment, so I'm primarily playing my XB1.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you mean Nintendo as a publisher produces games mostly for everyone, including children that's how they've always been. Though to pretend there aren't more mature titles like Bayonetta 3 or No more Heroes coming out is kind of odd. Also third party publishers have released plenty of mature games on the switch. Browse through the store to see the literal trash on it.

Personally if Nintendo ever became a clone of Sony/Microsoft and only released serious, dark, adult themed games they would loose what makes them a noticeable company. Nintendo doesn't want to directly compete with the above mentioned companies and to me, that's fine.

Upvote 0

Poco_Lypso

Nov 18, 2020
Wlkp
✟7,801.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think hardware limitations are a thing too, not all ports are possible on switch. Developing a game only for switch comes with a high cost and the risk of financial failure is great.
Just my opinion.

I used to play mature games in the past and by happenstance got into nintendo gaming. Been a fan ever since.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've worked on a few Nintendo titles (Art Academy series, with Pokémon and Disney crossovers) and our philosophy was not so much a focus on children, but a broad audience that includes children. Microsoft have a tendency to appeal to teens and young adults, whereas Sony is somewhere in the middle. They're really different business strategies and philosophies - and to some extent, shaped by cultural differences (eg. what's perceived in the west as childish may not be perceived in Japan as such) - but you can certainly find games for all demographics on all platforms.

Just to touch on the comment above, while hardware limitations have in some instances been a factor in how a game is styled, it's not really the case anymore. We don't really have the same limitations as we used to. All consoles are essentially different kinds of PCs, and it's become very easy to create multiplatform games. So it's more to do with cultural differences and marketing.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

RyCanadian

Jan 25, 2021
Alberta
✟16,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do game developers for Nintendo seem to only put out releases that are child friendly? It seems like the more mature adult themed games are left out. Why is that?

If you want more adult type games maybe you should look into buying a PS4/PS5 or the Xbox console. Just a suggestion :) They have way more varieties of games you can buy and play. I myself have a PS4.

Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I love Nintendo. It's b/c they are a Japanese company & those kinds of games are much bigger in Japan. War shooters just aren't popular in Japan. There's a reason Nintendo is king there & Xbox is a distant last.

I personally as well would much rather play any of Nintendo's games over a grittier war shooter. Games are a form of escape. I want to be happy when I play a game. Shooting & lots of blood isn't a form of escape. I don't view Nintendo's game as kiddy or childish at all. When I think of that, I think of easy, really simple, w/ an emphasis on being educational.

That being said, I'd like to see them have a more mature franchise. They flirt w/ it w/ Zelda & Metroid occasionally, & I'd like to see a bit more of that. Realistic tones & themes, at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0