USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I recently learned time and space are quantized. For space this implies, I think, particles don't move smoothly and contiguously; rather, they jump. The same for time: the universe is like a motion picture having frames, each being a brief flash.

To ponder: Is it possible the entire universe springs into existence a trillion trillion trillion times a second. Then, it disappears completely, only to reappear a trillion trillion trillionth of a second later?

Reactions: Chesterton

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
I recently learned time and space are quantized. For space this implies, I think, particles don't move smoothly and contiguously; rather, they jump. The same for time: the universe is like a motion picture having frames, each being a brief flash.
This seems likely, but isn't yet demonstrably certain.

To ponder: Is it possible the entire universe springs into existence a trillion trillion trillion times a second. Then, it disappears completely, only to reappear a trillion trillion trillionth of a second later?
No; as I understand it, under such a theoretical regime it's present continuously, but interactions have a minimum spatial and temporal separation; between interactions, particle locations in time and space are indefinite.

• Informative
Reactions: Tayla
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I tried to read your post, but it was gone before I finished reading it.
So I guess so.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Where do they go...?

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
between interactions, particle locations in time and space are indefinite.
Thank you for sharing your comments.

Perhaps their locations are indefinite because they cannot be measured because they don't exist.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Perhaps their locations are indefinite because they cannot be measured because they don't exist.
It's not that they don't exist, but that they simply don't have definite position or momentum properties. You could say they don't really exist as particles.

What we call fundamental particles are best modeled as excitations of quantum fields, they only look like particles in particular circumstances, e.g. when they interact with their surroundings in certain ways that we can detect, we can interpret their behaviour in those circumstances as particle-like. The best description of how they behave is given by the Schroedinger wave function, which tells you the probability of seeing a particular outcome of some observation or measurement.

The quantum world is very different and follows some very different and counter-intuitive rules from what we experience in our lofty macro scale world; it's fair to say it's a different kind of reality from which our apparently solid and deterministic world and its rules is emergent at macro scales.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's not that they don't exist, but that they simply don't have definite position or momentum properties. You could say they don't really exist as particles.

What we call fundamental particles are best modeled as excitations of quantum fields, they only look like particles in particular circumstances, e.g. when they interact with their surroundings in certain ways that we can detect, we can interpret their behaviour in those circumstances as particle-like. The best description of how they behave is given by the Schroedinger wave function, which tells you the probability of seeing a particular outcome of some observation or measurement.

The quantum world is very different and follows some very different and counter-intuitive rules from what we experience in our lofty macro scale world; it's fair to say it's a different kind of reality from which our apparently solid and deterministic world and its rules is emergent at macro scales.
Thank you for your succinct overview of quantum mechanics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums