Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So something I used to struggle with, and probably still do from time to time, is spending actual quality time with God. I used to be very legalistic in this approach of "I have to" spend x amount of time daily with God. I have to do this or I have to do that. That is almost never an acceptable way to begin anything in faith.

Something I'd like to challenge folks on, is finding a way to shift gears a bit. Go from "I have to" spend time to "I want to" spend time.

We live in a fast paced, chaotic world that demands more of our attention daily. But I don't think God is necessarily concerned with how much time we are spending with Him as opposed to the quality of time we spend with Him. What I mean is this:

When I was dating, sometimes I'd have hours to spend with my loved one. It was glorious and fun. But at other times we'd only see each other for a few brief moments. While I'd liked to have spent more time with them, what I learned to realize is it's not how much time, it's the kind of time I spend with them. Every moment is treasured and nothing distracts me from them.

We should approach our relationship to the Holy Spirit in this manner. Shifting from a "I have to spend time" with Him to "I want to spend time" with Him. And the really funny thing about it all is this.

When I told myself I had to spend time with Him, it was a drag. There was little movement, and little affection in those times. Often I'd not make it even a fraction of the time before I'd get up and do something else. Honest.

But as I've grown in this shift of perspective, I have come to realize that the more I say "I want to spend time" with the Holy Spirit, not only is the time of better quality, but it's growing in quantity as well.

So if you're struggling with this, please pray over my words here. Think about what I say and may the Holy Spirit bless you with knowledge of the Father and Son in Him.

Last edited:

Jillybean736

Aug 4, 2022
Topeka, KS
✟9,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with this too. I spend time in the Bible every morning (a chapter a day), but struggle as to what do pray or say to God after that. I do feel like he has been speaking to me recently through songs, so I try to listen to those songs often and that is a way of spending time with him.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I find really beneficial and helpful for me is to read Psalms and to often return to the Psalms that strike me emotionally. Spending time everyday reading my favorite verses and eventually memorizing them, over several months, at my leisure is fun. It helps if your geeky or a dork. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

SloopidyBoop

I love Jesus, family, reading, and working hard.
Feb 27, 2023
✟10,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So something I used to struggle with, and probably still do from time to time, is spending actual quality time with God. I used to be very legalistic in this approach of "I have to" spend x amount of time daily with God. I have to do this or I have to do that. That is almost never an acceptable way to begin anything in faith.

Something I'd like to challenge folks on, is finding a way to shift gears a bit. Go from "I have to" spend time to "I want to" spend time.

We live in a fast paced, chaotic world that demands more of our attention daily. But I don't think God is necessarily concerned with how much time we are spending with Him as opposed to the quality of time we spend with Him. What I mean is this:

When I was dating, sometimes I'd have hours to spend with my loved one. It was glorious and fun. But at other times we'd only see each other for a few brief moments. While I'd liked to have spent more time with them, what I learned to realize is it's not how much time, it's the kind of time I spend with them. Every moment is treasured and nothing distracts me from them.

We should approach our relationship to the Holy Spirit in this manner. Shifting from a "I have to spend time" with Him to "I want to spend time" with Him. And the really funny thing about it all is this.

When I told myself I had to spend time with Him, it was a drag. There was little movement, and little affection in those times. Often I'd not make it even a fraction of the time before I'd get up and do something else. Honest.

But as I've grown in this shift of perspective, I have come to realize that the more I say "I want to spend time" with the Holy Spirit, not only is the time of better quality, but it's growing in quantity as well.

So if you're struggling with this, please pray over my words here. Think about what I say and may the Holy Spirit bless you with knowledge of the Father and Son in Him.
Okay I will do that tonight before I bed down. Thanks

Upvote 0