✟9,280.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello friends,

So are there any Quakers here? I often practice zen meditation as part of my own spiritual practice, and I have joined my local quaker group for silent worship many times... silence, for me, is so very central to spiritual growth...

Hugs,
Lucas

• Friendly
Reactions: TheGoodLight

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don't know if there are any Quakers present, reading or members,
but z&n m&d&t&tion is directly opposed to Yahweh's Spirit and Contrary (Forbidden even to study it) to His Word (Scripture). It is very basic and perhaps more than just basic sin. (May be very deep, not just superficial sin)

• Agree
Reactions: Michael Snow
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Anabaptists don't recognize z&n or other pagan or heathen religious practices as okay to do or even to consider doing at all. Following Jesus requires a pure heart, and wholehearted faithfulness to Him.
Likewise the rcc practices from rome are not considered faithful nor true nor right by Anabaptists who have been set free from the world's power and from the enemy of Christ, we are set free truthfully as written, by His Blood, His Atonement for our sins once for all time.

Upvote 0

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟412,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hiya Lucas,

I'm a United Methodist, but I have visited a local Quaker meeting a couple times, and enjoyed both the people there and the style of worship. I will likely revisit down the road.

Well, I've changed a bit since then. While I didn't formally become a Quaker member, I did become what is called an 'attending member'.

Theologically liberal Quaker meetings are (generally) open to many different approaches to focusing/stillness. An incorporation of a Zen-like approach would not be out of the ordinary at many such meetings (as long as it is acknowledged that Quaker silence is not, in and of itself, thought of as meditation). For a more traditional/conservative puritanical perspective, others have already touched on theological objections.

Upvote 0