Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's right. Without generally the people being converted Christians that really are following Christ, the format would not be a good thing. To me what is interesting though is how it could help converted Christians that follow Christ better learn how to silence the noise of the world, of the flesh, and instead seek the Lord. So, perhaps it would be better if my OP had pointed that out! If you think about it, you can see how that silence can be a form of prayer, and truly is for some, that make it so (Romans chapter 8).
You can do that in the safety of your own personal space without involving people who may not be working with the power of the Holy Spirit.
Blessings

PS: I would stay away if I were you. Just my humble advice.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
That's right. If you wanted to only diagnose how some go wrong, that's very good to do. It's when they listen to *some* select words they want to hear, and ignore the rest. For instance, to listen to some things Christ said, isolated verses, and not the rest of what He said. That ignoring is a step on a path to hell.

Now, here, we all believe in Him, as in the Apostle's creed --

"I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen."
-----
Now, as we learn from Christ, it's not enough to only believe. James helps us to point out that the demons believe, and tremble. More is required, that we repent of sins, falling on God's forgiveness through Christ Jesus of our sins, and that if we actually do believe (not merely believe in our own stuff we like, but all He says) then we will keep his words, remain in Him, and bear fruit ( John chapter 15).

Of course any Quakers in the past or present that haven't are not going to the narrow gate (Matthew chapter 7).

But, with the understanding of the only thing that saves, shouldn't we also listen to Christ in Matthew 7 also in the verses 7-11 (or 7-12)? Yes, of course we should. While this is about prayer, it's also about faith, and about silencing our own flesh (as Paul wrote in another wording in Romans chapter 8), and instead aiming to walk in the spirit. Today, in America, there is a lot of noise, and silencing all the noise from the world and the flesh is a part of walking in the spirit. Though there are so many ways, this is one of them -- silence (see more in post #14).

Thus, the interesting side of silence, or candle lighting, or silent moments in prayer (groanings too deep for words, Romans chapter 8), that instead of just our own voices, we listen to Him. Instead of wanting to hear ourselves, we want to be led by the spirit. You can see how silence would be a part of that, listening instead of talking.
Most of my listening is accomplished during my private time with the Spirit

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
That's right. Without generally the people being converted Christians that really are following Christ, the format would not be a good thing. To me what is interesting though is how it could help converted Christians that follow Christ better learn how to silence the noise of the world, of the flesh, and instead seek the Lord. So, perhaps it would be better if my OP had pointed that out! If you think about it, you can see how that silence can be a form of prayer, and truly is for some, that make it so (Romans chapter 8).
Every born again believer has been given at least one Gift of the Spirit

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can do that in the safety of your own personal space without involving people who may not be working with the power of the Holy Spirit.
Blessings

PS: I would stay away if I were you. Just my humble advice.
Oh, if I went now, I'd be "fishing for men". (and my guess is only those that go with love and patience and themselves like the silent prayer/seeking/waiting on the Lord could well fish there)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every born again believer has been given at least one Gift of the Spirit
If they do something like prayer, or prayerful silence, or waiting on the Lord, or following the Spirit -- something somehow that lets them let go of the noise of the world, and focus on God. If we already are, then we may forget that many have more trouble. I'd be delighted if people simply learned to pray as Paul says to us in Romans chapter 8. That would be so good, for more to do.

I don't think it's as widespread as it should be.

If somehow more can realize that they really don't know what to pray for about some things, and if they could instead fall silent in such moments, and surrender to the spirit guiding, through wordless groans too deep for words.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I updated the OP, to help make it better clear what I was posting about, since it was possible to think it was only a post to endorse Quaker Meeting to Worship without qualifications! It definitely needs qualification, and I think the new intro should help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The assumption here is who ever speaks is speaking on behalf of the Holy Spirit. So that would count me out on attending as this is considered prophetic utterance, a gift given by the Holy Spirit and doubtful all members have this gift.
"Spoken messages may occur many times during a meeting, or there may be none at all. Such a message is delivered by an individual, but is understood to be coming through that person from God."
But it is not "prophetic utterance." In fact, some of those utterances are quite simple and do not at all break new ground at all.

By the way, Quakers are quite liberal theologically, but about a third of American Quakers are what are called Evangelical Quakers, a new movement in their history. These are really unlike traditional Quakers in many ways, so if anyone is thinking of visiting, make sure which variety the local unit represents. The traditional type are more likely to list themselves as Religious Society of Friends.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I believe I have seen some that say they are, but they are not one of the listed "Faith Groups", so they would have to sign up as just "Christian", non-denom, or something else. Unless it has been added to the list at some point.
Whosoever confesses with their mouth the Lord Jesus and believeth in their heart that God has raised Him from the dead shall be saved.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
She doesn't proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord
from Quaker.ca

"Some Quakers would consider that Jesus was a supremely inspired teacher whose words moved others to work for peace and justice. Others believe he is the Son of God. George Fox referred to ‘Christ Jesus’, and that ordering reminds Quakers of his great message."

• Useful
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
from Quaker.ca

"Some Quakers would consider that Jesus was a supremely inspired teacher whose words moved others to work for peace and justice. Others believe he is the Son of God. George Fox referred to ‘Christ Jesus’, and that ordering reminds Quakers of his great message."
Was witnessing to 2 Mormon ladies earlier today. They believe that Jesus is the Son of God!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
from Quaker.ca

Very useful to point out. I hope the way I put an introduction onto the OP post #1 will help. Do you think it's clear enough to be helpful?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was witnessing to 2 Mormon ladies earlier today. They believe that Jesus is the Son of God!
Do you think the new introduction paragraph I added onto the OP post #1 is clear enough to be helpful?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I hope the way I put an introduction onto the OP post #1 will help. Do you think it's clear enough to be helpful?

If the point is 'silence' and not Quakers. :) There seems to have been a bit of animosity posted about a group none of us know much of anything about.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Right. I always think of the kind of worship you're describing whenever someone who attends a Pentecostal church or an evangelical church (with rock band on stage) puts down the other varieties of worship as boring, unemotional, and/or mechanical.
Whether I am in my right mind it is for your sakes; when I am besides myself it is to God.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But it is not "prophetic utterance." In fact, some of those utterances are quite simple and do not at all break new ground at all.

By the way, Quakers are quite liberal theologically, but about a third of American Quakers are what are called Evangelical Quakers, a new movement in their history. These are really unlike traditional Quakers in many ways, so if anyone is thinking of visiting, make sure which variety the local unit represents. The traditional type are more likely to list themselves as Religious Society of Friends.
They say all outward communication among friends in their worship comes from God.
Blessings

Upvote 0