✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I went to a Baptist church today.
Had a great time but noticed that they did not have Holy Communion/Lord's Supper.
Why would this not be done when Baptists hold it as one of their two sacraments? Do they only have it on special occasions?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
I don't know, but we should do this in rememberance of Him.

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Doctoring hearts with the love of Jesus
Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rechtgläubig;2653507 said:
Most protestant churches do not celebrate the Lord's Supper every week. Some churches will do it every other week, some once a month, and some yearly. It all depends on the church.

This is indeed correct. I have been to 2 Baptist churches. One did actually have communion every Sunday and the other did like the Methodists and had communion once a month.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟25,957.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised you would refer to Communion in a Baptist church as one of their two sacraments. I think it would be more accurate to say they consider Communion and baptism as ordinances but do not see them as sources of grace and so they are not sacraments, but only as symbolic ordinances.

I think monthly would probably be the most common frequency for Communion in Baptist congregations, at least it has been in my experience near here, but some have it more often and some less.

Marv

Upvote 0
R

RenaeNicole

My father grew up baptist and my grandmother still is. The church that they attended did it weekly. But now my grandmother goes to a church that only does it on special occasions. I asked her why one time and she told me that it was because they felt that to take the Lord's Supper every week would make it a mundane process and it would loose it's meaning.

Upvote 0

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I went to a Baptist church today.
Had a great time but noticed that they did not have Holy Communion/Lord's Supper.
Why would this not be done when Baptists hold it as one of their two sacraments? Do they only have it on special occasions?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

It depends on the church, but they probably have communion once a quarter. My church does it every Sunday, and its a big part of what we do when we get together.

Upvote 0

ROGER459

Aug 30, 2006
✟798.00
Faith
Christian
There are several Main Line Denominations that use the term, 'Sacraments'.

There is NO Reference to that WORD, in the Bible, it is a Term = made up by may, to cause the thought process that ONE may do something to Earn GOD'S FAVOR! [ I once came from such an denomination ]

Perhaps the best thing to do, is read the book of Galatians, from which I will Quote...

(Gal 3:1-to-7) O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
(Gal 3:2) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
(Gal 3:3) Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
(Gal 3:4) Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
(Gal 3:5) He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
(Gal 3:6) Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
(Gal 3:7) Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Thanks, Roger459

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baptist churches won't let you take communion unless you are Baptist. They view other denominations as being disloyal to the Lord.

The confirmed members of that church will usually go to a separate room to take the Lord's Supper.

You sure bout this, anyone at our church can commune, we are of Baptist origin.

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in an "ordinance" church (Presbyterian) that had communion once a month as a symbol and remembrance of the Lord's work. I now attend a "sacrament" church (Lutheran) that has communion every week and sees it as a way established by God to give His grace to the Church. I can see both points.

What amuses me most, however, is how both traditions tend to point fingers at the other one and say "they're making it into a work!" Those who see it as a remembrance seem to think that those who see it as a sacrament do it frequently, as a way that they can work their way into heaven. Likewise, those who see it as a sacrament and a means of grace tend to look at those who do it only symbolically and claim that they're trying to work their way into heaven.

I lean more on the sacrament side nowadays, as it was established by Christ Himself and I trust His words (even if they don't make sense to my human mind -- I KNOW it's not flesh and blood, but hey, there's a reason it's called a "mystery" in some traditions). I don't want to argue one side against the other. I'm just trying to explain the two understandings of the institution, as I understand them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ranyhyn

Put on the whole armour of God...
Jun 3, 2006
Georgia
✟10,250.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have communion once a quarter at the church I am a member of. It's an independent Baptist church but we don't consider ourselves of any one particualar denomination. It is offered to all and is done in remembrance of Christ.

I can see how some would think that doing it weekly might lessen the significance of it to some. But I think that the significance of the event is what you make of it. If you do it every week and it's in your heart that you are doing it in remembrance of Christ then by all means do it. Now if you do feel that it's becoming mundane then it may be time to rethink it....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.