Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Shroud of Turin may not be a fake, or a hoax, but it is definitely not the buriel cloth of Jesus.

John 20:6-7, "Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there, and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus’ head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself."

The Shroud of Turin is of one piece. John reports Jesus' head and face were wrapped separately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ El Fin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
So, after wrapping the body, it is impossible to put the whole body into a single piece of cloth? Yeah, I see your point. Had there been another piece of cloth it surely would have been mentioned, becaue every deatail is clearly revealed inscripture. And there's no way on earth that "the linen cloths" that were present included the shroud. Goodness. Why didn't I see that. Thanks for clearing up centuries of confussion by so many millions of people.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, after wrapping the body, it is impossible to put the whole body into a single piece of cloth? Yeah, I see your point. Had there been another piece of cloth it surely would have been mentioned, becaue every deatail is clearly revealed inscripture. And there's no way on earth that "the linen cloths" that were present included the shroud. Goodness. Why didn't I see that. Thanks for clearing up centuries of confussion by so many millions of people.

Glad I could help you!

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Shroud of Turin may not be a fake, or a hoax, but it is definitely not the buriel cloth of Jesus.

John 20:6-7, "Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there, and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus’ head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself."

The Shroud of Turin is of one piece. John reports Jesus' head and face were wrapped separately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ El Fin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually the custom was to wrap the face in a specific cloth, and then to put a shroud over the whole body.

And there is another cloth floating around purporting to be the face cloth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudarium_of_Oviedo

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

The Shroud of Turin is a hoax. Among other experts, it was examined by probably the world's foremost paint analyst, Walter McCrone (you can google him if you wish) who concluded that the "blood" on the Shroud is actually red paint with an iron oxid pigment. As a professional paint analysis myself, I can attest to the fact that there is a very distinct and visible difference under a microscope between dried blood and red iron oxide pigment.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Shroud of Turin is a hoax. Among other experts, it was examined by probably the world's foremost paint analyst, Walter McCrone (you can google him if you wish) who concluded that the "blood" on the Shroud is actually red paint with an iron oxid pigment. As a professional paint analysis myself, I can attest to the fact that there is a very distinct and visible difference under a microscope between dried blood and red iron oxide pigment.

Why would a hoaxer use red paint rather than real blood?

I mean, it isn't as if blood is terribly hard to come by...

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Big difference between concluded and proved.
The shroud, like many other religous objects, are usually brought under examination for proof by those who either don't believe or want to prove them fakes. These peope are either atheists or Protestants.

Atheists want to discredit for obvious reasons. But why the Protestants? Because they don't own it. And as they don't own anything, then it can't possibly be true. But, like in a divorse, when you leave you can't expect to take the "Stuff" with you.

I find it very amusing that individuals can put off claims such as Helen finding the true cross in the 4th century, then turn right around and talk in glowing terms about how Major-General Gordon found the true tomb of Christ in the 19th century.

The most sceptical of all Protestant Christians are Americans...the same American Protestant Christians that own a helmet signed by Peyton Manning, a stick used by Wayne Gretzky, a baseball thrown by Babe Ruth, etc. Why do they keep this junk? They're their holy relics. They put them in reliquaries and display them in their homes. Then they proudly show them to all their friends when they come to visit, as if owning the object some how links them to the person or the event.

Why do so many make trips to the "Holy Land?" They want to believe, but on their own terms. My father-in-law scoffed at the idea that a Christian Church could have a link from the chains that held St. Peter. But glowed when he talked about his trip to Turkey, and how his Muslim tour guide $howed him a bridge that $t. Paul had cro$$ed.

Is the shroud real or fake? I don't know. And as I will never have the resources to examine it for myself, I won't ever know. Is it plausible? Well, there I have to admit it's plausible. When the scriptures talk abour bones that raise dead men and aprons worn by the saints having healing qualities, then I have to admit it's plausible. And that's what I conclude.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I should have known better. The Shroud of Turin is an article of faith. We'll never be able to put it to rest apparently.

By the way, I have a problem with being enamoured by Wayne Gretsky's sweaty jock strap as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

bbbbbbb

For the record, Walter McCrone was a practicing Roman Catholic and was part of a team assembled by the Vatican and paid by the Holy See to examine the shroud. Not all of the members of the team reached the same conclusions. The concensus report issued by the Vatican downplayed the reports of those who found e data which conflicted with the view of the authenticity of the shroud.

The reason for using iron oxide pigment rather than blood is that iron oxide is a much more stable pigment and retains its red color much longer than blood, which rapidly oxidizes to a brown shade which definitely does not appear to be blood to the average person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timmeh

May 17, 2008
Berlin, Germany
✟7,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The shroud, like many other religous objects, are usually brought under examination for proof by those who either don't believe or want to prove them fakes. These peope are either atheists...

Atheists want to discredit for obvious reasons.
Why is it an issue if whoever exams it "believes" or not? The truth will be the truth irrespective, no?
You also have an incorrect idea of what atheism is. Tell me what the "obvious reasons" that an atheist would like to discredit the results are. An atheist just likes to have emperical evidence...ie solid truth. Faith based truths, or god of the gaps type answers do not satisfy atheists.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.