What is the probability that the Shroud of Turin shows the image of Jesus?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,043.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Concerning the man of the image of the Shroud, Wiki:
He is muscular and tall (various experts have measured him as from 1.70 to 1.88 m or 5 ft 7 in to 6 ft 2 in).[22]
Could this be Jesus?

ESV John 20:
6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus’a head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself.
John saw at least three pieces of cloth.

face cloth
σουδάριον (soudarion)
Strong's 4676: A handkerchief, napkin. Of Latin origin; a sudarium, i.e. Towel.

linen cloths
ὀθονίων (othoniōn)
Strong's 3608: A linen bandage, a wrapping. Neuter of a presumed derivative of othone; a linen bandage.

The exact relationship between this headpiece and the other clothes is not certain. On the other hand, the shroud of Turing was a single piece with the image of the head and the body.

The scientific evidence is strong that the shroud of Turin showed a person who was crucified. Was he Jesus?

Daily Mail:
Scientists from Italy’s National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development spent years trying to replicate the shroud’s markings.
They have concluded only something akin to ultraviolet lasers – far beyond the capability of medieval forgers – could have created them.

Other pieces of evidence include the position of wounds, the DNA sequence of the pollen found on the shroud, etc.

My guess is that I am 70% confident that the image on the shroud of Turin is that of the crucified Christ :)

Last edited:

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The scientific evidence is strong that the shroud of Turin showed a person who was crucified. Was he Jesus?
I think the shroud would be even more amazing if it were a counterfeit. It is a photo negative and we just do not have the technology to duplicate it today.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Concerning the man of the image of the Shroud, Wiki:

Could this be Jesus?

ESV John 20:

John saw at least three pieces of cloth.

face cloth
σουδάριον (soudarion)
Strong's 4676: A handkerchief, napkin. Of Latin origin; a sudarium, i.e. Towel.

linen cloths
ὀθονίων (othoniōn)
Strong's 3608: A linen bandage, a wrapping. Neuter of a presumed derivative of othone; a linen bandage.

The exact relationship between this headpiece and the other clothes is not certain. On the other hand, the shroud of Turing was a single piece with the image of the head and the body.

Daily Mail:

Other pieces of evidence include the position of wounds, the DNA sequence of the pollen found on the shroud, etc.

My guess is that I am 70% confident that the image on the shroud of Turin is that of the crucified Christ :)
The cloth was held by the Eastern Church back to the 1st century. It was stolen by Rome during the Crusades in Constantinople. In fact, just as the Ethiopian Orthodox have a copy of the Ark (tabot) in each church but the original is said to be housed in Axum, each Eastern Orthodox church has a copy of the shroud (in Russian: Plashchanitsa, in Greek: Epitaphios) that is put on the Altar during Holy week before Pascha.
Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 06-37-52 Plaschanitsa - Epitaphios Threnos Textile Art Tapestry Cloth.png

• Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The cloth was held by the Eastern Church back to the 1st century. It was stolen by Rome during the Crusades in Constantinople. In fact, just as the Ethiopian Orthodox have a copy of the Ark (tabot) in each church but the original is said to be housed in Axum, each Eastern Orthodox church has a copy of the shroud (in Russian: Plashchanitsa, in Greek: Epitaphios) that is put on the Altar during Holy week before Pascha. View attachment 333704
Others
Shroud russian.jpg
shroud.jpg

Upvote 0

Berserk

Oct 15, 2011
✟44,678.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Both the Shroud of Turin and the face cloth of Jesus at Oviedo contain the same blood type AB that is typically Middle Eastern.
The head wounds fit the pattern of a beating from a Roman flagellum used to beat Jesus.
It was falsely believed that testing proved the Shroud was a Medieval forgery. But then it was shown that the tested Shroud fragment had been repaired in the Middle Ages after damage from a fire. We need a new dating test of an unrepaired shroud fragment.

Upvote 0