Puritan Pub (2)

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm studying grammar for a civil service exam. It's for a big promotion, so a quick prayer would be appreciated :)

Anyway, learning about the correct use of commas makes me think about how fantastically ignorant liberals are concerning the second amendment to the US constitution.

As ratified by thirteen states it read:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Now, liberals think only militias have the right to bear arms. Conservatives say that "the people" means everyone!

What do the rules of grammar dictate?

Commas After Introductory Phrases
An introductory phrase is like a clause, but it doesn’t have its own subject and verb; it relies on the subject and verb in the main clause. Introductory clauses are dependent clauses that provide background information or "set the stage" for the main part of the sentence, the independent clause.

Ex: Without understanding why, Annie woke from a deep sleep with an urge to check on her children.

So, the introductory phrase merely introduces a stand-alone, independent clause. On its own, it does not make sense, unlike the independent clause. In the above example, Annie awoke from a deep sleep. This fact does not change whether or not she understands why she did. We can say, "Being anxious about the health of her children, Annie woke from a deep sleep to check on them." Why does this work? Because after the introductory phrase, the independent clause can stand alone.

So, back to the second amendment. The right to bear arms is the independent clause. The part about the well regulated militia merely tells us why people have the right to bear arms...for the security of a free state.

For example, the Framers of the Constitution could have just as easily wrote: "The threat of space aliens being ever present, the right of the people to keep and bear arms..." or "Meat being as tasty as it is, the right of the people..."

Now, we can go say, "Hey, I don't think space aliens are threatening" or "I don't think meat is tasty," but one's disagreement with the reasoning for the right guaranteed in the independent clause of the amendment does not undo the amendment.

So, even if you do not think a well-regulated militia is necessary for the security of the free state (most "conservatives" don't even think that these days), it does not make a difference. Without passing another Constitutional amendment, you're stuck with that freedom to bear arms, whether you like it or not. Grammar demands it!

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Ok fellas, drinks on me!

4960a26b20fffc793595832521ff88d7.jpg

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A nice tall glass of ice water for me please. It's nearly the only thing I can drink these days and I've gotten to where I actually like drinking it.

Distilled, spring...carbonated...mineral?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BadHabit

Does not play well with others
Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Distilled, spring...carbonated...mineral?
Why does there have to be so many choices? Uhh...I just want a glass of dihydrogen monoxide. Preferably clean and not laced with fluoride, but just water will be fine. I'm not fancy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.