Baltimore
✟28,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would recommend you check out some of Paul Gottfried's work on this topic. I am currently reading his book Multiculturalism and the Politics of Guilt: Toward a Secular Theocracy. Here is a relevant excerpt:

Liberal Protestant theology is entirely compatible with the managerial state’s evolution into a regime promoting victim self-esteem. Without administrative assaults against biological and social distinctions, argue liberal Protestants, the sin of discrimination would rage even more fiercely. This is the message of J. Philip Wogaman, the Methodist pastor of Bill Clinton. As a Christian, Wogaman insists, it may be appropriate to treat the President’s sexual escapades as a “private vice,” offset by his continuing war against sexism, racism, and social injustice. Like other Protestant liberals, Wogaman has moved from a Social Gospel witness, advocating radical economic redistribution as a federal project, to what are presented as Christian concerns about the victims of Western society. Wogaman has championed his positions as the spiritual head of a prestigious Methodist congregation, who turned to the ministry after a long, distinguished career as a professor of Christian social ethics.

It is now incumbent on Western, particularly American, political leaders to lament past offenses against designated victims. Such acts are the modern equivalents of the days of fasting and public penance practiced by the visible saints in Puritan New England. They are the signs (similar to the Calvinist notae) by which the godly community and godly magistrates recognize the workings of grace. It is less significant whether whites in the United States are collectively responsible for the sin of slavery than the fact that President Clinton has made this assertion. Clergy and journalists rose to his defense when he did because of the need for public confession on behalf of a sinful nation.​

You may also enjoy this article that discusses some of the ideas of Gottfried. Again, I will provide a relevant excerpt:

...Gottfried observes a disturbing adoption of religious phraseology to support their narrative. The secularized version of the Calvinist doctrine of Total Depravity puts certain classes of victimizers in a state of social sinfulness by virtue of the race and class they were born into, independent of their own decisions and voluntary beliefs. Theologically, Calvinism of course teaches that men are bound in their sin such that they cannot by their own volition achieve the righteousness standards of a God who demands perfection unto his eternally just standard. The morphing of this theme into a weapon of the secular state is especially insightful.

Gottfried draws a parallel between the liberal religious themes of public atonement, “dying to oneself,” and responsibility for the sins of one’s father and the phenomenon of politically correct movements.

This kind of [secular theocratic] regime, which imposes political correctness and interprets sin as insensitive behavior, builds steadily upon pervasive social guilt, an attitude and sentiment instilled by American religious culture. It can also be argued that mental and conceptual bridges continue to link the current liberal religion to older American Christian symbols, themes, and experiences. […]

What has allowed today’s fashionable Christian ideas to progress is not only “obscene niceness” but also residual memory. Contemporary liberal Christianity combines rituals of Western self-rejection with established Protestant attitudes about individuality and equality, the radically fallen state of the sinner, and the simultaneous self-debasement and self-elevation of the saint.
A very good example of all this can be seen in the short exchange between Tucker Carlson and his recent guest, a woman who argues in favor of a law in Belgium that criminalizes phrases that “express contempt” for women. The core of the crime, according to guest Cathy Areu, is actually the thought itself, which was the source of the phrase. Society, she argued, needs to be rid of these sinful thoughts and until that happens, people should be prosecuted for expressing them. The Social Organizers, apparently, focus not just on violent actions, but on “the heart” which produces the actions. This is a very clear example of the borrowing of religious themes by the authoritarian Left.​

Perhaps a bit more of an abstract example, but I figure I'd chime in on this since I just happen to be reading about it currently.

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Puritans were plain folk, no symbols. In Europe, every day was a feast day. It does not suit either the environment or the culture of America where every day, except Sunday, is a workday.
I am not certain that "manifest destiny" is Puritan. The Puritans were, historically, a very narrow time period before the American Revolution.
The Calvinist are a major influence on American culture, including Madison through the 1950's when someone said, "Americans are Calvinist." The Puritans were Calvinist but not all Calvinist are Puritans. I am a Puritan so this question interests me.
If we define witchcraft as abortion, recreational drugs (henbane, spanish fly) and biological weapons (dust to blight a neighbor's field) then witch trials are a different matter. It was the potions that were the issue. Also, the majority of witches burned were male, the majority of accusers were young girls. The first person executed at Salem was male after young girls spoke "blasphemies." De Sade was convicted of "blasphemy" with prostitutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would recommend you check out some of Paul Gottfried's work on this topic. I am currently reading his book Multiculturalism and the Politics of Guilt: Toward a Secular Theocracy. Here is a relevant excerpt:

Liberal Protestant theology is entirely compatible with the managerial state’s evolution into a regime promoting victim self-esteem. Without administrative assaults against biological and social distinctions, argue liberal Protestants, the sin of discrimination would rage even more fiercely. This is the message of J. Philip Wogaman, the Methodist pastor of Bill Clinton. As a Christian, Wogaman insists, it may be appropriate to treat the President’s sexual escapades as a “private vice,” offset by his continuing war against sexism, racism, and social injustice. Like other Protestant liberals, Wogaman has moved from a Social Gospel witness, advocating radical economic redistribution as a federal project, to what are presented as Christian concerns about the victims of Western society. Wogaman has championed his positions as the spiritual head of a prestigious Methodist congregation, who turned to the ministry after a long, distinguished career as a professor of Christian social ethics.

It is now incumbent on Western, particularly American, political leaders to lament past offenses against designated victims. Such acts are the modern equivalents of the days of fasting and public penance practiced by the visible saints in Puritan New England. They are the signs (similar to the Calvinist notae) by which the godly community and godly magistrates recognize the workings of grace. It is less significant whether whites in the United States are collectively responsible for the sin of slavery than the fact that President Clinton has made this assertion. Clergy and journalists rose to his defense when he did because of the need for public confession on behalf of a sinful nation.​

You may also enjoy this article that discusses some of the ideas of Gottfried. Again, I will provide a relevant excerpt:

...Gottfried observes a disturbing adoption of religious phraseology to support their narrative. The secularized version of the Calvinist doctrine of Total Depravity puts certain classes of victimizers in a state of social sinfulness by virtue of the race and class they were born into, independent of their own decisions and voluntary beliefs. Theologically, Calvinism of course teaches that men are bound in their sin such that they cannot by their own volition achieve the righteousness standards of a God who demands perfection unto his eternally just standard. The morphing of this theme into a weapon of the secular state is especially insightful.

Gottfried draws a parallel between the liberal religious themes of public atonement, “dying to oneself,” and responsibility for the sins of one’s father and the phenomenon of politically correct movements.

This kind of [secular theocratic] regime, which imposes political correctness and interprets sin as insensitive behavior, builds steadily upon pervasive social guilt, an attitude and sentiment instilled by American religious culture. It can also be argued that mental and conceptual bridges continue to link the current liberal religion to older American Christian symbols, themes, and experiences. […]

What has allowed today’s fashionable Christian ideas to progress is not only “obscene niceness” but also residual memory. Contemporary liberal Christianity combines rituals of Western self-rejection with established Protestant attitudes about individuality and equality, the radically fallen state of the sinner, and the simultaneous self-debasement and self-elevation of the saint.
A very good example of all this can be seen in the short exchange between Tucker Carlson and his recent guest, a woman who argues in favor of a law in Belgium that criminalizes phrases that “express contempt” for women. The core of the crime, according to guest Cathy Areu, is actually the thought itself, which was the source of the phrase. Society, she argued, needs to be rid of these sinful thoughts and until that happens, people should be prosecuted for expressing them. The Social Organizers, apparently, focus not just on violent actions, but on “the heart” which produces the actions. This is a very clear example of the borrowing of religious themes by the authoritarian Left.​

Perhaps a bit more of an abstract example, but I figure I'd chime in on this since I just happen to be reading about it currently.
I am not guilty of racism. If I confess to that "sin" then I would be guilty of lies. I am innocent and I do not recognize "collective" or "inherited guilt"

Last edited:
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for the thorough reply, but I was thinking of something slightly different. The book does sound interesting. I've read Robert Crunden's Ministers of Reform - also a great book. He walks through the Progressive Era, showing them as inheritors on the Puritan ethic who molded it into a secular, American ideology. So, one can find many ideological traces, but I was thinking of something more concrete like, as I mentioned, Thanksgiving.

Reactions: tbstor
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Puritans were plain folk, no symbols.

I meant something different. For the sake of this conversation, I would call what you seem to have in mind "icons". In the way I'm using the word, every culture has symbols, or it would be impossible to identify it as a unique culture. For example, the Puritan insistence on simplicity is a Puritan cultural symbol.

Second, I realize that when the typical American thinks of Thanksgiving (or Salem), they're invoking a distorted image of the Puritans. Still, that's what I'm after - not the symbols the Puritans themselves would have acknowledged, but the ones history has assigned to them.

Third, in that sense, "Puritan" takes on a much broader context of the larger American integration of Reformed (Calvinist) theology rather than the short time frame of Plymouth Colony's existence. A Puritan ethos has hung over American history for a long time, and that is part of the reason Lincoln reached for Thanksgiving as a means to heal a war-torn nation. He was invoking that Puritan ethos to serve his purposes.

Therefore, Manifest Destiny is connected as an outgrowth of the Puritan ideas about predestination and emigrating to the New World as God's certain plan to use America to establish a purified people that would fulfill his will.

You'll find historians of American History discussing such connections frequently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the thorough reply, but I was thinking of something slightly different. The book does sound interesting. I've read Robert Crunden's Ministers of Reform - also a great book. He walks through the Progressive Era, showing them as inheritors on the Puritan ethic who molded it into a secular, American ideology. So, one can find many ideological traces, but I was thinking of something more concrete like, as I mentioned, Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving was mentioned in a letter written by Winslow, a Puritan, in 1622. In 1841, Young published an account in his book about the Puritans. That is the basis of our "Thanksgiving." It is actually Victorian sentimentality, not Puritan.
Puritans are called Puritans because they were plain folk. pure, no frills and no "feast days" although they had days of prayer.
Interesting Thread, enjoying the discussion

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I meant something different. For the sake of this conversation, I would call what you seem to have in mind "icons". In the way I'm using the word, every culture has symbols, or it would be impossible to identify it as a unique culture. For example, the Puritan insistence on simplicity is a Puritan cultural symbol.

Second, I realize that when the typical American thinks of Thanksgiving (or Salem), they're invoking a distorted image of the Puritans. Still, that's what I'm after - not the symbols the Puritans themselves would have acknowledged, but the ones history has assigned to them.

Third, in that sense, "Puritan" takes on a much broader context of the larger American integration of Reformed (Calvinist) theology rather than the short time frame of Plymouth Colony's existence. A Puritan ethos has hung over American history for a long time, and that is part of the reason Lincoln reached for Thanksgiving as a means to heal a war-torn nation. He was invoking that Puritan ethos to serve his purposes.

Therefore, Manifest Destiny is connected as an outgrowth of the Puritan ideas about predestination and emigrating to the New World as God's certain plan to use America to establish a purified people that would fulfill his will.

You'll find historians of American History discussing such connections frequently.
There are Pilgrims (Thanksgiving) Calvinist (Constitution) and Puritans.
I wanted to find out what denomination I was so I took the internet quiz and discovered I was a Puritan. I studied the denomination and found that not only am I one, many of the my friends are also.
So I are one. Historically, the Puritans are history and in fact, a mere footnote except for the distorted sensationalism of the Salem witch trials and the Scarlet Letter. Many Americans are Puritans but not organized as such or even aware that the code subscribed to is Calvinist and Puritan.
Manifest Destiny was 1845. I doubt the Puritans had any idea about the geography of the Continent.
Calvinism has had a major and lasting influence on the Culture and Government of the US but not all Calvinist are Puritans.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My former stomping ground, the UCC, from which I resigned due to rampant liberalism, was the result of a merger between the United Reformed Church (Prussian immigrants who were Calvinists, and broke away from their Lutheran brethren; the Prussian Lutherans became the LCMS), and the Congregational churches, which in New England, consisted of those former Puritan parishes which rejected Unitarianism. Unfortunately, the Unitarians got some of our oldest and most beautiful parishes, notably Old Ship Church in Plymouth, RI, which is the oldest surviving church building in those regions of the US not originally settled by Spain.

Fortunately, some conservative Congregational churches broke away, and formed the CCCC, most notably Park Street Church in Boston, which dates back to the Puritans and which is now a splendid traditional Congregational church. I use a picture of it as my avatar.

I believe its the last traditional, conservative Congregational church in Boston.

Note that traditional Congregationalism is far removed from Puritanism; Congregational churches generally eschew iconoclasm, baptize infants, and in many cases use beautiful liturgical worship. In the UCC we had a service book which was a bit liberal in its default wording, but it could be toned down to make it more palatable to mainstream Christians (since each church is free to make its own decisions regarding liturgy, music and so on). The best Congregational service book is Devotional Liturgies, by the famed Edwardian Congregational minister, Rev. John Hunter, who was the rector of a large parish in the City of London, the King’s Weigh House, which was formerly a royal customs house before being converted to a church in the late 18th or early 19th century. Sadly, this church was destroyed by a German bomb, and demographic shifts resulted in most of the population moving away from the Square Mile of the City of London, so that congregation no longer exists, nor for that matter does the British Congregational Church, as it merged with the English Presbyterians to form the bland, liberal United Reformed Church, which like the liberal mainline Protestant churches in the US, has been shrinking faster than the Church of England.

Fortunately, there is still a church on the former site of the King’s Weigh House, a beautiful Ukrainian Greek Catholic cathedral.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's the type of thing I was looking for:
The Specter of Salem in American Culture, a doctoral thesis by Gretchen Adams, University of New Hampshire, 2001.

I haven't read it all, but it looks like an excellent piece of work. In short, the claim is that Salem figures so large in the American consciousness that it is often invoked as a warning against the creeping influence of religion - all those nuts who need to be kept in check with good ol' American Reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Any historian is aware that much of what survives in written accounts from any period is often colored by MSM of the day. Many of the historical accounts about Catholic superstitions and Puritan hobgoblins were written as sensational or even hostile accounts.
It is akin to using Ned Buntlline's dime novels as "historical sources" being the true and accurate depiction of the American West."
"Puritan" is not well defined.
I am a Puritan based on my fundamental beliefs but my Christianity is a very sleek and rational version of the religion.

Upvote 0