The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You mentioned selling a house to get out of debt. The scenario I'm submitting is debt that they can't both pay and have a single income household (consumer, medical, etc.). What is the answer for these? Bankruptcy? Leave their kids in school and have the wife work?

Not selling a McMansion to get out of debt, but to minimize debt. I have to admit, you’d have to have that instinct earlier on in life to realize being in debt to build “credit” is a stupid idea, and postpone credit cards and loans for as long as possible. “Credit” works geopolitically, but individually it leads to excess and debauchery. If you’re already in debt up to your eyeballs, I can’t help you. I’m speaking from a place of never having gone into excessive debt in the first place. Dave Ramsey can help for those in excessive debt.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not selling a McMansion to get out of debt, but to minimize debt. I have to admit, you’d have to have that instinct earlier on in life to realize being in debt to build “credit” is a stupid idea, and postpone credit cards and loans for as long as possible. “Credit” works geopolitically, but individually it leads to excess and debauchery. If you’re already in debt up to your eyeballs, I can’t help you. I’m speaking from a place of never having gone into excessive debt in the first place. Dave Ramsey can help for those in excessive debt.
I'm asking in general what people should do. I don't trust Dave Ramsey. He has his own mansion

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm asking in general what people should do. I don't trust Dave Ramsey. He has his own mansion

I’d try to get out of debt or minimize the balance to a manageable amount. Debt doesn’t have to be absolute zero to start homeschooling. It just needs to be low enough to be able to afford a single breadwinner.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
As an outsider (I'm european...) I wonder about the possible consequences of homeschooling children in the US. How does it work? Does it prevent them from being admitted to college and universities as they grow older? Are there public tests and exams during the semester to measure the quality of the education they receive? Does it have a otherwise negative impact on their future?

I'm sorry if my questions are dumb, but I'm just curious to know :)

• Friendly
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As an outsider (I'm european...) I wonder about the possible consequences of homeschooling children in the US. How does it work? Does it prevent them from being admitted to college and universities as they grow older? Are there public tests and exams during the semester to measure the quality of the education they receive? Does it have a otherwise negative impact on their future?

Our colleges often prefer homeschooled children for their academic proficiency and their maturity.
The ease of homeschooling laws vary from state to state. My state is very friendly and respects our rights. However some states make it very difficult.

My children are schooled thorough an umbrella organization so we don't have to have ours tested. My wife has two Masters degrees in education so they are getting the necessary rigor. Not all parents are able to provide this but generally the students will have options for career and further education.

Reactions: Xenophon
Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If I were to talk about what goes on in public schools by my experience and the experience of some of my friends (1980's-now), then ya'll probably wouldn't believe it.

A friend of mine went to a large middle school where success at school was about sexual favours given to the teachers (late eighties.)

A friend of mine currently in school has to deal the reality that all the kids are insane. The teachers are taught techniques used in psychwards for dealing with the kids. Many are involved in self-mutilation - like every other kid. A girl breaking up with her boyfriend because he wants to impregnate her with the seed of the Antichrist happened in his class. Should a 15 year old be dealing with that kind of thing as 'normal.'

Are these environment to have children, teenagers, young adults raised in?

Nevermind that districts, like in fairfax, have super-explicit, radical LGBTQ sex edudation, and the governor is doing all he can to pass laws to make the schools focus on institutionally grooming children for sex abuse.

Nevermind that the schools push very hard to put all the boys on amphetamines that fry their brains and all the girls on contraceptives.

Yet, a parent isn't allowed to walk her 6 year old to kindergarten, because that's a security risk - because how many parents have shot up their child's school?

My experience, at it's worst, was being sexually exploited by the vice principle in elementary school 1st-2nd grade. Last I checked that guy is now in charge of disciplinary regulations for the entire state. The state did a report a few years back, after centralizing records which showed 317 district hopping pedophiles who never had their license revoked over decades of their career - the state estimated more than 200,000 victims between 1980 and 2005. No charges were filed, no one required registered on the offender list, but they did revoke their teaching licenses. Barely made it to the news. Not easy to find the few articles about it anymore. The DoE still does absolutely nothing to track or generate data about sex abuse in the schools.

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As an outsider (I'm european...) I wonder about the possible consequences of homeschooling children in the US. How does it work?

It's different in every state. Some have quite a lot of regulation, some have almost no regulation.

Does it prevent them from being admitted to college and universities as they grow older?

No, it doesn't. Usually homeschoolers significantly outperform both publicly and privately educated students in college entry examinations - they tend to have an easier time getting into better colleges.

Are there public tests and exams during the semester to measure the quality of the education they receive?
These tests do exist. Not all states require they be done. Some states allow that parent to pick which exams to do. I know a family that uses the test for another state here, because the other state's test is a joke and they are just getting through the bureaucracic requirement - and one of them recently entering into the public schools (for an engineering program) here found the advanced classes significantly beneath him.

Does it have a otherwise negative impact on their future?

Usually no. Almost every homeschooler I have met has been far more knowledgeable, articulate, better socialized (well mannered), good performers, and cheerful workers - usually with a wide variety of talents, and better equipped with dealing with the practicalities of normal adult life. When I've been in positions to deal with hiring, I've found that homeschoolers are safe bets, but those coming from public schools are very hit or miss and often dealing with severe work performance issues.

I do know a few kids that may have a negative impact because the parents are 'unschooling,' which is - teaching them nothing except if the kid asks about something. 14 year old and not a functioning reader - well it's what you get when you don't invest in your kid.

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As an outsider (I'm european...) How does it work?

And, at least here, homeschoolers are still able to apply for sports teams or clubs at the public schools or may be 'part-timers' taking some chosen classes at the public schools that may be hard for the family do on their own (I've seen this done for welding, engineering, and even aviation (one public school around her offers a program where graduates leave with not only their diploma, but also their pilot's license.))

Private schools are also sometimes willing to offer similar services to homeschoolers (for a fee, of course)

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Our colleges often prefer homeschooled children for their academic proficiency and their maturity.
The ease of homeschooling laws vary from state to state. My state is very friendly and respects our rights. However some states make it very difficult.

My children are schooled thorough an umbrella organization so we don't have to have ours tested. My wife has two Masters degrees in education so they are getting the necessary rigor. Not all parents are able to provide this but generally the students will have options for career and further education.

It's different in every state. Some have quite a lot of regulation, some have almost no regulation.

No, it doesn't. Usually homeschoolers significantly outperform both publicly and privately educated students in college entry examinations - they tend to have an easier time getting into better colleges.

These tests do exist. Not all states require they be done. Some states allow that parent to pick which exams to do. I know a family that uses the test for another state here, because the other state's test is a joke and they are just getting through the bureaucracic requirement - and one of them recently entering into the public schools (for an engineering program) here found the advanced classes significantly beneath him.

Usually no. Almost every homeschooler I have met has been far more knowledgeable, articulate, better socialized (well mannered), good performers, and cheerful workers - usually with a wide variety of talents, and better equipped with dealing with the practicalities of normal adult life. When I've been in positions to deal with hiring, I've found that homeschoolers are safe bets, but those coming from public schools are very hit or miss and often dealing with severe work performance issues.

I do know a few kids that may have a negative impact because the parents are 'unschooling,' which is - teaching them nothing except if the kid asks about something. 14 year old and not a functioning reader - well it's what you get when you don't invest in your kid.

Thanks for replying :) This is highly, highly uncommon in Europe and even more so up north. This is why I just had to familiarize myself with the way it's being carried out in the US. Now i know :) On a general basis what I find most unsettling with homeschooling then would be the lack of socialization as someone alreday have mentioned in this thread aswell as domestic violence and abuse.
How is such things revealed in the US?
I mean it comes off as easy to hide such things when ones kid is kept at home for most of their childhood. Does the state perform house visits and such?

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for replying :) This is highly, highly uncommon in Europe and even more so up north. This is why I just had to familiarize myself with the way it's being carried out in the US. Now i know :) On a general basis what I find most unsettling with homeschooling then would be the lack of socialization as someone alreday have mentioned in this thread aswell as domestic violence and abuse.
How is such things revealed in the US?
I mean it comes off as easy to hide such things when ones kid is kept at home for most of their childhood. Does the state perform house visits and such?
What is socialization?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
noun
a continuing process whereby an individual acquires a personal identity and learns the norms, values, behavior, and social skills appropriate to his or her social position.

Definition of socialization | Dictionary.com
Who should give this socialization?

Are children their own age able to do so?

Perhaps the government who engages in war, corruption, and all manner of evil?
noun
a continuing process whereby an individual acquires a personal identity and learns the norms, values, behavior, and social skills appropriate to his or her social position.

Definition of socialization | Dictionary.com

That actually sounds like the definition of Biblical Parenting

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Arguably the last people children should "socialize" with.

So cutting them out from interactions with people their own age is the way to go? I'm sorry, but this seems rather hurtful to them in the long run. They have to adopt to society at some point right? I mean if they're going to work and live in the secular sphere?
Tolerance and understanding cannot be properly built if ones cut of from conflicting worldviews. Empirically speaking this seems difficult unless one establishes a sect of some sort, kind of like the amish one. If there's books and disagreements even in church children will eventually develop their own opinions, some of which will deviate from that of thier parents etc.

This is basically what happened in Europe during the reformation and the enlightenment era to follow. People never move harmoniously in one direction.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So cutting them out from interactions with people their own age is the way to go? I'm sorry, but this seems rather hurtful to them in the long run. They have to adopt to society at some point right? I mean if they're going to work and live in the secular sphere?
Tolerance and understanding cannot be properly built if ones cut of from conflicting worldviews. Empirically speaking this seems difficult unless one establishes a sect of some sort, kind of like the amish one. If there's books and disagreements even in church children will eventually develop their own opinions, some of which will deviate from that of thier parents etc.

This is basically what happened in Europe during the reformation and the enlightenment era to follow. People never move harmoniously in one direction.
No... My kids have siblings and they see kids at church. Plus they interact with the neighbors kids. Why does it have do be all day every day or nothing? That makes zero sense.

Plus, what kind tolerance and understanding do they need? The kind the government teaches?

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So cutting them out from interactions with people their own age is the way to go?
Depends on if you are raising children to be adult children or children to be adult adults.

I'm sorry, but this seems rather hurtful to them in the long run.

The Prussian model of schooling isn't very old. Historically, it's pretty new.

They have to adopt to society at some point right?

"At some point." Society can wait.

I mean if they're going to work and live in the secular sphere?

My wife seems to be doing alright and she was homeschooled. I've not heard of any homeschoolers going on any mass shootings at a public school.

Tolerance and understanding cannot be properly built if ones cut of from conflicting worldviews.

Tolerance and understanding aren't Christian virtues. It's just "secular wisdom" or rather "wisdom of Man." Read my signature.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hermit76
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,970.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(NOTE: if I used it wrong then bear with me, english is not my native tongue)
Hey, Stabat, you're talking to me now. These other guys are right about something; I'd ask if you can figure out what that is. Do you know what your own assumptions about what "socialization" are? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts - not very clearly. (Oh, and I am an ace EFL teacher; your English is excellent, so I'll work with you through any misunderstandings. :) )

Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My wife seems to be doing alright and she was homeschooled. I've not heard of any homeschoolers going on any mass shootings at a public school.

The thesis for my degree was about mass shootings being inherent to the design of public schools. The environment of the schools, somewhat intentionally, create the mass murderers - which is only an extreme example of an outcome from the common damage or twisting done to the students.

• Informative
Reactions: Justin-H.S.
Upvote 0