• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

PTSD - How do you cope with it?

JamesATL

Dulce et decorum est Pro Patria MORI!
Mar 5, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
✟8,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been in the military most of my adult life. I know I have PTSD and I know that if I didn't stay as active as I am now, I'd probably flip and do crazy stuff... Most veterans are suffering from PTSD wether they know(like) it or not... For some it's 'silent' and for some it's violent... Question, how do you cope with your PTSD? The military isn't doing anything to help out... Come on, some 25 year old girl is gonna help me understand how to cope with killing people in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc? That's not gonna happen... What could be some ways to help? Right now, I have my PTSD in check by driving all over Eastern Europe and helping people out with money, clothes, old military gear, etc. That actually helps me out... What are your activities? Here's what a friend wrote about it:
PTSD... It is not a sicknes or a disease... We are not crazy or bipolar... We have been through TRAUMA... A lot of trauma, actually... PTSD is the effect... We have good days and we have bad days... Sometimes ups and downs in less than an hour... Sometimes we know our triggers, sometimes we don't... Sometimes there is no trigger, it just is... Some of us have bad dreams, night sweats, shakes, anxiety attacks, depression, isolation, and a slew of other symptoms and sometimes we don't. Some days are worse than others and yes, we have our good days too. We didn't ask for PTSD. We don't like our PTSD, but we have it, are aware of it, and we try to make it through each day without letting it control us...

Attachments

• PTSD.jpg
    PTSD.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: J0SHUA

J0SHUA

Aug 30, 2013
✟9,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm. I'm not sure why it's violent for some and not for others. We definitely experience symptoms differently. I've never had a huge problem with anger, nightmares are usually on and off, anxiety attacks went away with time, depression started lifting when I got closer to God and decided to be more positive, and the only other symptoms I had were general anxiety and an inability to cry (or I'd only be able to cry for a few seconds and would feel a huge numbing kick in).

It scares me that there's people with PTSD that are violent. I've noticed that when I'm angry I tend to look at the big picture of things. Ask yourself when you're angry if it will really matter in 10 years from now (or remember we'll all be dead one day anyways). I also noticed that during an argument I don't like the hostility and by default I think to myself, "is it really worth ruining the peace with this person just to get my point out? Maybe we can understand each other's feelings and empathize with each other and move past this logically." Try practicing that. It's all about being logical and rational. Practice seeing the bigger picture and try to understand why the other person is angry and empathize with them.

I'm sorry you lived through that kind of violence in war. Thank you for your service. For your sleep issues, I talked to a woman with PTSD who took a medication that helped with nightmares. I can't remember the name of it, sorry, but maybe you can talk to your doctor about it. Her medication helped her a lot.

I don't know how long you have had PTSD but time has helped a lot for me. Exposure therapy helps too, but don't be too extreme and do more than you can handle. To answer your question about activities, I like to listen to music, be outside and experience nature, pray and get closer to God, read the Bible, shoot some arrows at practice targets (hunting could be good exposure therapy to violence but I like to stay away from it), playing guitar, and writing. Make sure to write your feelings on paper everyday or every other day. Try camping or hiking or canoeing, something that involves the outdoors. Nature is beautiful and really calms me down. Try to have some fun, spend time with family and loved ones and keep a positive attitude. Reflect on positive memories in your past while doing deep breathing. While doing this, it helps to imagine that your breath is something special. I once heard in a relaxation video to pretend your breath is warm glowing light filling up your entire body, and I heard from someone on this site to pretend that your breath is God. Both ideas have helped me a lot. Maybe also listen to calm music while doing this and sit outside somewhere. Just be kind to yourself and allow yourself to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, like love, nature, and fun activities. We don't have to be depressed or live as most people with PTSD live. We don't have to be the stereotype or fulfill the stigma and I believe it's up to us and that we can make what we want to make out of life.

And also, always get closer to God. That's what helps me the most. There's nothing as peaceful and comforting as God. He is a unique Being that will help you more than any of the ideas I have given you in this post. Be sure to trust in Him and know that He will heal your PTSD one day. Just because He doesn't answer your prayers immediately doesn't mean He never will. He might be saying "wait" rather than "no." I hope you feel better soon. I will pray for you

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2014
✟15,157.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hey there, I have not been diagnosed yet, but I'm experiencing most of the symptoms and have just started seeing a therapist to get diagnosed. My trauma is caused by years of mental and physical abuse, but the symptoms are night sweats, inability to fall/stay asleep, extreme fatigue, some nightmares, loss of concentration, loss of memory, a lot of anxiety attacks, a lot of confusion, a need to isolate myself. Can't handle extra stress at all. I'm not a angry as I used to be and my depression is getting better.

What has helped me so far is spending time in church and with God, prayer, being in nature, cooking, writing. Learning to actually start breathing right.
Like the one above me said, just enjoying the simple pleasures of life and being kind to oneself helps. And most importantly talking to other people that has some of the same experiences. I joined a support group and I'm very glad I did. To be able to talk to somebody that understands me and helps me sort out things. Mindfulness meditation also has helped me a bit, I recommend it.

I'm on long term sick leave cause I can't handle anything but myself right now. Just peace and quiet, doing things only for ME. Going to my therapist, seeing a psychomotor physiotherapist, spending time with family, friends and God and doing things I like to do when I have the energy. I've gotten better at not isolating myself so much, it just made things worse.

I actually started going to another therapist before the one I'm seeing now and she didn't understand what I was talking about at all, and actually just made things worse. My anxiety got worse and I got more depressed. This new one seems like she understands though and I feel I can trust her.
So you might want to look for a therapist that specializes treatment of PTSD. He or she might not have experienced the horrors you had to, but if you find a good one they will know how these things affect the psyche and how you can start dealing with it.

Hope this all made sense, my writing and communication skills are not at it's peak right now :) I know God will work everything out and I'm praying for you.

Upvote 0

Sarafina

Mar 24, 2014
✟15,121.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
We have been through TRAUMA... A lot of trauma, actually... PTSD is the effect.

I have been through a trauma also and I have PTSD symptoms - no chance yet to get a diagnosis as there are limited options available to me. I did not experience combat but last fall I was surrounded by police and arrested during a peaceful protest and detained in a small space with others for about an hour - some were there two hours. The police had guns and tear gas and rubber bullets. They were not used but I live in a city where mentally ill people have been shot and killed by police.

I can identify with you to some extent - this does not mean that I expect you to identify with me. What I am going through is very small compared to what you have experienced but I wanted to share and try to encourage you to keep going, one day at a time. Sounds like you are coping well but I know it is not easy.

I can identify with the strange dreams and anxiety or panic attacks. Last month I went to Walmart and I had this bizarre conviction that riot police would suddnly come in and herd everyone into an aisle. I also had a dream that I was going into a subway station and there were two riot police there with tear gas guns except now these looked more like rocket launchers and I was turning my head away trying not to be seen by them in the dream.

In waking life I get nervous when I see any police even though I have not been in trouble with them before. I felt I had to participate in this trayumatic event to protect kids who are dying of cancer because of industry in my country. I am an older lady pushing 60. Why should I be dreaming of rocket launchers? It is rather strange.

Upvote 0

Murrisch

Long-term goal: world domination
Apr 2, 2014
Arizona
✟7,706.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I had nightmares but after four years of therapy they up and went away. Didn't anticipate that.

Insomnia is still a problem with me, but my naturopathic M.D. started me on kavakava, Kavinace which is a proprietary blend of Taurine and 4-amino-3phenylbutyric acid HCL, and Valeria root essence and it has worked well so far.

Temper and anger have been a problem and actually increased about 7 or 8 years ago (I was sick at the time, very sick) to the point that I once destroyed me bleeding edge computer by smashing the monitor into the computer case.

My main way of coping with anger and temper is avoidance which is not the best way admittedly. I just do not do things when I feel that I am getting short tempered. I know through experience that if I continue doing whatever I will end up breaking something or get verbally abusive.

Upvote 0

Sarafina

Mar 24, 2014
✟15,121.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Thanx Murrisch for the info about natural supplements that help with sleep. So many of them just do not work. I lke hearing about ones that do. Right now I can not afford to order expensive stuff so I will have to use the Amitrytptaline which I can get for free. It really helps with sleep but is not my favourite medication and when I get some cash I will look into what you suggested. This would be after going off the "Ami" (in French this means "friend").

Hope you can find more effective ways of dealing with your anger issues. Are there any assertive training groups still around? Communication skill groups?

Upvote 0

Murrisch

Long-term goal: world domination
Apr 2, 2014
Arizona
✟7,706.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanx Murrisch for the info about natural supplements that help with sleep. So many of them just do not work. I lke hearing about ones that do. Right now I can not afford to order expensive stuff so I will have to use the Amitrytptaline which I can get for free. It really helps with sleep but is not my favourite medication and when I get some cash I will look into what you suggested. This would be after going off the "Ami" (in French this means "friend").

Hope you can find more effective ways of dealing with your anger issues. Are there any assertive training groups still around? Communication skill groups?

I'm familiar with Amitrytptaline and I'm grateful it works for you. As you know its been around for a long time and besides the dry mouth and constipation which is common it seems to have few really bad side effects.

There's nothing like a good nights sleep:))))))

I'm pretty lucky to be in a financial place where I can afford naturopathic supplements AND that they work. Sadly, some . . . well, maybe most cannot afford them.

Tryptophan works well for some people. Not sure of the cost or availability of that.

My issues of anger and irritability . . . well, it an ongoing process as they say. I've avoided any problems with it for a long time and it usually doesn't become a problem unless I get tired. So I have to be extra careful when I get tired or try and not get tired which is hard if I don't sleep well, lol.

Upvote 0

Christian ND

Dec 12, 2004
✟15,344.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After multiple deployments, 20 years on active duty and counting, I am getting worse. Never spoke to a doctor but I deal with others in the Military at my level misconduct due to their PTSD all the time and deal with LEOs, Psyc, etc..... I just never went for me due to lack of privacy rights as a senior leader. Word always gets out when leadership has issues. I go 0-100 in a heart beat. High risk hobbies, panic attacks, very little sleep, always checking doors at night, etc... I hate being startled, loud noises, and Independence Day is the worst time of year. I can go on but you all get the point. I get relief from being alone constantly. I live apart from my spouse due to kids schooling after last set of orders so the alone time is abundant.

Upvote 0

Sarafina

Mar 24, 2014
✟15,121.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Sorry you are having such a difficult time of it. I wish combat vets could get PTSD treatment without any shame or stigmatization. I live in Canada and it is pretty much the same with our vets returning from Afghanistan, many after several tours of duty - we have lost a lot of good soldiers who just couldn't take it any more and those that try to get help are just told to "suck it up". There is a lot of talk about sensitivity to vets with PTSD but not a lot of action and the soldiers when they do get help are sent to young therapist with no experience that enables them to relate to vets. In Israel the therapists serve alongside recruits and the units along with the therapist-soldier stay together before, during and after. They have a lot lower rate of PTSD. If you find the CBC radio website and search for "Israeli soldiers and PTSD" (or google search this term) you could listen to this excellent program. I can only urge you to hang in there and give yourself lots of time for your mind to work out the trauma stored in your mind and body. There are medications to help with sleep. Take as prescribed to stay safe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Debby 24

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Great Britain
✟14,863.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Praying that the Lord will give you wisdom, and will lead you to full recovery, to put the right people in your path medically to give the best advice or treatment or just in friendship that will help you and support you, that He grants you healing and strength beyond all human understanding. That your faith can be strengthened in the Power of God over your life.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do I cope with it? I pray. "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) But things keep coming back. But God can make me strong so they can not effect me. I can forgive. Forgiving makes me stronger. But my character needs curing in God's peace. "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

So, obviously, sucking it up is not the answer. But this world's people don't know what we need. But you never know who God can use; so do listen to any person who cares about you, and do not fear ones who might make you ashamed. Ones who try to make you feel ashamed do not know how to love you; and they are losing so much by not knowing how to love; so do not let such people have power over you; and it is foolish to expect unloving people to be able to feel for you and help you!

Only our Father is able > Jesus says, "without Me you can do nothing," in John 15:5. But His peace is almighty; there is a battle; so we do need people who can pray with us; those attacks are design plays to keep us from being in God's peace.

By forgiving shamers and caring about them, you can become stronger against the attacks. Because being strong against shame helps make us strong against fear and pain and other things. Forgiving helps make us stronger.

And so, of course, we do not need our egos to be "healed" to themselves. We need our brothers and sisters in Jesus, to become one with each other so we are stronger together with God through Jesus.

Jesus is our High Priest > "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15) So, Jesus has been through trauma, and He feels for us. He went through trauma, in order to be here for us. So, we get stronger, by going through things with the attitude that our experience can help us to feel for others and help others with how God's grace helps us. We can take advantage of our suffering to help us help others, and this loving helps to encourage us and make us stronger against our own trouble.

So, everything in God's word is medicine - - with correction, though, for ourselves, not being victims at the mercy of the world's system and hoping worldly people will understand and help us. Or . . . by depending on people who "don't get it", we stay weak. Have mercy on them, compassion > "He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

Paul was whipped and beaten. And I imagine he personally knew and loved brothers and sisters who were killed by persecution. So, how did he deal with trauma? 2 Corinthians 12:7-15 > including

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 > "And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

In God's grace, Paul actually took "pleasure" in his sufferings. Because God's grace is almighty. Consider how Jesus had been hated and whipped and beaten and cursed and nailed, and in His resurrection He still had His wounds but His wounds could not keep making Him suffer. And His grace in us has the same almighty resurrection power.

So, if you try to do it yourself, this is part of our problem.

I have found that everyday people can help me with any problem, but I need to listen and give what they say to God, for how He is able to use any caring person's love and help. I need to be humble > "swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (in James 1:19-20)

So, it is important that I am not ready to self-righteously criticize people for not understanding me. Be humble. Pride can have me reacting violently, feeling somehow superior . . . but actually isolated by how I am judging. And, like I say . . . shame can be a dirty trick, making me feel like others want to shame me, when they have no such desire. Let each person speak for oneself!

Blessing and not cursing . . . I can become stronger as I bless people who even do despise me. But, also, I can easily assume they are trying to shame me, when ones are not! "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18) So, God's love almighty with resurrection power "casts out fear". He cast Satan to earth "like lightning" (Luke 10:18). So, He can give your attacks a smacking :)

So, there are people who have been telling you the right thing. And God understands you better than you do :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I found that bodybuilding and strength training help me cope with PTSD, because the stronger I am in comparison to the world around me, the more in control I feel and the less I feel anyone or anything can hurt me -- I feel safer and it helps.

That's what my son did - for him it was martial arts but a similar idea. So, from what I've seen the big thing seems to be finding something that makes you feel safe.

It seems everyone here is speaking of military cases, but there are other cases as well. For my son it was some severe abuse that happened at school ... which of course makes me feel guilty that we didn't get it stopped in time. The problem was, even after the abuse stopped, going back to school always triggered episodes. Even switching schools didn't help.

I'm sure it's different for you guys in the military, but for him the answer seemed to be finding that safe zone. He wouldn't trust anyone, so martial arts gave him some self-confidence to start the healing.

After that we noticed he never had episodes around me - only when I was gone. So, we worked to find him an aide at school he could trust. That helped a little more. We're currently trying to get a trained dog that he can trust and take with him since the aide can't go everywhere. The Americans with Disabilities act allows you to take the dog anywhere you want as long as its trained.

Finally, his relationship with God is much improved. It seemed that after taking those other steps he was finally ready to talk to God again, and his faith has grown tremendously over the last few years. He's actually reaching out to other people and using his PTSD as a conversation starter for witnessing.

Upvote 0

melody123

Your Love is better than life ~ Psalm 63:3
Oct 2, 2012
✟7,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James, you have probably never have had someone ask you this.. But have you ever had your blood sugar checked?

I also was diagnosed with PTSD in 2007. I had several traumas that happened to me in a short time of a year and a half. I spent thousands of dollars on psychs and counsellors but never got better.

It was sometime later that I found out about a man called Jurriaan Plesman.. A nutritional psychologist who himself was in the Vietnam War (I believe) and had "PTSD". What he found out through years of treating clients was that usually there was already an underlying illness of hypoglycemia before the traumas arose. After the stress of the traumas the hidden hypoglycemia came out full throttle, and the person could not recover from their traumas. Hypoglycemia is frequently linked to Adrenal fatigue, because it damages your adrenals and cortisol. Hypothyroidism , infections and other co-factors are usually present as well, as other autoimmune illnesses, depending on how long it is untreated.

Panic attacks for example are a blood sugar problem for the most part. A magnesium deficiency in the presence of calcium, too much dairy, sugar, processed foods and carbohydrates.

When magnesium deficiencies are rampant, copper and other heavy metals toxcities have a way of building up and a high copper to zinc (which is usually always low) is another cause of panic attacks. The copper/zinc ratio is the hormone ratio.

I found out that I had SEVERE hypoglycemia when I went to an Orthomolecular doctor. Prior and for several years I was seeing my allopathic doctor and he never ever mentioned I had this. The light went ON and it was from that day that I went from what I thought was PTSD (because I couldn't get over my traumas) to being diagnosed with Adrenal or Chronic Fatigue. I immediately went on a Natural Diet (often called many other things like Hypoglycemic diet, paleo, Atkins) to balance my blood sugar, went on a Nutritional Balancing program with TEI labs which included balancing and optimizing mineral levels (especially magnesium-VITAL) . I was able to detox my copper and increase my magnesium levels, while decreasing my calcium levels and my panic attacks and anxiety ceased. YES. (Also, L-Glutamine and food -grade Glycerine are great to use to stave off anxiety attacks while on this healing protocol).

Usually the protocol is: change the diet, increase and optimize minerals needed, and then see if some counselling is needed for remaining, I would say, REAL issues, and not ones fabricated by the blood sugar or mineral imbalance. Many phobias arise from hypoglycemia.

Being a Believer, I also spent huge amounts of time meditating on God's Word. Psalm 91,63,23, Romans 8:28-39 and many more. I also added ozonated water to my protocol, which helps to kill any stubborn parasites, virus,bacteria from my body.
]
Together-- this whole protocol ~ I am completely free and well today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are a few links if you are interested in what I am saying. I do hope you are not offended :) by my post..?. Because really when I was first challenged that I did not have PTSD I was very offended lol. It took me some time and well, really it was my recovery that cemented in the truth of my diagnosis. Many MENTAL illness are really *biological *, as much as spiritual. Sometime they are both, sometimes not.. I targeted both!

Here are some links for more information on this :

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Hypoglycemia | Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia -

.Jurriaan Plesman, Hypoglycemia and PTSD (made with Spreaker) - YouTube

Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia -

www.biblelife.org

Facebook Forum ~
Mental Illness and Nutritional Treatment

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I picked up a number of things in my military career. Thankfully I didn't get PTSD. As it is, I'm 100% disabled and life after the military has really been a struggle.

Someone mentioned that staying close to the Lord is the best thing he does. I agree with that. That doesn't mean I dismiss the various therapies that are known to help people. But God is truly great and can do anything.

A real good friend of mine who is a therapist that treats a number of PTSD clients, uses a therapy called EMDR. She says that EMDR is the most effective therapy she's found for it. The sessions are longer than most talk therapy sessions and there's still not an abundance of EMDR practitioners. But if anyone is close to a good sized city a practitioner can usually be found.

I'm praying for everyone here. If anyone would like to talk please come to the Ask a Chaplain Forum. We can't solve everything but we give it our best shot.

God bless everyone and all the best,

CH Sacerdote

Upvote 0