Should he have tried to speak against his class?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

anamichele07

Mar 21, 2016
United States
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello! Today my boyfriend's college psych class had a discussion about human sexuality. Very quickly the conversation turned to being completely anti-Christian. People were saying that Christians are just closed-minded and think they are better than everyone else by judging. We believe that homosexual acts are sins, but we also know that we have our own sins. My boyfriend just wasn't sure what to say and was caught off guard when his entire class was on board with the idea that Christianity is evil. Does anyone have some advice for what to do in those situations? Thank you!

Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's tough. Especially since he was caught off guard. Hopefully he doesn't feel guilty for not speaking up... He probably took something valuable away from the experience and can grow from it, whether he realizes it or not. Unfortunately most colleges are pretty anti-christian from what it seems. I think if anyone were to find themselves in a situation like that and don't know what to do, then it's best to just give it up to God... I know I probably wouldn't have known what to say under those circumstances, so just let the Holy Spirit work His magic if that's what He wants... If you pray and tell God to take control and use you if He chooses to, then He is justified in acting if that is indeed what He wants to do. But at the very least you (your boyfriend, whoever) could just pray for healing in the room. Hope that helps some.

Last edited:
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And regarding your poll... it's really hard for anyone on here to determine if he should have spoken up. We don't know his walk with God or him for that matter...or even what the actual incident was like. Obviously a lot of christians will say 'of course he should have! ... be strong and courageous!'.. And while that is true and important for us as christians to be strong and courageous, I think situations can go much deeper than that. I bet your boyfriend and God will grow closer because of this incident and if he feels guilty for not speaking up I don't think he should. Lots and lots of trials and learning in the most unexpected ways will fill our lives, He is a great teacher.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think he did right while doing nothing.
What I find sad, is that Christians are seen as judging people. It is really sad, and can also say much about some Christian attitudes.
What could he say? People think whatever they want, only saying the contrary is not convincing. If your boyfriend wants to show that Christians are not necessary judging people, then he should listen to his class' arguments and then acting to show that he is not like that.

However, if the class uses false statements or false teachings to justify their opinion, then he should have correct it. I cannot really say if it was like that from your post. In any case, he should not try so speak against but with his class.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! Today my boyfriend's college psych class had a discussion about human sexuality. Very quickly the conversation turned to being completely anti-Christian.
So, they have nothing positive to say, testimonies of how beneficial "free sex" is!
Of course not. Being in love is the way and if you truly love another you will want the best for them and be drawn to God to deepen your relationship.

A full discussion should include the effect of unintended pregnancies and the heartache involved. 42% choose abortion as the solution (that's about 800,000/year in the USA according to Wiki) but this has negative mental/physical and emotional effects.

Of course they have hard hearts & closed minds, as Paul says:

"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, ...Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves" (Romans 1:22-24)

"Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness" (Eph. 4:18-19)

We were made by the best, for the best, lust, like all addictions doesn't satisfy, that's why people are always seeking something new, this is "an adulterous generation".
And of course many people calling themselves "Christian" are not actually walking in the Spirit, so they are just natural people subject to the same weaknesses.

You probably can't reason with these people, but, just bmake sure you are happy and content, "walking in the Spirit" and they will see that really they are just arguing against themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EveryTongueConfess

Hi, I'm ETC.
Aug 30, 2009
✟7,936.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi Ana,

My advice for your boyfriend would be to prepare now so he won't be caught off guard in the future. I think Matthew 10 is a great encouragement for standing up and sharing his beliefs for what is God honoring. If they're sharing views/opinion, I think sharing his views is God honoring. If they're aggressive and provoking/he's frustrated, there is great glory and wisdom in being silent.

Christianity in culture isn't condemned -- but intellectually Biblical views are. You won't suffer persecution for saying you're a Christian, but you will be persecuted (labeled as stupid or bigoted), for holding Biblical views. Rejoice, pray, and give thanksgiving in all trials and opportunities to be shamed for Christ, for you know the living God sees it all.

It's tough! Prayfully prepare and remind yourself of God's love for them, and how much you care for them, and be salt and light!

Upvote 0

soulwanderer13

Oct 31, 2016
United States
✟11,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I feel pretty bad for the guy... I've been in a very similar situation. I was also in a psych class, talking about human sexuality, and someone made a joke (can't remember exactly what it was), something along the lines of how stupid it was that people still think that being anything other than heterosexual is wrong, and I'd say just about everyone in that class room laughed. I felt pretty angry to be honest. These are the same people that preach kindness and tolerance, but make fun of a Christian the first instance they get the chance.

I'd also say he was right by not making a big deal out of it. In college, especially nowadays, people can actually have their lives ruined for speaking an opinion. Somehow, professors can get away with giving bad grades because of a student's opinion, and it could get bad enough that it would be hard even getting a job after college... His opinions and thoughts didn't change because he didn't speak out. There is always a time and place for debates like that.

Upvote 0

IridescentLight

Feb 1, 2017
Florida
✟11,554.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello! Today my boyfriend's college psych class had a discussion about human sexuality. Very quickly the conversation turned to being completely anti-Christian. People were saying that Christians are just closed-minded and think they are better than everyone else by judging. We believe that homosexual acts are sins, but we also know that we have our own sins. My boyfriend just wasn't sure what to say and was caught off guard when his entire class was on board with the idea that Christianity is evil. Does anyone have some advice for what to do in those situations? Thank you!

Yeah I deal with that in my biology classes with the "theory" of evolution, even though they treat it as if it's fact. In those situations I just try to ignore the person speaking. Somehow, Satan has taken over places of "higher learning" and we as Christians just need to stand strong in our beliefs, at least in our mind.

I don't know why, but I find it amusing that they say that Christians are "close minded" when they would probably try and ruin his life for even mentioning that he was a Christian.

I'm just curious, do you know if your boyfriends psych class teaches that people are born with homosexuality?

Upvote 0

JesusIsMyTicket

Mar 8, 2017
Idaho
✟19,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this reminds me of my theatre 101 teacher. One day he started saying Christians, especially Catholics, are bat-can't put this word here-- crazy. I remember feeling intimidated by his authority as a new freshman while most of the class chimed in to say how he was true. I admire two ladies in the class who DID speak up.
I think it is hard, and God won't condemn you for not standing up for Him, but it would be better and honorable to do so. As you can see I'm not perfect either - I didn't say anything to him...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums