WordAloud

Nov 14, 2012
✟17,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

I've been trying to do a psalm a day on my website with some commentary and a set of pictures.

I'm up to 100 but this is 91 - Psalm 91 KJV Audio | King James Audio Bible | Word Aloud

I only do the one a day and sometimes I have a day off, because it's nice being in the moment and it's best to rest.

I love this psalm because it is part of Compline, which is night prayer. It reminds me of the most beautiful times I have spent in a monastery, when this most beautifully concludes the day, and readies for sleep - a peaceful night.

I'd love it if you visited my site and see what's there.

This is the commentary I wrote:
Attributed traditionally to King David, Psalm 91 (Vulgate 90) begins by highlighting safety and security provided to those who dwell in the secret place of God, finding shelter under God’s shadow.

The psalm expresses a personal commitment to God as refuge and fortress – deep trust in God’s protection. The psalmist uses vivid imagery to convey God’s shielding presence, comparing this to the protective wings of a bird and emphasizing the reliability of God’s truth as a spiritual defence.

Through the psalm, scenarios are presented — from dangers of the night to perils in broad daylight. The message is reassurance: those who seek refuge in God need not fear external threats. The psalmist knows divine intervention, describing a place where even a thousand may fall at one’s side, yet no harm will befall the one under God’s protection.

The psalm expresses angelic guardianship, asserting that God will command His angels to watch over the believer in all his ways. This emphasizes comprehensive nature of God’s protection.

With specific fears of wild animals, the psalm declares that those under God’s care will tread upon lions and adders, symbolic of overcoming life’s challenges. This sentiment extends to promise of deliverance and honour for those who call upon God in times of trouble.

Closing verses of the psalm underscore enduring nature of God’s commitment to those who love Him. This assurance of answered prayers, deliverance in times of trouble, and promise of a satisfied and long life with the revelation of salvation are the message of this psalm.

It's also quite good if you look up the singing of Compline on YouTube.

Thank you,

Oliver