Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alright I often try to avoid giving my opinion about films in public, especially on social media and such. I feel kind of cliché or pretentious giving my opinion or critique as a film student/filmmaker.

That said, I saw the film Only The Brave yesterday afternoon and I have to see that's one of the best films I've seen in a very long time. I can't stop thinking about it, and I highly recommend that everyone go and see it.

For those who haven't heard about it, it's a true story about the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a team of wild land firefighters from Prescott, Arizona who made up the first municipal hot shot crew, and their subsequent experiences fighting fires, specifically:

The tragedy with the Yarnell Hill Fire in 2013. 19 out of 20 of the crew members were killed in a burnover, even though they deployed their fire shelters.

The film stars electric performances from Josh Brolin, Jennifer Connolly, Jeff Bridges, Miles Teller, and Taylor Kitsch, as well as several others. Brolin, Kitsch, and Teller all testified to how their time researching for the roles and then shooting the film bonded them in a way they've never experienced on a film set before, and it really comes through in putting the bond between fireman on display.

It's incredibly well-written, with an excellent blend of humor and gravitas, and the cinematography is breathtaking: it really captures the destructive power that a wildfire has and drives home the idea how the devastation can move so quickly.

The Granite Mountain Hotshots are heroes and their monuments are the towns and the people they saved in their lifetime. The film itself is a triumph in motion picture storytelling, and I really hope it's given a few Academy Awards, they would be well-deserved.

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That said, I saw the film Only The Brave yesterday afternoon and I have to see that's one of the best films I've seen in a very long time. I can't stop thinking about it, and I highly recommend that everyone go and see it.

Interesting, what do you like about this film?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting, what do you like about this film?

I touched on that a bit further down in the OP, but to sum it up: the writing, acting, directing, cinematography, and scoring were all sublime.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good to hear; I was living in Prescott Valley, AZ when the tragedy happened. I didn't know any of the firefighters personally, but had friends that did. It was a very emotional experience for residents in the area; seems everyone knew someone who was affected.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good to hear; I was living in Prescott Valley, AZ when the tragedy happened. I didn't know any of the firefighters personally, but had friends that did. It was a very emotional experience for residents in the area; seems everyone knew someone who was affected.

I imagine the whole town was devastated, those guys were local heroes for saving the town, and having the first municipal hotshot crew was definitely a point of pride for the community, so I can only guess how devastating it was for such a tragic loss.

Upvote 0