Proud to be American... NOT HERE!!!

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a substantially odd time for the people who have been screaming about the godless ACLU to notice that the school system of the united states of america uses the first amendment as toilet paper. For years we have heard complaints when the ACLU goes to bat for students wearing the Anarchy A t-shirt (though the silence about cases like the girl with the cross tatoo has been deafining). In the name of curbing gang violence the school system has been allowed to do anything it wants - notable examples include banning t-shirts of a certain color (including white, at times), banning any form of jewelry on guys, banning various messages on t-shirts (including a soft-drink), etc.

Well let me say this:

Welcome Onboard!

The school system tramples on the rights of students, and maybe this will bring to light that its not a conservative or liberal issue, but a simple one of free speech and the rights due an american citizen.

Reactions: SisterGeoff
Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Alarum said:
The school system tramples on the rights of students, and maybe this will bring to light that its not a conservative or liberal issue, but a simple one of free speech and the rights due an american citizen.

I agree. They are teaching these kids that punishment comes from anything they do and it's ridiculous. What do they think these children believe about our country when they are being treated this way?

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Alarum said:
This is a substantially odd time for the people who have been screaming about the godless ACLU to notice that the school system of the united states of america uses the first amendment as toilet paper. For years we have heard complaints when the ACLU goes to bat for students wearing the Anarchy A t-shirt (though the silence about cases like the girl with the cross tatoo has been deafining). In the name of curbing gang violence the school system has been allowed to do anything it wants - notable examples include banning t-shirts of a certain color (including white, at times), banning any form of jewelry on guys, banning various messages on t-shirts (including a soft-drink), etc.

Well let me say this:

Welcome Onboard!

YEAP.

So Voegelin, arnegrim, and ballfan, the ACLU is always need of members or donations to help restore the constitution from those who wish to treat it like "just a piece of paper."

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If kids can't play nicely with their toys, we take 'em away. Mexican flags, American flags, whatever. Until they're mature enough to display them maturely and responsibly, don't let them have 'em. I don't see what the fuss is about.

There's no question that the recent immigration stuff has caused some....heightened tensions. If it's the case that several people are inciting bad behavior, it doesn't seem inappropriate to me to take away the tool with which that behavior is incited.

Upvote 0

ballfan

Sep 6, 2005
NC
✟10,568.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Alarum said:

The school system has valid reasons for many of the things it does. In the instances you mention I can see the reasoning. There is no valid reason to take down the US flag in this country. There is no right to "gang violence" that I know of. The schools though do operate under the patronage of the local, state, and federal governments.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
ballfan said:
The school system has valid reasons for many of the things it does. In the instances you mention I can see the reasoning. There is no valid reason to take down the US flag in this country. There is no right to "gang violence" that I know of. The schools though do operate under the patronage of the local, state, and federal governments.

Huh? I thought they were obligated to since they are funded by taxpayer money?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
arnegrim said:
So... instead of disciplining the students for their behavior... you ban anything that symbolizes US patriotism...
If dumb kids are disrupting school with something, that something (whether it be flags or whatever) gets banned. That's pretty much par for the course.

Upvote 0

Alarum

Nov 5, 2004
✟6,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
burrow_owl said:
If dumb kids are disrupting school with something, that something (whether it be flags or whatever) gets banned. That's pretty much par for the course.
Are you kidding? That's not par for the course. Par for the course is suspension for a couple months or expulsion of anyone wearing anything resembling the disruptive item. That the administrators used their discretion to only suspend the students for a couple days for the crime of having an american flag is somewhat amazing.

Of course the administrators could have exercised simple common sense and suspended anyone caught shoving the flag in someone's face or jeering at someone or making racist comments, but that's too subtle for them. Why use a needle when you can use a sledgehammer?

Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Alarum said:
Of course the administrators could have exercised simple common sense and suspended anyone caught shoving the flag in someone's face or jeering at someone or making racist comments, but that's too subtle for them. Why use a needle when you can use a sledgehammer?

If they were enforcing the rules that they ALREADY have regarding student's actions, there would be no need for this ridiculous ban.

Unfortunately I understand the point in a way. I wanted to get a flag sticker for my new car, but I have about a 75% chance of either being keyed or having my windows broken in my own neigborhood if I have anything patriotic or troops-positive on my vehicle. Two of my neighbors (both Marines) have had their cars vandalized in the last two weeks, and the problem is ongoing.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Schools can already have their newspapers edited by the principal, so I don't see why people are screaming now.

Free speech was never absolute in primary and secondary schools, so it should come as no surprise when this ban occurs. This is not a permanent ban anyway, it's most likely temporary until the tension lays over. This is a school first, a place of learning, where you learn about math, science, english, etc. The display of any flags at this moment isn't to show patriotism or to show solidarity, it's the equivalent of sticking your tongue out at others.

Schools will ban something when it is apparent that you're wasting too much time trying to enforce a rule. They don't allow chewing gum, no one says anything, you can't wear a hat, no one says anything, no they ban the flags temporarily, and there is an uproar? When you're having groups of students fighting over somehting as small as a flag, remove the flags and get them back to learning.

I think complaining about the ban is useless because you're forgetting the purpose of school in the first place. If the students all feel this is so wrong, they should collectively stage a walkout. That won't happen because we know the flag display was about raising tension, something you don't have the right to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

warispeace

ubi dubium, ibi libertas
Jan 14, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
✟8,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Jetgirl said:
If they were enforcing the rules that they ALREADY have regarding student's actions, there would be no need for this ridiculous ban.

Unfortunately I understand the point in a way. I wanted to get a flag sticker for my new car, but I have about a 75% chance of either being keyed or having my windows broken in my own neigborhood if I have anything patriotic or troops-positive on my vehicle. Two of my neighbors (both Marines) have had their cars vandalized in the last two weeks, and the problem is ongoing.

Cars are getting keyed for having an AMERICAN FLAG on them? That's insane.

Sounds like the work of a couple of teenagers with too much time on their hands.

Upvote 0

ballfan

Sep 6, 2005
NC
✟10,568.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.usdreams.com/Greenwood79.htmlhttp://www.brownielocks.com/godblesstheusaWAVE.html

GOD BLESS THE USA

If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there’s pride in every American heart,
and it’s time to stand and say:

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S
.A.

Upvote 0

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The flag is a symbol. When any symbol is used in a way to disrupt the classroom and antagonize others then it should be removed/banned temporarily. The flag is no exception and neither is a christian cross.

The appeals to emotion in this thread are simply hilarious and unimpressive.

Upvote 0