Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
From what I've heard from discussions I've been in on salvation, there's a belief that I believe is far too simplistic, but many hold to:

If you believe in Christ, your fate for heaven is sealed, and you will be saved when you die. If you don't believe in Christ, you can't be saved, and you go to hell.

This is generally supported by verses like John 14:6 ("...No one comes to the Father except through me"), and the belief in Sola Fide (salvation by faith alone).

To match the style of the OP, I'm not taking a stance, just listing what many believe.

God be with us all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is a discussion so don't accuse me of anything.

I know that Protestants believe in an invisible Church so does that mean there is no possible non-Christians can be saved?
It depends on the denomination. Generally speaking, the answer would be yes. But it does depend upon the person's commitment to Christ. I suppose there is a possibility of an individual believing while, however, technically belonging to some non-Christian faith in a non-Western country or something like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know one can see the invisible church, do I need a pair invisible glasses to know who is all there?

Did someone say that the invisible church can be seen?

The members of the invisible church can of course be guessed at, and they are visible.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, according to what I know, the invisible Church is made of all Trinitarian Believers

I've heard some things about them too, Trinitarian is one of them, but there are some others who doubt those claims.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ecclesiam nulla salus
Outside the Church there is no salvation

The use of this expression has a long history in the Church and has been used with various shades of meaning.

Augustine explicitly used the idea, however not so much as an exclusivist idea as an inclusivist idea. He also spoke of sheep without and wolves within. The venerable Bede discusses the Church as the Ark of Salvation, which like the Ark of old saved those within, while those without perished. The general tenor of the discussion by the fathers is largely an inclusivist idea, distinguishing the Church (as that was all there was for Christians to belong to) from those outside the Church.

In the West the idea developed a more exclusivist idea in the post schism period. This was allied with a developing understanding (in the West) that Church was defined by communion with the Ancient See of Rome. This may be allied to an overemphasis of the role of the Son in the Procession of the Holy Spirit (filioque).

The Eastern view clearly never embraced such an understanding of the Church, and remained/s solidly biblical in its understanding of the procession of the Holy Spirit and its rejection of the filioque. In Eastern theology there is an acceptance of the vastness of God's love, and whilst they are given to great precision in the finest theological points, the eternal state of a given human being is inefable (unable to be told). As such the East has retained a more inclusive understanding of the term.

Vatican II and the Post Vatican II Church has also gone about the work of understanding the term perhaps now to infer that anyone who is saved is ultimately a member in some sense of the Church. In the Spirit of Vatican II they are moving / have moved to a more inclusive understanding of the term.

• Informative
Reactions: Ing Bee
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that Protestants believe in an invisible Church so does that mean there is no possible non-Christians can be saved?
I think different Protestants believe in different things.

I would say the church of Jesus is visible, but what makes someone a Christian in the church is invisible.

One needs to trust in Jesus for salvation > Ephesians 1:12.

But, also, we need how our Father personally corrects us in our character > how God Himself does this. Hebrews 12:4-14

And with Jesus we become gentle and humble in His gentle and quiet love >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

And we personally submit to how our Father guides us in His own peace ruling in our hearts >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

So, if what I am offering is so > you might have an interesting time finding out how many Protestants are gentle and quiet in all-loving love while personally obeying how our Heavenly Father rules us with His own peace in our hearts.

And if people have not heard the Gospel, it is likely you do not personally know any of these people, so you can see if they are living in God's own peace in submission to Him. So, how can you say, from experience?

The Bible does say, though, that Jesus says no one comes to the Father except through Jesus > John 14:6. And Jesus knows. But, also, Jesus did say He had more sheep to bring in. And ones have different ideas about this.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ecclesiam nulla salus
Outside the Church there is no salvation

The use of this expression has a long history in the Church and has been used with various shades of meaning.

Augustine explicitly used the idea, however not so much as an exclusivist idea as an inclusivist idea. He also spoke of sheep without and wolves within. The venerable Bede discusses the Church as the Ark of Salvation, which like the Ark of old saved those within, while those without perished. The general tenor of the discussion by the fathers is largely an inclusivist idea, distinguishing the Church (as that was all there was for Christians to belong to) from those outside the Church.

In the West the idea developed a more exclusivist idea in the post schism period. This was allied with a developing understanding (in the West) that Church was defined by communion with the Ancient See of Rome. This may be allied to an overemphasis of the role of the Son in the Procession of the Holy Spirit (filioque).

The Eastern view clearly never embraced such an understanding of the Church, and remained/s solidly biblical in its understanding of the procession of the Holy Spirit and its rejection of the filioque. In Eastern theology there is an acceptance of the vastness of God's love, and whilst they are given to great precision in the finest theological points, the eternal state of a given human being is inefable (unable to be told). As such the East has retained a more inclusive understanding of the term.

Vatican II and the Post Vatican II Church has also gone about the work of understanding the term perhaps now to infer that anyone who is saved is ultimately a member in some sense of the Church. In the Spirit of Vatican II they are moving / have moved to a more inclusive understanding of the term.
The Orthodox Church believes in Salvation through the Church but they don't say where the limits are.

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I believe Jesus told us that with God anything is possible.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on the denomination. Generally speaking, the answer would be yes. But it does depend upon the person's commitment to Christ. I suppose there is a possibility of an individual believing while, however, technically belonging to some non-Christian faith in a non-Western country or something like that.

Yes. All are considered.
1 Samuel 16:7
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Protestants have a range of beliefs. Despite the traditional Catholic doctrine, current Catholic thought doesn't actually exclude non-Catholics from salvation. Indeed recent popes have implied that there's a possibility for non-Christians.

Some Protestants think only Christians can be saved, but many think it's possible for non-Christians to be saved. It's very unusual for Protestants to limit salvation to their own church or family of churches.

The main way in which Protestants criticize Catholics in this area is that conservative Protestants (who think salvation is limited to Christians) sometimes criticize Catholics for thinking there's a possibility for non-Christians.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are you asking if someone does not have Christ as their Lord and Savior they cannot be saved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, according to what I know, the invisible Church is made of all Trinitarian Believers
Romans 8: NASB

15For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Romans 8: NASB

15For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
What's your point?

Upvote 0