Protein shakes and meal replacement shakes....

Trillian

The glue that holds it all together.
Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a friend who is doing that lap-band procedure and for 4 weeks after she has to be on a liquid diet. I feel so bad for her, because I know it's going to be aweful, so I volunteered to suffer with her.

So, I need to know what protein shakes and meal replacements actually taste good. Any tips?

And, before you asked... I talked to my doc. He thinks I'm nuts, but says it's no prob.

Tril

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would you want to do that with your body? So, because your friend made a lot of poor choices that got her where she is, you want to make similar unwise choices for your own health?

They are costly, processed, and should only used sparingly as a last resort supplement to an already very healthy diet. You making this decision to make poor choices for your own health does not help your friend. Well, I could go on here, but I'll probably end up being very unkind, so I'll stop here.

Eat real, natural, whole foods that are unprocessed or have very little processing. Do you want to end up like your friend?

Upvote 0

Trillian

The glue that holds it all together.
Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mdolls68 said:
Why would you want to do that with your body? So, because your friend made a lot of poor choices that got her where she is, you want to make similar unwise choices for your own health?

They are costly, processed, and should only used sparingly as a last resort supplement to an already very healthy diet. You making this decision to make poor choices for your own health does not help your friend. Well, I could go on here, but I'll probably end up being very unkind, so I'll stop here.

Eat real, natural, whole foods that are unprocessed or have very little processing. Do you want to end up like your friend?

As previously stated, I've already talked to my doctor. Thanks for the advice, but you didn't answer my question.

As for my friend, she has had a serious of medical issues that got her to this place and she has done everything she can to recover, but to no avail.

So... back to the question...

I am going to do a lot of juicing and things like that, but I need to know what protein drinks and meal replacements actually taste good. That is for when I need them, not for every meal...

Anyone out there with anything useful to say?

Upvote 0

2Bhumble

Veteran
Jan 16, 2004
Colorado
✟9,374.00
Faith
Christian
Well, you did ask. You'll get a variety of answers. It was good to ask your doctor. He does have a good point to say you're nuts for doing this. Your a good friend to do some co-suffering with your friend. OK, if you insist on not chewing your food for a few weeks, try whey protein in a blender. You can add it to milk or water. Try a tablespoon of almond or natural peanut butter, a scoop of plain yogurt, half a bannana and blend away. If you're really daring, put a can of tuna including the water in the can and add tomato or V8 juice and blend away. Nutritious - disgusting but nutritious. There's always soups as well. Drink quarts and quarts of water through this process. Your body will react through this. You'll lose a few pounds at first but in a while you may even gain a few pounds as your metabolism is going to slow way down. I hope it goes well for you and I hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

Upvote 0

dews

Nov 4, 2004
✟913.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I drink a protein shake, I put flax seed in it, perhaps a banana, or a spoonful of natural peanut butter. Berries are always nice to put in it. I am drinking Whey Gourmet. I have tried the Vanilla Ice Cream Royale, the Raspberry one, the Mint Chocolate Chip, and the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavour. Add ice to them. It makes them thicker. By adding frozen berries to it, it makes it really thick and filling. You might as well be doing some serious weight lifting if you are going to be drinking these shakes. That is primarily who they are designed for- weightlifters and to assist in muscle recovery and muscle building. It costs about $40 for 2 lbs.

What is wrong with your friend that she would be on a diet like that? Is it prescribed by her doctor? What is a lap-band procedure? Why does it have to be a LIQUID diet and not just healthy eating? Is this a fad-diet? Sorry about all the questions.

Protein shakes are filled with protein and other nutrients. Weightlifters often eat up to four scoops of the protein powder in one day. I will only eat maybe half a scoop and mix it with milk- not water like you can also do. Just try and add something of some nutrition to the powder- flax, berries, nuts, peanut butter, fruit, ricotta cheese, juice, or for a special treat- ice cream. I love drinking my shakes after a workout. They are like dessert. I have lots of recipies for them if you would like some.

While I don't suggest going on a liquid diet, you might as well make the shake as healthy as you can if you insist on going on it.

Upvote 0

Onesiphorus

Jun 16, 2004
✟769.00
Faith
Christian
Trillian said:
So, I need to know what protein shakes and meal replacements actually taste good. Any tips?

None (IMO). I'd have at least two flavors on hand: vanilla and chocolate. Use the vanilla when mixing fruits (smoothies) and other foods. Use the chocolate straight with milk. Mixing any with water is just too nasty for my tastes. Ensure that you use a blended protein most of the time. HDT ProBlend 55 for example. Do NOT take a whey isolate all the time (I would not recommend it at all for this scenario). I would strongly recommend an egg protein, too. There is little taste to egg protein so it can mix with any other ingredient. The egg is gritty, however, and hard to mix so a blender is usually required.

The key is the type of protein you use (blended). Mix little batches to see if you like a specific taste. Example: Put some bananas and peanut butter in with some egg protein and milk. Mix. If it tastes like cardboard, move on to another ingredient. You need to make sure the protein is slowly absorbed into your system and used over a long time (whey isolate acts in just the opposite manner). Also, you MUST drink plenty of water when doing this. The protein powders draw water from your gut wall and dehydration is easily acheived. I would also recommend putting as much real food into the liquid as possible.

Upvote 0

ptgd1st

Jan 11, 2005
California
✟8,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Onesiphorus said:
None (IMO). I'd have at least two flavors on hand: vanilla and chocolate. Use the vanilla when mixing fruits (smoothies) and other foods. Use the chocolate straight with milk. Mixing any with water is just too nasty for my tastes. Ensure that you use a blended protein most of the time. HDT ProBlend 55 for example. Do NOT take a whey isolate all the time (I would not recommend it at all for this scenario). I would strongly recommend an egg protein, too. There is little taste to egg protein so it can mix with any other ingredient. The egg is gritty, however, and hard to mix so a blender is usually required.

The key is the type of protein you use (blended). Mix little batches to see if you like a specific taste. Example: Put some bananas and peanut butter in with some egg protein and milk. Mix. If it tastes like cardboard, move on to another ingredient. You need to make sure the protein is slowly absorbed into your system and used over a long time (whey isolate acts in just the opposite manner). Also, you MUST drink plenty of water when doing this. The protein powders draw water from your gut wall and dehydration is easily acheived. I would also recommend putting as much real food into the liquid as possible.

I laughed when i read this because you are right. None of them taste good. What I do is simply use unflavored whey proteing and mix it with orange juice. It tastes great that way. But unflavored whey mixed or blended with any sort of fruit and juice is probably the best way to go taste wise.

Upvote 0

Christ Aficionado

Jun 19, 2004
Florida
✟390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I always go with EAS protein shakes. You can buy them ready to drink....
myoplexrtd.jpg

or buy the powder packets. Use soy milk, fresh fruits, and ice and you are set. You can probably get it cheaper on ebay too.

:cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums