TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would much rather have men choosing to touch then to shack up with harlots. Not to mention I think it's a sad event when a woman begins to take on such a job as a means to support herself. The practice is truly vile, despicable and disgusting. Masturbation while sinful is surely a much better alternative than prostitution regardless of how pathetic it is.

The only post I've read so far that I can completely agree with. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
A lot of people are shameful about it, that doesn't mean they SHOULD be. I see it as a necessary bodily function, and to be treated the same way. I don't go to the toilet in public, its a private matter that I don't usually discuss outside of highly specific circumstances, but that doesn't mean I should feel ASHAMED of it. I think the REAL shame is that so many people conflate private issues with shameful ones.
I agree.

I didn't mean to imply by my post that it is shameful, just that some people seem shameful about it. The poster I was responding to seems to feel that people around her are very open about it, and that is the opposite of the people I know (save for like 3 of them).

-Lyn

Upvote 0

Yahya Snow

Aug 18, 2009
England, Uk
✟15,185.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Heterosexual intercourse is the only natural form of sexuality in the God-created order of nature. Yet many men choose to satisfy their sexual desires in unnatural ways, such as sodomy or masturbation.

Fornication is a lesser sin compared to masturbation, and many men would choose to go to brothels in their area rather than masturbating if prostitution is legal. The society benefits when more men avoid the masturbation habit which is for losers.

How is that going to stop masturbation? Many married men do it too.

Also prostitution is very immoral and in many cases is further complicated by drugs:wave:

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if JoelM will be returning to this thread (new user/no activity in 2 weeks), but I would suggest he read some of the testimonials in the Survivors of Sex Industry section of the forum. Prostitution is generally not a victimless business.

Masturbation is arguably a sin, but done in moderation, is virtually victimless.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand the reasons why some people argue that it should be legal but we must also remember that prostitution, even though it will happen anyway, is best combated by not treating it like it is a legal institution.

I do not know how to fix the problem, frankly.

However, I do know that there is less prostitution in the US than in South Korea, and it is illegal in the US but for Nevada.

We need to consider the fact that prostitution makes victims of women and contributes to human trafficking that ruins lives; it also debases the human form.

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heterosexual intercourse is the only natural form of sexuality in the God-created order of nature.

Yet many men choose to satisfy their sexual desires in unnatural ways, such as sodomy or masturbation.

Fornication is a lesser sin compared to masturbation, and many men would choose to go to brothels in their area rather than masturbating if prostitution is legal. The society benefits when more men avoid the masturbation habit which is for losers.

What a bizarre post! "Fornication is a lesser sing compared to masturbation". Says who? The Bible? The Bible is very hard on premarital sex, ie, fornication. The Bible says nothing about masturbation. I'm not saying that it's necessarily okay to indulge yourself in it as much as you want. But putting it into perspective in regards to fornication, the Bible is clear which is the greater sin.

You've got the order of things all backwards.

And then you come up with this bizarre idea that it's better to have legalised prostitution rather than masturbation, claiming that it's a benefit for society.

Are you for real? Did you put any thought at all when you typed this post? How is it better for society to have seedy areas where prostitution is operating? Where there are areas that are supporting prostitution, there is crime, drugs etc. Plus there is the risk of sexually transmitted diseases with prostitution as opposed to none with masturbation. Did you bother to think of that? Obviously not.

I understand that there are people, especially Christians, that are against masturbation. But for you to be so passionately against it, even advocating prostitution as a substitute, tells me that you're not telling us the full story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
There was a time when brothels were the accepted norm, but now the brothels have given way to undercover prostitution via the internet and even those are being cracked down on by law enforcement.

I don't know that society could benefit if prostitution were legalized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brother Cavil

Fac Sapias et Liber Eris
Sep 6, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Libertarian
There was a time when brothels were the accepted norm, but now the brothels have given way to undercover prostitution via the internet and even those are being cracked down on by law enforcement.

One of the ways to eliminate underground prostitution is to bring it in to the open, where it can be monitored and regulated to ensure the general well being of all involved.

I don't know that society could benefit if prostitution were legalized.

Tax dollars, for one? Reduced human trafficking?

Upvote 0

Brother Cavil

Fac Sapias et Liber Eris
Sep 6, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Libertarian
legalizing prostitution is like one of those slippery slopes as is legalizing drugs..

I don't think either of us is particularly interested in prostitution or drugs(hardcore, at least), but when we consider the massive tax revenue and improvement in societies ability to help at-risk individuals that legalization would bring, it would seem the clear course of action.

I don't know, something about it just reeks of neatly packaged up Sin.

Since I haven't been around here long enough, I don't know if this is said very often, but while we should all be allowed to use our personal religion to guide our life choices, we should not allow it to dictate public policy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brother Cavil

Fac Sapias et Liber Eris
Sep 6, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure it would be massive tax revenue, but at what other costs would we incur should we legalize prostitution..?

That's a good question, and one I doubt there's any hard data on. But I think the primary cost associated with legalization would be enforcement- which must already cost a pretty penny itself. It would seem tax revenues would be enough to cover that particular cost.

There would also be medical expenses, which should be a requirement of the 'business' or 'employees' to provide, not the state.

Any others?

Upvote 0

Brother Cavil

Fac Sapias et Liber Eris
Sep 6, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some women's groups see Prostitutes as victims, and others as workers with rights.

If we choose to view prostitutes as victims, we assume that a crime is being committed. That isn't necessarily the case, since prostitution is an act between mutually consenting adults. Other than the motivation for the act being a direct transfer of cash(vs. say, dinner and a movie), there is no difference between prostitution and any other sex act. And hence, there is no victim.

On the other hand, if we view prostitutes as workers with rights, we can work to improve their personal quality of life through government regulation and aid.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
but regulation entails so much more than just decriminalizing the act, much like how restaurants are regulated to ensure the public health for food comsumption. How would these "legalized" brothels regulate the sex trade?

Upvote 0