the four beasts
a Lamb
the Lamb
harps
golden vials
the seals
a loud voice
the four beasts

John is very clear when a new subject plays a role for the first time in Revelation. He later - adds the definite article. This means - Rev. 8:2 is not the starting point of that set of - the seven angels.

The same logic should work per the following as well then.

Revelation 10:1 And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:

Revelation 18:1 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.

Revelation 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

Revelation 10 and 18 say---- I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven-----I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power----While Revelation 20 says-----And I saw an angel come down from heaven

Therefore the correct chronology of events must be that John first saw an angel come down from heaven per Revelation 20:1----followed by seeing another mighty angel come down from heaven per Revelation 10:1, then seeing another angel come down from heaven, having great power per Revelation 18:1. That means the angel he saw in Revelation 20:1 is a mighty angel as well, and that Revelation 20:1 would need to be understood as having taken place first, chronologically. Do you agree or disagree? That would be using the exact same logic you are using. It would be really strange if you disagreed.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John notes angels by their actions. Some fly, some come down and more. The first angel that was mighty that came down is the one with the book in chapter 5/noted as "strong". The angel that comes down in Rev. 20 was not a mighty angel.
The strong angel in Rev. 5 even looks under the earth for someone that can open the sealed book.

What happened with an angel at the end of Rev. 8?
he flew
after this- others will later be seen as flying

Rev. 8:13
"...heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven..."

Rev. 14:6
"...saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven..."

Yet none of those say John saw an angel come down from heaven. Only the 3 verses I provided say that, where 2 of those verses say another angel came down, while one of them say an angel came down.

Let's look at them again.

Revelation 10:1 And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:

Revelation 18:1 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.

Revelation 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven
And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven

In order for there to be another angel John sees coming down from heaven, it requires that he first see the first one that comes down from heaven. Why would that first angel not be the one in Revelation 20:1?

Revelation 20:1 does not say John saw another angel come down from heaven, like it does in those other 2 passages, it says he saw an angel come down from heaven.

And I saw an angel come down from heaven
And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven
And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven

Why would that not be the correct chronological order?

Upvote 0