Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here's a link to a page showing dozens of ancient languages that all use the word Sabbath (rest) for identifying the seventh day of the week. If the Babylonians had Sabbath as the name of the seventh day and they were in existence before Abraham was given the promise, then this shows that the Sabbath Command was indeed given and kept since creation. There is no other way all these civilisations would have named the seventh day Sabbath (rest) if it wasn't so from the beginning.

http://www.sabbathtruth.com/portals/20/documents/chart-of-the-week.pdf

Proof that the Sabbath was indeed created for mankind and not the Israelites as some wish to think...

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They more than likely were keeping it and it was recording until 1500yrs later. It appears many if the commands of the Torah were being upheld and orally passed down until we start seeing them later in Exodus and Leviticus.

There was sacrifices going on before Leviticus and even Cain knew he was wrong for murdering his brother.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Here's a link to a page showing dozens of ancient languages that all use the word Sabbath (rest) for identifying the seventh day of the week. If the Babylonians had Sabbath as the name of the seventh day and they were in existence before Abraham was given the promise, then this shows that the Sabbath Command was indeed given and kept since creation. There is no other way all these civilisations would have named the seventh day Sabbath (rest) if it wasn't so from the beginning.

http://www.sabbathtruth.com/portals/20/documents/chart-of-the-week.pdf

Proof that the Sabbath was indeed created for mankind and not the Israelites as some wish to think...
Then the sabbath can't be a special issue with Israel as Moses states. The Bible winds again.

29 See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. Ex 16

16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. Ex 31

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the Lord. Lev 25

5 And Moses called all Israel, and said unto them, Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day, that ye may learn them, and keep, and do them.

2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.

3 The Lord made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

4 The Lord talked with you face to face in the mount out of the midst of the fire,

5 (I stood between the Lord and you at that time, to shew you the word of the Lord: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount;) saying,

6 I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

7 Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

11 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee.

15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. Deut 5

bugkiller

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
This proves nothing..... having a day named "sabbath" or anything like it doesn't mean people were "keeping" it just like having a day of the week named "sunday" doesn't mean people are worshiping the sun on that day or thursday similar to thorsday means people are worshiping thor.

As bugkiller said, all your name games doesn't prove anyone was keeping any day till Moses time, nor does it mean anyone was bound to "keep" any day nor does it mean it was sinful to not keep a day. We can see in the bible only Israel was held accountable to keep the Sabbath if it were true people were "keeping" it just as Israel didn't know to keep a Sabbath till God told them to with the manna and then didn't know to keep it till commanded this logically makes one conclude that "keeping" a day with similar name to sabbath wasn't being done at all as the bible equates people of Israel as CLUELESS.

In other words just another lame distraction to prey on people with no logical sense IMO one would think God is still keeping an endless day today stuck on the Sabbath Day but guess what God didn't "keep" the Sabbath but he rested and said it was done just as Jesus rested on the cross from a lifetime of "works" (keeping Sabbaths) and said.... "it is done".

Upvote 0

jason1

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
✟568.00
In other words just another lame distraction to prey on people with no logical sense IMO one would think God is still keeping an endless day today stuck on the Sabbath Day but guess what God didn't "keep" the Sabbath but he rested and said it was done just as Jesus rested on the cross from a lifetime of "works" (keeping Sabbaths) and said.... "it is done".

You think this is logical sense? lol :scratch:

Jesus saying "It is finished" has nothing whatsoever to do with the sabbath or the law in general. If he came to do away with any law he would have been disqualified as being the messiah and would have died for nothing.

The sabbath is from the very beginning and will continue to the very end. It is the test of whom we worship and follow and of those who are His (as well as keeping all the law).

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
You think this is logical sense? lol :scratch:

Jesus saying "It is finished" has nothing whatsoever to do with the sabbath or the law in general. If he came to do away with any law he would have been disqualified as being the messiah and would have died for nothing.

The sabbath is from the very beginning and will continue to the very end. It is the test of whom we worship and follow and of those who are His (as well as keeping all the law).
Tell me then what was finished? If we still have to keep the Law as usual else we forfeit our salvation then what did Jesus do on the cross? Nothing?

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

jason1

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
✟568.00
What was finished was all he had to go through to redeem us. What he die was to redeem us. Why we need him is for redemption!

What does that word mean? It means to buy back something. The northern kingdom whored with other gods and got divorced. The law states that the first husband cannot remarry his wife if she goes and marries another. Jesus came for "the lost sheep of the house of israel" by his own words. He came to die to that law I just spoke about and be able to retake her back. Romans 7 speaks all about this.

Why do we continue to keep the law? Because it is the terms of the covenant (old and new). We keep it out of love (if you love me, keep my commandments). We keep it because it is the way, the truth and the life. We keep it because it is the only path to him (not redemption, but salvation). We keep it because it shows who we believe (You are servants of him whom you obey). We keep it to be set apart. We keep it to be blessed. We keep it to be justified (James 2:24). We keep it to be part of the remnant (Rev 14:12). We keep it because HE TOLD US TO.

Tell me, which law so offends you?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
What was finished was all he had to go through to redeem us. What he die was to redeem us. Why we need him is for redemption!

What does that word mean? It means to buy back something. The northern kingdom whored with other gods and got divorced. The law states that the first husband cannot remarry his wife if she goes and marries another. Jesus came for "the lost sheep of the house of israel" by his own words. He came to die to that law I just spoke about and be able to retake her back. Romans 7 speaks all about this.

Why do we continue to keep the law? Because it is the terms of the covenant (old and new). We keep it out of love (if you love me, keep my commandments). We keep it because it is the way, the truth and the life. We keep it because it is the only path to him (not redemption, but salvation). We keep it because it shows who we believe (You are servants of him whom you obey). We keep it to be set apart. We keep it to be blessed. We keep it to be justified (James 2:24). We keep it to be part of the remnant (Rev 14:12). We keep it because HE TOLD US TO.

Tell me, which law so offends you?
For what reason do we need to be redeemed? Is it because we broke the Law? If one breaks the Law after they are redeemed then one must be redeemed yet again?

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

jason1

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
✟568.00
Heb 10:26 For if we sin purposely after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a slaughter offering for sins.
Heb 10:27 but some fearsome anticipation of judgment, and a fierce fire which is about to consume the opponents.
Heb 10:28 Anyone who has disregarded the Torah of Mosheh dies without compassion on the witness of two or three witnesses.
Heb 10:29 How much worse punishment do you think shall he deserve who has trampled the Son of Elohim underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was set apart as common, and insulted the Spirit of favour?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Heb 10:26 For if we sin purposely after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a slaughter offering for sins.
Heb 10:27 but some fearsome anticipation of judgment, and a fierce fire which is about to consume the opponents.
Heb 10:28 Anyone who has disregarded the Torah of Mosheh dies without compassion on the witness of two or three witnesses.
Heb 10:29 How much worse punishment do you think shall he deserve who has trampled the Son of Elohim underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was set apart as common, and insulted the Spirit of favour?
This example is for those who choose the Law over Jesus..... read it again as God needs no witnesses to condemn anyone only the Law of Moses needs them. In verse 28 it equates the Law.... vs 29 compares Law vs Grace and proclaims it is even worse to reject Grace for the Law or choose the Old over the New.

Upvote 0

jason1

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
✟568.00
Only 1 definition of sin:
1 John 3:4 (KJV)
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

So how is it possible that people like Sophrosyne can twist things that the law is done away with? Is it because Jesus magically created a new law that is mostly arbitrary and opposed the the Creator's laws? How does that make any sense? They even call him a sinner. How can they have a perfect lamb who goes about sinning openly and they think that there is no problems with this theology?

Think it through people!!

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how is it possible that people like Sophrosyne can twist things that the law is done away with? Is it because Jesus magically created a new law that is mostly arbitrary and opposed the the Creator's laws? How does that make any sense? They even call him a sinner. How can they have a perfect lamb who goes about sinning openly and they think that there is no problems with this theology?

Think it through people!!

Make me scratch my head too!!

Kinda reminds me of my thread 1 year ago:
Modern day Christianity doesnt believe its own Theology

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟665,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath before the Israelite theory is a bunch of bologna, but for fun lets say it is true. What does that have anything to do with Christians today? The law given to Israel is history and if there was a law directing mankind to observance God has allowed it to perish and no one can prove otherwise. Speculation doesn't win in the court of law.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting to see no comments on such a bold claim... although I couldn't imagine a valid argument against it.
I think you're looking for a fight were none exists. If the Babylonian's holy day was the 7th day of the week, um, well good for them, I guess? You planning on converting to Babylonian polytheism?

Upvote 0

jason1

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
✟568.00
The Sabbath before the Israelite theory is a bunch of bologna, but for fun lets say it is true. What does that have anything to do with Christians today? The law given to Israel is history and if there was a law directing mankind to observance God has allowed it to perish and no one can prove otherwise. Speculation doesn't win in the court of law.

Bob, it is true you don't have to keep the sabbath or the law, but that's only if you want to stay a gentile (those outside of the covenant, aka dog), not be part of the kingdom, and serve other false gods.

If you want to serve the Creator of the universe, then you will keep the sabbath since that is one of the key signs of who you worship (ex 31:13). You will also keep that law as it is written:

Deu_8:3 “And He humbled you, and let you suffer hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, to make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but by every Word that comes from the mouth of יהוה

Mat_4:4 But He answering, said, “It has been written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of יהוה.’

On top of that, you must join yourself to Israel to be part of the covenant and thus the promises: Rom 11

Rom 3:31 Do we then nullify the Torah through the belief? Let it not be! On the contrary, we establish the Torah. (Is Paul crazy here or did you just read him wrong?)

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Tell me then what was finished? If we still have to keep the Law as usual else we forfeit our salvation then what did Jesus do on the cross? Nothing?
When Jesus said, "it is finished" and the curtain was torn in two, it put an end to the earthly sanctuary service. Animl sacrifices were no longer needed nor regarded as Christ had fulfilled the type with His once and for all sacrifice.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think you're looking for a fight were none exists. If the Babylonian's holy day was the 7th day of the week, um, well good for them, I guess? You planning on converting to Babylonian polytheism?
You are conveniently side stepping the fact that ALL the ancient civilisations used the word Sabbath for the seventh day... I suppose this was just a weird and unexplainable coincidence?

Upvote 0