• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Docbrown1985

Aug 26, 2021
Las Vegas
✟29,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I feel like this is a good place to post since I’m pretty sure I have OCD. I’ve never been diagnosed but I’ve dealt with symptoms my whole life.

Anyways my topic has more to do with a different subject but OCD definitely makes it worse for me. I have seen many verses in the Bible pertaining to promises/vows to god and I am scared that I have to keep foolish ones I have made.

I am afraid I have made promises that involve me doing things I don’t want to do, that don’t really serve a purpose, like telling people intrusive thoughts I get which I don’t want to do.

It doesn’t seem logical that I’d have to keep foolish or nonsensical vows but the Bible doesn’t seem to assure me. I feel like my ocd makes my anxiety worse about the subject but it’s hard to shake off with the Bible seemingly against me.

do we have to keep every single promise we make? Ones that are always in our power to fulfill? Or can we forget about it?

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I feel like this is a good place to post since I’m pretty sure I have OCD. I’ve never been diagnosed but I’ve dealt with symptoms my whole life.

Anyways my topic has more to do with a different subject but OCD definitely makes it worse for me. I have seen many verses in the Bible pertaining to promises/vows to god and I am scared that I have to keep foolish ones I have made.

I am afraid I have made promises that involve me doing things I don’t want to do, that don’t really serve a purpose, like telling people intrusive thoughts I get which I don’t want to do.

It doesn’t seem logical that I’d have to keep foolish or nonsensical vows but the Bible doesn’t seem to assure me. I feel like my ocd makes my anxiety worse about the subject but it’s hard to shake off with the Bible seemingly against me.

do we have to keep every single promise we make? Ones that are always in our power to fulfill? Or can we forget about it?
Just remember that God knows your heart and He knows everything about you. Jesus loves you and He knows the difference between a real thought and an ocd thought. God bless you

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
have OCD. I’ve never been diagnosed but I’ve dealt with symptoms my whole life.

Get diagnosed, get help with any ocd symptons .
there is a good free on line guide for ocd, it presumes that you are getting help.
link: 25 tips for treating your ocd.

Read it several times, discuss it with your parents/partner/close friends and minister.

If you do have ocd they will need to know how to help you.

Re foolish vows etc, read several times what it says about intrusive thoughts and learn from it.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This is a very common obsession for people with OCD! I've had a mild version of it before. Do you have support for treating your OCD?

Upvote 0