Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The problem for Obama is that his predictions were not only wrong; they were terribly wide of the mark. For example, since the president was sworn in, America has suffered a net decline of roughly half a million jobs. According to a study by the Kaiser Family Foundation, the average annual premium for family health coverage through an employer reached $15,073 in 2011—an increase of 9 percent, or $1,303, over the previous year. The 9 percent increase in family premiums between 2010 and 2011 followed an increase of 3 percent between 2009 and 2010. Under Obama, the number of foreclosures was the worst in history. In addition, last year was the worst sales year on record for housing, while home values are nearly 35 percent lower than they were five years ago.

Promises, Promises | The Weekly Standard

I know someone'll post a link to the pseudo-fact checker politifacts, but the facts are there to exam for yourself. This man has not kept his promises.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
IOW, the ones that you agree with your position.^_^

Not at all. I've changed my position on many things over the years, mostly because of facts and other arguments I've heard. But I want the whole truth, not the truth twisted and shaped to fit a narrative.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Promises, Promises | The Weekly Standard

I know someone'll post a link to the pseudo-fact checker politifacts, but the facts are there to exam for yourself. This man has not kept his promises.
Well ... alright, I chose not to post this earlier ... for fear of de-railing the thread. Not sure why I even gave that a thought. :doh:

The facts about Politifact speak for themselves of its biases ... PolitiFact.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PolitiFact's Lie of the Year for 2011 was a statement by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) that a 2011 budget proposal by Congressman Paul Ryan, entitled The Path to Prosperity and voted for overwhelmingly by Republicans in the House and Senate, meant that "Republicans voted to end Medicare." PolitiFact argued that, though the Republican plan would make significant changes to Medicare, it would not end it. This choice caused a great deal of controversy. PolitiFact had originally labeled this statement a "pants on fire" lie in April 2011; this assertion was criticized at the time by left-wing blogs including the Daily Kos, Talking Points Memo and Firedoglake. After it was named the Lie of the Year, the choice was criticized by commentators including Paul Krugman, who wrote that the DCCC statement was true and was chosen only because PolitiFact, having criticized conservatives in the two previous years, had "bent over backwards to appear 'balanced'"; Steve Benen, who called the decision "credibility-killing"; Jonathan Chait, who called PolitiFact a "shoddy, not-very-smart group"; and David Weigel. The choice was also criticized by conservative commentators, such as Taranto and Ramesh Ponnuru, who called the DCCC statement incorrect but a matter of opinion, not a lie. Three days after publishing their 2011 Lie of the Year choice, PolitiFact acknowledged that reader responses to the selection were almost entirely negative, saying, "Of roughly 1,500 e-mails we received, nearly all criticized our choice."
Even with their "lie of the year", Politifact can't get enough straight for it to be unassailable by either side. Just weird ...

Best answer I've got is that Politifact doesn't really understand the difference between FACT and opinion.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Well ... alright, I chose not to post this earlier ... for fear of de-railing the thread. Not sure why I even gave that a thought. :doh:

The facts about Politifact speak for themselves of its biases ... PolitiFact.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PolitiFact's Lie of the Year for 2011 was a statement by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) that a 2011 budget proposal by Congressman Paul Ryan, entitled The Path to Prosperity and voted for overwhelmingly by Republicans in the House and Senate, meant that "Republicans voted to end Medicare." PolitiFact argued that, though the Republican plan would make significant changes to Medicare, it would not end it. This choice caused a great deal of controversy. PolitiFact had originally labeled this statement a "pants on fire" lie in April 2011; this assertion was criticized at the time by left-wing blogs including the Daily Kos, Talking Points Memo and Firedoglake. After it was named the Lie of the Year, the choice was criticized by commentators including Paul Krugman, who wrote that the DCCC statement was true and was chosen only because PolitiFact, having criticized conservatives in the two previous years, had "bent over backwards to appear 'balanced'"; Steve Benen, who called the decision "credibility-killing"; Jonathan Chait, who called PolitiFact a "shoddy, not-very-smart group"; and David Weigel. The choice was also criticized by conservative commentators, such as Taranto and Ramesh Ponnuru, who called the DCCC statement incorrect but a matter of opinion, not a lie. Three days after publishing their 2011 Lie of the Year choice, PolitiFact acknowledged that reader responses to the selection were almost entirely negative, saying, "Of roughly 1,500 e-mails we received, nearly all criticized our choice."
Even with their "lie of the year", Politifact can't get enough straight for it to be unassailable by either side. Just weird ...

Best answer I've got is that Politifact doesn't really understand the difference between FACT and opinion.
Why do folks on this site continue to use Wikipedia as the end all source? it is fallible from the start in that it is nothing more than user content. Anyone with an agenda from any side can skew it. Sure, it is a place to go to start a search on a topic, but to present it as the truth? Do some more research. Please. For your own credibility and the sake of presenting actual facts.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The fact that Ryan's plan was not an "end to Medicare" is not an opinion. Therefore the statement was not true. One might argue whether it deserved the "whopper of the year", but the DCCC statement was not true.

No "objective" attempt at presenting facts is going to be "unassailed", because politicians don't like to get their oxes gored. And Politifact clearly states they analyze, which is the best one can do with some of the complex issues.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married

Hey, as long as the wiki article isn't in dispute, use it...right?
^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Between Politifact and Weekly Standard (which brags about being "Conservative Intelligence")? Politifact. Even Cheney touted FactCheck.

And Cheney does not suffer fools lightly.

Upvote 0

rivertree

Teach me to speak the truth in love.
Jun 18, 2012
✟15,502.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have reached the point in this country where we cannot communicate well about and agree whether someting might be a fact or not.

There is no condemation in that statement to anyone, it just hurts, you know?

Truth, we need it so much truth in every little corner. Am I paranoid, or are we being bombarded by demonic-seeming tainting of truth everywhere? Maybe it's just because I'm old, and while we had some of the same problems years ago, it didn't seem so complicated.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have reached the point in this country where we cannot communicate well about and agree whether someting might be a fact or not.

Truth, we need it so much truth in every little corner. Am I paranoid, or are we being bombarded by demonic-seeming tainting of truth everywhere? Maybe it's just because I'm old, and while we had some of the same problems years ago, it didn't seem so complicated.

Blame the internet and digital cable. We are bombarded with useless information.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married

It does hurt. You're right. This is why I make a mighty effort to not allow myself to get dragged down into the bickering.

Blame the internet and digital cable. We are bombarded with useless information.
That too. I'm still on the 'net daily, but I have been blissfully without cable for more than six months.

I'd almost pay not to have it!!
^_^

Upvote 0