profanity in games.

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Modding. You are talking about specific games for computers. Generally those games that the developers allow you to mod have large online communitys.

Unless you are into- trying to figure out how to mod or alter sound files are not worth your time if all you want to do is get rid of the swearing.

Upvote 0

ironfistchamp

Jun 7, 2008
Suffolk, UK
✟7,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'd never really thought about profanity in games. I suppose I am so used to hearing these words that I don't pay attention to them. It some circles (public schools nowadays) swearing is almost like punctuation!

I can't imagine it would be very easy to mod the audio files of most games, at least not without breaking the EULA. I suppose doing it to your own game wouldn't matter, but you definitely wouldn't be legally allowed to distribute those modded files, at least that is my understanding.

A favourite game of mine is Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion. One of the interesting things in that game is that they use their own (or what I would assume to be their own) swears. Perfectly intense, but nowhere near as offensive as the more common words!

I've always been interested in swearing (not because it offends people or makes me look "cool"). The English language, well language in general is incredible. From a spiritual point of view I can understand that profanity is sinful, but what defines profanity. Does it only count for words that are currently offensive, or does it stretch to old words that, in their time were horrible, but now just seem quaint and harmless? What about when words that are offensive now, weren't? So confusing!

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

I would of thought that if the language is bothering you its probably best not to play the game.

Although I'm finding this discussion to be quite an interesting highlight of the way we worry more about language (with definitions changing daily) as opposed to the content of shooting each other in the face (which is going to be pretty bad until immortality comes back)

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
:preach:Such games that have profanity in them should be avoided. In the Bible, filthy language is one of the things that should be avoided at all costs. It is regarded, more or less, as a sin;playing such games corrupts our minds and before you know it you will be cursing just like those characters in the games. When choosing the games you play always be cautious and discriminative of games that have profanity, some form of nudity and violence. It might be difficult to stay away from such games but it is for your own good. Remember, we are NOT supposed to conform to the patterns of this world but be transformed in the renewing of our minds. Let has have the mind of Christ when choosing the games we play. Most Sport-related games are good but not all of them. May God help us to make the right decisions:prayer: .
"Filthy language" is NOT a sin when used in a reasonable context.

Please back up your unsubstantiated claim with some... substance. Unless you're just trolling. Trolling is bad, unless you're fishing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Startrekker

Aug 19, 2008
✟15,125.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
You want to remove language from games,I did not you were a christian Mr. Jack Thompson.
What the **** is the point of removing language from a game?
What are you twelve..O WAIT not even twelve year olds care about swearing,No child is gonna go screaming to their mother after hearing a big bad word on a big bad game.
While your at it maybe you would like to put some colourful Images in the game and replace all monster's/enemies with Pokemon.

Upvote 0

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
You want to remove language from games,I did not you were a christian Mr. Jack Thompson.
What the **** is the point of removing language from a game?
What are you twelve..O WAIT not even twelve year olds care about swearing,No child is gonna go screaming to their mother after hearing a big bad word on a big bad game.

Actually, after reading a couple of your posts, I would have to conclude that either you are the twelve year old or you are just extremely immature. Indeed, all your argument fail to even recognize points of view besides your own, most of your posts just come across as rants, and many of your posts seem to throw in a personal insult to anyone who disagrees with you.

While your at it maybe you would like to put some colourful Images in the game and replace all monster's/enemies with Pokemon.

pk2.JPG

Reactions: * kittie *
Upvote 0

Startrekker

Aug 19, 2008
✟15,125.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
No I am not twelve,But after you post I am forced to believe you are.
What different points of view could I look at,Any human being who is so offended by Swearing is pathetic.
No curse word is going to raise demons to feast upon newborn babies, Kay?
Swearing does not hurt anyone and If you are that offending with swearing In games just DO NOT PLAY THEM.

Upvote 0

mrpiddly

May 27, 2007
✟16,409.00
Faith
Atheist
No I am not twelve,But after you post I am forced to believe you are.
What different points of view could I look at,Any human being who is so offended by Swearing is pathetic.
No curse word is going to raise demons to feast upon newborn babies, Kay?
Swearing does not hurt anyone and If you are that offending with swearing In games just DO NOT PLAY THEM.

Thank you for once again proving all of my previously mentioned claims.

(BTW, I have no problem with swearing in games but I can still understand why some other moral people would be offended by it.)

Upvote 0