Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article ( I hope you have access) describes a three step process of accepting loss.
"(1) comprehension (i.e., recognition that the loss has occurred),
(2) creative adaptation (i.e., experimentation with alternatives for living without what was lost and creation of new adaptive responses); and
(3) reintegration (i.e., consolidation of a revised self-concept that incorporates a future without whatever is lost).

We suggest that successful adjustment is generally progressive with the primary direction of movement from comprehension to creative adaptation to reintegration."

Reactions: Paidiske

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few years ago I discovered a narrative approach to spiritual care. My thanks to Simon Lasair for that.

Most of the articles require payment or membership in something Like Sage. But let me share a bit:

"The main reality needing to be addressed in this approach to spirituality, however, is that every narrative has a narrator (Bal, 2009; Ricoeur, 1991, 1992). In most models of spiritual care, it is assumed that the spiritual care client will be the one telling their own story (cf. e.g., Doehring, 2015; Scheib, 2016). Specific techniques, like Rogerian active listening, or the externalizing questions of Narrative Therapy, are often used by spiritual care practitioners to elicit narrative information and to intervene when areas of problem or emotional disturbance are uncovered in the client’s storytelling (cf. e.g., Gerkin, 1984, 1986; Lasair, 2017; Madigan, 2011; Zimmerman, 2018). However, within the narrative approach herein, Narrative Empowerment is the goal of all the spiritual care practitioner’s interventions

"Drawing some concepts from literary criticism, this model presumes that each person is the first-person narrator of their own life’s-story (cf. e.g., Bal, 2009; Lasair, 2017). As a result, any person’s empowerment to tell their story in as fulsome a way as possible, neither avoiding nor negating areas of problem or disturbance, will consequently empower them to address any areas of problem or disturbance in all domains of their life—body, mind, spirit, and culture (Madigan, 2011; Zimmerman, 2018; Lasair, forthcoming).

"Drawing again upon the concepts of literary criticism, the goal here is to assist the client in becoming as omniscient a narrator as possible with regard to their own life’s narrative (Bal, 2009; Lasair, forthcoming).

"The goal of all these discussions is to identify why and how engaging clients at a spiritual level can improve their functioning in all domains of life, not just within the traditional contexts where spiritual care practitioners have been employed: healthcare, corrections, and armed services

"In this way, then, a client becomes Empowered to move into the future: They can account for all domains of their life—body, mind, spirit, and culture. They can also choose what meanings they assign to their life and consequently decide how best to live their narrative through their pursuit of their moral aims, their active consideration of their moral self-judgments, and their constant building of their metaphysical vision. Awareness, Openness, and Wisdom are the concrete components of such Empowerment, with the work of narrative spiritual care practitioners being oriented toward growing each of these in the lives of their clients."

I am sorry of the article is not available to you. i am not sure how I ever got access but I am so glad I did.

PM me if you would like an attachment.

Upvote 0