• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One final warning. I'm extremely dubious of private run "mental health" operations. These "for profit" businesses are only concerned about making money. After you or your family member have exhausted every penny of your insurance coverage, you'll be pronounced mentally "stable" and be kicked to the curb.

The only treatment I received (in house) in private mental health centers was confined to one hour "group therapy" sessions of nearly a dozen patients twice a week. The rest of the time was spent swimming in the pool, watching t.v. and playing monopoly.

I found in group therapy setting, it's easier to hide your real state of mind and just agree with everyone else how wonderful you feel and how well the medications are working.. You only hear the bad stuff during the smoke breaks outside. Lol.

We are by nature herd animals, and studies have shown people in groups will usually conform to the opinions expressed by the majority, even though they don't agree with what is being said.

In the last private run mental health facility I stayed in, out of the ten patients in my group who were declared "stable" and discharged when their insurance ran out.. two committed suicide within days of being released. That's 20 %, right ?

I didn't receive any one on one psychotherapy until after my suicide attempt, which landed me in a court mandated one year "county" program.

So if any of you have a family member in a "for profit-private" mental health facility, I would say there is a high probability they are receiving no help whatsoever, and about a 1 in 5 chance of a worse case outcome. You're better off placing them in a state, or county facility where at least some real psychiatric work is being accomplished.

That's my experience anyways.

Upvote 0