Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I stumbled upon a remarkable video featuring Monsignor Giacomo Pappalardo, a member of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints. In this interview with “Bel tempo si spera” on TV200it, he shares a serendipitous encounter with the Servant of God Don Dolindo Ruotolo, an Italian priest who died on November 19, 1970. This fateful meeting took place in 1997 – 27 years after Don Dolindo’s passing.

As Monsignor Pappalardo recalls, it was a Sunday morning in 1997 when he arrived slightly late to celebrate Mass at the quaint church of San Pasquale in Chiaia, Naples. Rushing through the sacristy, he noticed an elderly priest seated behind the altar, intently focused on a booklet and bag of stones in his hands. Intrigued by this eccentric figure, Monsignor Pappalardo asked if he could hear his confession before Mass.

With a chuckle, the priest replied, “But my little angel, isn’t it a bit late?” When Monsignor Pappalardo explained he worked at the Congregation for the Causes of Saints in Rome, the old man’s eyes widened in surprise. “The Congregation for the Causes of Saints? Are you going to make me a saint?” he exclaimed lightheartedly. “Well, there is one small detail,” Monsignor Pappalardo joked back. “To be proclaimed a saint, you first have to be dead and in heaven!”

They shared a laugh, but Monsignor Pappalardo had to rush off to celebrate Mass. When he returned, the amusing priest had vanished without a trace. No one at the church knew who he was.

Continued below.