• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Preventative Care

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by somuchjoy, Aug 20, 2019.

1. somuchjoy

somuchjoy New Member

+35
    United States
    Baptist
    Divorced
    I have worked in a hospital for going on 10 years. I never have given preventative care much thought. Yesterday, I heard a couple of ladies talking in the waiting room. One was talking about how she had preventative appointments coming up (mammogram, gynecology, colonoscopy, etc). The other lady said she would never have any of that done, as they are all sins and many tests are immoral. Thoughts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,661
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    I think the other lady is wrong. Modesty when it comes to health check-ups doesn't apply, and if she has enough of a concern, she go with a female doctor instead of male.

3. Chadrho

Chadrho exercises by pushing his luck Supporter

+342
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Interesting. I wonder if she considers preventative care a lack of faith. At any rate, I would consider it prudent, not sinful.

4. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❣️ His little lady ❣️ Supporter

+3,895
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I think the absence of preventive care is irresponsible. It places a hardship on my family for medical care, dishonors my temple, and reduces my effectiveness for the Lord.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,142
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    that "other lady" has been sold a bill of (im)moral goods. She has been subjected to a belief system based on legalism rather than faith and true obedience. Now she seeks to subject others to it as well.

That is always a problem with legalism - you have to make everyone else "tow the line" as well.

6. somuchjoy

somuchjoy New Member

+35
    United States
    Baptist
    Divorced
    I was pretty shocked. I don't think I had ever heard this before. And the lady against preventative care kind of spoke down to the other, because she was going through with her appointments. Craziest thing I have heard in a while.

7. jamesbond007

jamesbond007 Well-Known Member

+204
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Possibly this woman believes in the Christian science cult set forth by Mary Baker Eddy. It does not sound like good medical advice.

8. Acts2:38

Acts2:38 Well-Known Member

+589
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There is nothing in scripture to denounce preventative care. If you were to ask her where in scripture does it prove her standpoint in this belief, she would probably fumble around desperately for verses or just dismiss you totally.