✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, did anyone watch it?
I have it saved on my computer, I've only watched 54 minutes of it so far. My biggest irritation is that she looks too severe. A woman in the ministry ought to look proud of being a woman, rather than dressing like a man, IMO.

Reactions: Adammi
Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have it saved on my computer, I've only watched 54 minutes of it so far. My biggest irritation is that she looks too severe. A woman in the ministry ought to look proud of being a woman, rather than dressing like a man, IMO.
:o So exactly how do you think a woman should look if she is to look proud of being a woman? Would you have been less irritated if she had worn a skirt?

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
you can still hear it if you click on the link; I'm listening to it right now. I've not downloaded it, I'm just listening to the streamed version.

One thing she said that bothers me is that she feels the problem lies in the differing views of scriptural authority.
I would have thought it was more to do with differing interpretations. But if she feels that scriptural authority is up for debate, I disagree wholeheartedly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
:o So exactly how do you think a woman should look if she is to look proud of being a woman? Would you have been less irritated if she had worn a skirt?
I would be less irritated if she let her hair grow out. Frankly she looks bad on TV to me. Mostly this is media-centric, rather than personal. Her voice is sure, her idea's firm, but her whole look screams: "I feel like I'm doing the job of a man."
Now, I firmly believe that she is doing the job God has called her to--regardless of her Gender--and that look just doesn't help her. I believe in women in the ministry because I believe Scripture teaches that women should be in the ministry, not because of equal rights. There is a different between joint calling and equal rights. No-one has a right to the ministry, some have a calling.

Timothy

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WELL...as my Lutheran friends have always said...it's weither or not you believe that the Bible is the inerrent (I know that's not spelled right but I hope it's close enough) word of GOD...or weither it just contains the word of GOD...that's actually a pretty big distinction...I'll have to listin to it later on today...can't do it here at work....

Upvote 0

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would be less irritated if she let her hair grow out. Frankly she looks bad on TV to me. Mostly this is media-centric, rather than personal. Her voice is sure, her idea's firm, but her whole look screams: "I feel like I'm doing the job of a man."
Now, I firmly believe that she is doing the job God has called her to--regardless of her Gender--and that look just doesn't help her. I believe in women in the ministry because I believe Scripture teaches that women should be in the ministry, not because of equal rights. There is a different between joint calling and equal rights. No-one has a right to the ministry, some have a calling.

Timothy
I haven't had a chance to catch it -- is it long? I'll try to listen later today or over the weekend, been so freakin' busy lately.

Timothy, I don't know what to say to your concerns about the PB's appearance other than it seems to reflect our society's need to place a lot of importance on people's looks. Is that right or wrong? I would hope that we would be able to listen to people's ideas and see them as beautiful people of God regardless of their looks, but I guess the animal instinct in us to judge people by their looks still lingers no matter how high-minded we think we've become.

There also seems to be some gender stuff in what you're saying, what looks "womanly" and what looks "manly" -- and that's a whole other debate as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Timothy, I don't know what to say to your concerns about the PB's appearance other than it seems to reflect our society's need to place a lot of importance on people's looks. Is that right or wrong? I would hope that we would be able to listen to people's ideas and see them as beautiful people of God regardless of their looks, but I guess the animal instinct in us to judge people by their looks still lingers no matter how high-minded we think we've become.

Well, frankly, I'm talking from a media perspective. Image is very important in the media. I liked a lot of what she was saying, and was therefore disappointed that her image seemed insecure. Her image cries out 'I wish I was a man' rather than 'I'm secure in my calling as a female PB'

Timothy

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
You know, I have to say, I've been horrified at all the remarks I've heard regarding ++KJS's personal appearance over the past several months. I don't think I've ever heard the personal appearance of a male bishop discussed in such a banner.

I'm just gobsmacked at how inappropriate it seems. And this is kind of a hot-button issue for me.

What on earth does it mean to be 'proud to be a woman', and what a silly thing to be proud of! Long hair? Visible make-up? Skirts? High heels?

In the professional world, women with shorter hair are typically taken more seriously - it's seen as more professional, less frivilous. Something tells me that if the PB wore skirts and heels and a more high-maintenance hairstyle, there would be people who would claim she looked like a bimbo or something.

I've had short hair, I've had long hair, and I even had a shaved head, once - when a good friend's little girl lost her hair due to chemo, we shaved our heads in solidarity, so that blessed child wouldn't feel so alone, so ugly. I'd certainly hate to think that someone might have looked at me then and decided I didn't look proud to be a woman.

Sorry, just a bit of a hot button issue for me . . .

Upvote 0

Finella

Veteran
Feb 27, 2004
PA
✟17,732.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know another thread has been started on the topic, but I had to share...

A woman priest I know while growing up was very, well, "womanly" -- tailored designer skirts and blazers, and manicured nails, perfect hair. A real New York woman. And she was criticized for being too focused on her appearance. You can't win for trying.

And more OT: I caught most of the PB's opening remarks, and I like most of what she said... but I'll have to listen to the Q&A part yet.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.