Prepper food

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mormons have a thing where they are supposed to keep enough food to last them for a full year. So, it would make sense if a commercial MRE were manufactured in Utah, because I guess you would need a fairly large kitchen to stock all of that food, otherwise, and rotating stock would be pretty boring.

But just because they were made in Utah doesn't mean that you are supporting Mormons. Isn't it just as likely that they are junk MRE's made for scamming Mormons?
I think Mormons can their own food in mason jars, which makes sense - you can do it with stuff like beef stew, and it’s in glass jars so keeps for years with no metal taste when it gets old.

• Informative
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Back in the day when I lived off the grid, we canned meat in the pressure cooker using typical canning jars. We used it up over the course of the year. It was a great way to take care of some spare goats and hard to tell the meat from beef. Canned both chunks and ground meat. Also canned spare milk, which turned out a lot like, well, canned milk.
A lot of people still do that. Youtube has a lot of videos showing the process. But be careful to keep the seal on the jars... if the seal breaks, essentially you have a jar of dead, rotting meat.:sick:

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wouldn’t purchase freeze dried food for long-term storage and dissuaded a loved one from doing so. It’s laden with things I wouldn’t eat under normal conditions. Let alone for survival. I’d prepare my own instead.

I’ve researched freeze dryers and I’m impressed with the ways they can be used. I follow several homesteading bloggers who have one and I like what I’ve seen thus far.

They’re ideal for those with a homestead or who want to purchase in bulk. And its less labor intensive than canning and the flavor retention is better. A win/win for seniors, singles, and those with disabilities.

Mormons produce helpful literature that’s a good starting point. But you needn’t follow it to the letter. Thinking outside the box is usually best.

~bella

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah! somebody answered.
From what I understand, Mormons can their own food, the kind using Bell jars, and I think you can can anything you want, like homemade beef stew with lots of meat, and it will last for years - and the glass bell jars don’t taste like metal.

• Agree
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

BravoM

Jun 18, 2022
TN
✟2,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
MREs are not as good as you think.
I ate plenty while in the Army and taste is subjective. They call come with salt, pepper, and hot sauce for reasons.
They have a short shelf life vs other kinds and types of food.
You can eat many foods past the Best By and Use By date. The dates are given by the manufacturer based on their optimal quality date but don't magically go back the day or even a year after unless stored incorrectly.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MREs are not as good as you think.
I ate plenty while in the Army and taste is subjective. They call come with salt, pepper, and hot sauce for reasons.
They have a short shelf life vs other kinds and types of food.
You can eat many foods past the Best By and Use By date. The dates are given by the manufacturer based on their optimal quality date but don't magically go back the day or even a year after unless stored incorrectly.
We bought a box of MREs "taco meat" a few years back. Not to bad. The wife does not l like them. I open one once in a while and make a wrap with some pinto beans. Pretty strong flavor but in a pinch, they would suffice.

• Agree
Reactions: BravoM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BravoM

Jun 18, 2022
TN
✟2,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have a case I got for $5 a few years back. They are stored in a cool, dark place. I had another from some singles I have and they are good.
I wouldn't buy any now unless you could get them for low prices. Money is best spent on foods that will last longer.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Friend said you can bake 6 loaves from 5 lb flour which costs about $2.30 at this point.

Going to try a no-knead bread recipe when it's not so hot.

In the "Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery, she stated the percentage of foods she added to the dough. She would include leftovers, fruits and vegetables. But have to consider the moisture that some foods like mushrooms contain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
MREs are not as good as you think. I ate plenty while in the Army and taste is subjective. They call come with salt, pepper, and hot sauce for reasons.

I agree. I saw the ingredients and organic options are more expensive. The same holds true for survival food kits. That's why I bought a freeze dryer instead.

• Agree
Reactions: BravoM
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. I saw the ingredients and organic options are more expensive. The same holds true for survival food kits. That's why I bought a freeze dryer instead.
Would love to get a freeze dryer. We are waiting for the price to come down a bit. We even thought about suggesting that like-minded church members go in together to get one. But since the process can take up to 24 hours, it would be hard to share it out. Still thinking about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
neighbor said we have too many tomato plants

however, I eat tomatoes daily in my salad & on sandwiches
we planted cherry & plum
You can always dehydrate or can them. We tend to like to make salsa.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would love to get a freeze dryer. We are waiting for the price to come down a bit. We even thought about suggesting that like-minded church members go in together to get one. But since the process can take up to 24 hours, it would be hard to share it out. Still thinking about this.

The prices went up. They were lower around the holidays last year. You can put it on layaway and make payments. It locks in the price. The machine is heavy. You wouldn't want to transport it to different locations. The only way to recoup the expense is to charge them. You could do a flat rate per day.

• Useful
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0