Predestination

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jesus even told them to escape the wrath to come speaking of Jerusalem's destruction.
CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT of what Acts 2 is all about. Sorry but obviously you reject such. No mention whatsoever of Jerusalem as the theme but I see why you're so desperate to make it be such.

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.”

All talking about a spiritual theme!

And they DID save themselves! See the next verse!

Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. Acts 2: 38-41

• Agree
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT of what Acts 2 is all about. Sorry but obviously you reject such. No mention whatsoever of Jerusalem as the theme but I see why you're so desperate to make it be such.

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.”

All talking about a spiritual theme!

And they DID save themselves! See the next verse!

Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. Acts 2: 38-41
This corrupt generation was doomed. And people needed to separate from them. Which rhwy did when they saw the abomination of desolation.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jesus even told them to escape the wrath to come speaking of Jerusalem's destruction.

Well I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this issue. I personally think you down right know however that your position on Act 2 when Peter said said "“Save yourselves from this corrupt generation" to say that's in reference to Jerusalem and 70 AD I think you know that's very, very weak. You just can't stand by to have any Apostle declare save yourself and repent which the next verse says they did. To accept that is to accept Calvinistic thinking is blown right out of the water. He even stated in verse 40 that he was talking about this corrupt generation! I'd say 50 years later in 70 AD can safely be called the next one. He was talking about current things taking place.... NOW!

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scripture discussed here....
If any man willeth to do his will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it is of God, or [whether] I speak from myself. John 17:7

So you believe Jesus went around just making these meaningless statements that have no connection to any purpose? Isn't that what they'd be if Jesus wasn't telling them they have free will to choose or not to choose? He's basically saying "Look if you choose to believe God will manifest himself to you in such a way that you'll know it's absolute truth" First comes the choosing then comes the manifesting. It seems Calvinist types have it backwards....they put God does the manifesting....and then oh well your choices will start being right.
Men have a will....self will.
It is not "free"....but rather bound by their fallen nature.
Jesus always did the will of the Father.
His will was not free.
His Holy nature did not allow Him to sin.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have an idea. How about I go with what God says instead of what you say?
Yes...go with what God says;

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read the Bible one time without imposing onto it the theology that you have been taught by men. From:

"15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

To:
"18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

The Bible is full of commands and men's free choices of whether to obey those commands or not. To suggest otherwise is to render the whole Book meaningless.
Men make choices every day. That has nothing to do with the philosophical concept called free will. Nothing at all.
In heaven we will not be free to sin....God is not "free" to sin.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here you provide us with your opinion but without exegetical support.

Do you read Greek? Do you know Greek grammar to the point of being able to exegete NT Greek accurately?
Not once anywhere in the bible...not one time.Never because of ...always, by faith, or through faith..
Faith is only the instrumentality.
Here is another one for you....the word love was never used in the book of Acts.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Not once anywhere in the bible...not one time.Never because of ...always, by faith, or through faith..
Faith is only the instrumentality.
Here is another one for you....the word love was never used in the book of Acts.

Now answer my question:

Do you read Greek? Do you know Greek grammar to the point of being able to exegete NT Greek accurately?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this issue. I personally think you down right know however that your position on Act 2 when Peter said said "“Save yourselves from this corrupt generation" to say that's in reference to Jerusalem and 70 AD I think you know that's very, very weak. You just can't stand by to have any Apostle declare save yourself and repent which the next verse says they did. To accept that is to accept Calvinistic thinking is blown right out of the water. He even stated in verse 40 that he was talking about this corrupt generation! I'd say 50 years later in 70 AD can safely be called the next one. He was talking about current things taking place.... NOW!
You are preaching salvation by works, and lifting this verse from its context to prove it.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes...go with what God says;

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
I already believe in prevenient (not irresistible) grace, so have no problem with that verse.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I already believe in prevenient (not irresistible) grace, so have no problem with that verse.
That is a nice teaching...prevenient grace...it would be much better if it actually was taught in the bible. It is taught nowhere in scripture as most of your ideas are inventions with no scripture,

• Agree
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0