Preacher perplexed that I didn't come to church to listen to him...

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every 2 or 3 weeks one guy, who travels to the church from 20 miles away, preaches. And I am sure it is good stuff.
But last time, he remembered that I don't go to that morning service, whereas I do come after the service to be available to take people home and fellowship. I worship at another local fellowship.
Well, he made a beeline for me, and said...(some paraphrasing), "I was preaching this morning you know, and God laid on my heart to talk about.........I know you weren't there..... but anyway..."
He basically repeated the sermon for my benefit and obviously thought I would miss out spiritually for not having heard it and this showed that I really needed to be more diligent in hearing the preacher in the future. After 5 minutes, he drew breath, and was interrupted by another member, who said about me, "you know, ....., was here in the building last night, setting up with 2 others the stage, the chairs, the mics, speakers and the pulpit. And you now, he has done it every Saturday for the last two years, so that the preacher can preach to a congregation"
There was silence as the man digested this and was working out whether there was a spiritual lesson for him here. He wasn't sure whether such a ministry entitled a person to neglect the Word of God in this way. That's the better interpretation.
Another unkinder interpretation is that he was just personally piqued.
So the deeper question is, not whether preaching is more important than moving chairs, (lets accept that it is), but whether any preacher has the right to have a congregation to listen to him, or even whether soulish aspects of pride can so easily infect such a public ministry.
What do you think?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every 2 or 3 weeks one guy, who travels to the church from 20 miles away, preaches. And I am sure it is good stuff.
But last time, he remembered that I don't go to that morning service, whereas I do come after the service to be available to take people home and fellowship. I worship at another local fellowship.
Well, he made a beeline for me, and said...(some paraphrasing), "I was preaching this morning you know, and God laid on my heart to talk about.........I know you weren't there..... but anyway..."
He basically repeated the sermon for my benefit and obviously thought I would miss out spiritually for not having heard it and this showed that I really needed to be more diligent in hearing the preacher in the future. After 5 minutes, he drew breath, and was interrupted by another member, who said about me, "you know, ....., was here in the building last night, setting up with 2 others the stage, the chairs, the mics, speakers and the pulpit. And you now, he has done it every Saturday for the last two years, so that the preacher can preach to a congregation"
There was silence as the man digested this and was working out whether there was a spiritual lesson for him here. He wasn't sure whether such a ministry entitled a person to neglect the Word of God in this way. That's the better interpretation.
Another unkinder interpretation is that he was just personally piqued.
So the deeper question is, not whether preaching is more important than moving chairs, (lets accept that it is), but whether any preacher has the right to have a congregation to listen to him, or even whether soulish aspects of pride can so easily infect such a public ministry.
What do you think?
I think that it is a TRADITION ... to LISTEN to preaching weekly.

So long as you are staying in the Word, ... and rendering service to the Church, ... I believe that you are in good standing.

I've attended church weekly for 55 years now, ... but have also participated in numerous Bible Studies not related to my church, plus I do my own study, plus I've taught Sunday School/Bible Study for 35+ years now.

A necessity for Sunday morning sermons ... is that hey will be understandable to ALL who might attend, including first-timers, or those who have remained unfamiliar with the basics of christian teaching.

So, the typical Sunday moring sermon can be kinda basic, if not a sermon that you've heard before. I think that they can be forgone, in many cases, by the mature believer.

In my case, ... I'm practically always there, ... but I may not always be "tuned in".

Also, like you, I am involved weekly in seting up and breaking down ... and whatever else needs to be done.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm trying not to focus on the man himself, but the issue.
What was the sin in the Garden of Eden? Pride. The thought that I am the centre of the universe. I can be nice to others (because it makes life better for me) and even to God (for the same reason), but we are not acknowledging Him as the centre.
Well, if it IS pride - this centrality of the self (and not lust, or carnality, or greed), then I've seen it all my life, in myself and in those who are piqued by their ministry not being taken seriously enough. People who only talk about themselves and their achievements and what God has said to them.
Do you know the example of servanthood that Jesus exemplified? Washing feet. He chose this because there was no way it could be twisted into a self-serving thing. Nobody noticed or cared about the footwasher.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I've always wondered about the "God laid it on me." Of course if God actually revealed that you should be there, then you should.

I think for someone to claim direct inspiration, there should be a pretty serious review of that person's ministry before you accept it, and if it's not true, or it's just a way of speaking, it seems pretty near to taking the name of the Lord in vain.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you described shows immaturity on the preacher's part. What's it to him if you weren't there.
It's his job to preach the word regardless of who's there or not.
If it was such an important message that needed to be relayed to someone in person then delivering it individually would suit just as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What do you think?
What I think is that the preacher guy was off-base in all the ways you explained, but also that you might be well advised to let his actions on that occasion pass without further comment.

For one thing, you could say to yourself that he was so enthusiastic about the importance of the message you missed, that you can afford to be kind and forgive that particular confrontation after the service was ended. This one time.

For another, you very fortunately had a third person take your side without you having to do it yourself, so this means that the preacher guy may have "gotten the message" and will profit from it hereafter. So you can hope that he goes away somewhat chastened. His reaction seems to suggest that.

If that ISN'T what happens in the future, you could get back to us about it. For the present, I'd say to just let it pass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0