Praying while sitting on the pot (serious question)

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not an easy question to ask but,
I'm going for it.

I do a lot of praying while sitting on the pot in the morning.

Been doing this for many years.

Starting to wonder if this may be disrespectful?

Something almost always included in these prayers is a thank you that everything is working good down here. As we get older we understand what a blessing it is to have good working body parts.

A serious question asked.
Curious regarding your thoughts.

Have a blessed day,
Bob

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It would certainly be an extreme interpretation of Ephesians 6:18. In my view it's not something a person should try and convince everyone in their circle of believers as something that should be given as doctrinal belief, one way or the other. It's a matter of conscience, plus for either side it may also just be something to trumpet about how righteous they are.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you believe that your posture or body movement can show reverence to God or have any effect on Him.....for instance, kneeling or raising hands.....signs of a cross etc... Then you would be right in feeling that what you propose, would be a sign of disrespect which could have a negative effect on Him.

I personally believe that what we do with our bodies during prayer matters not. So it all depends on what you believe...

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I Thess 5:16-18 Rejoice always, 17pray continually (without ceasing), 18give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Phil 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Eph 6:18 Pray in the Spirit at all times, with every kind of prayer and petition. To this end, stay alert with all perseverance in your prayers for all the saints.

Romans 14:22,23 Keep your belief about such matters between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.

Verses to consider.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not an easy question to ask but,
I'm going for it.

I do a lot of praying while sitting on the pot in the morning.

Been doing this for many years.

Starting to wonder if this may be disrespectful?

Something almost always included in these prayers is a thank you that everything is working good down here. As we get older we understand what a blessing it is to have good working body parts.

A serious question asked.
Curious regarding your thoughts.

Have a blessed day,
Bob
I'm going to double post because I believe the following thoughts are different enough to deserve being handled separately.

It's about a movie scene that sticks out in my mind that portrays human behavior in a truthful manner. Where a married couple are having to navigate a very hostile apocalyptic world. You see the wife on a bed curled up in a fetal position weeping in despair all alone. When her husband walks into the room and calls to her in a loving way, she immediately gets up and her entire disposition changes to that of encouragement and hope.

The way I see it being in the bathroom is one of those times when we're alone and if a person is confronting those kind of hardships that heavily weary our souls, it's only follows to call out to someone who will help encourage us and give us hope.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2019
Midwest
✟32,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
FYI, Do you dress up for church? The I would dress up for prayer. Remember who you're talking to, it's not just a king, He's a God.
I would feel far more comfortable going to God in filthy rags with dirt all over me than any earthly king.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are told to pray always. I don't think it matters so much where you are. It's a quiet, private place. I pray in the shower often.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are told to pray always.
Not really. we are told to pray without ceasing.
So if I pray this morning and tomorrow morning and the next day and the next, I have not ceased; but i would not be praying "always."

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really. we are told to pray without ceasing.
So if I pray this morning and tomorrow morning and the next day and the next, I have not ceased; but i would not be praying "always."
What do you have to say about these verses?:

"Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man"

"And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
LOL! Bob, i don't believe that God gets "offended" if we're sitting on the "pot" praying. Good grief, haven't you ever been sick and sitting on the "pot" asking God to help you? What about if you're sick at both ends at the same time (i've been there...pardon my bluntness, but i HAVE prayed in all KINDS of situations). I've played Mahjong Connect just to focus my mind and "settle down" and pray during it. It helps me "think". Same with chess. Same with being on this site. I pray for others as i type. I've ALWAYS been an "out-of-the-box" soul, and God KNOWS this and He "bears with me" in all KINDS of situations and "postures". He is GRACIOUS. And i THANK Him that He is. I'm sooooo thankful He reads my heart, above ALL ELSE.

Here's a real gem. There was a very "rough" guy who was recently converted, and he was invited to give a brief testimony in front of the church. So he gets up there, and gives a brief testimony. Then he says "what the h*** do i do now?" Well here's what comes to mind for me....

Peter, Jesus' own apostle "cussed". He was what i call a "recovering cuss-er". This rough and gruff man i mentioned above is also a "recovering cuss-er". God HAS this. God saw his "heart", even if he IS still "rough around the edges".

I am a "recovering cuss-er" myself. I was soooo bad, i'd "make up" cuss words just to get a poetic "stream" of them, so to speak.

God sees our "heart" regardless if we're sitting on the "pot" or not, and He also sees our "heart" if we're recovering from a "potty mouth".

God bless you. :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you have to say about these verses?:

"Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man"

"And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;"
Again the sense is the same. Pray and keep doing it every day. Not that you are praying 24/7. That is a very modern interpretation.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A local poet of some renown once wrote, if I remember it right, "...sitting on the toilet in the middle of the night is a strange place to meet you, God."

LOL!

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2019
Midwest
✟32,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again the sense is the same. Pray and keep doing it every day. Not that you are praying 24/7. That is a very modern interpretation.
No it isn't. Orthodox Christians, and especially monks, have taken "pray without ceasing" to mean to literally always pray for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years. Monks pray the Jesus Prayer at all times throughout the day, consistently and constantly, inwardly or outwardly, to the point of their heart beating with the prayer and it being on their lips upon waking.

Upvote 0